Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2014, 10:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

what are these

In the overhead compartment above the passenger seat in my 2014 Sightseer 33c are anumber of audio/video cables. I've been able to identify all the cable but these. Anybody know what they are?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140910_113948[1].jpg
Views:	203
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	73518   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140910_113909[1].jpg
Views:	191
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	73519  

gwtriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I would guess antenna wires that should be stuck to the back wall.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

My best guess, Is I/R Blasters.

These are used along with a receiver box mounted elsewhere to remotely operate A/V devices.. For example if you put one in front of yoru DVD/Blue ray player, then you can control it by pointing to a small box in your other (Bed room) room and it will work from there, even with the door closed.

or you could put the other one in front of yoru DVR or Sat receiver.

NOTE: This assumes the flat side is double sided tape covered,

Note also.. This kind of system usually works very well.

Here is a link to a different model of what I think these are.. (Sony version on Amazon)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls?ie=UTF8&me=
Old 09-10-2014, 01:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

wa8yxm ... followed up on your reply ... from the pictures on amazon, they are the I/R blasters. What do I do with them?
Old 09-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

These 2 cable terminate near the bedroom TV. They are to control 2 remote control A/V devices, that can be controlled with a remote control, from the bedroom. I use one for the satellite receiver and the other for the DVD player. This allows me to have both satellite receivers in the front entertainment cabinet, one on top of the other. I place aluminum foil over the sat receiver that I use for the bedroom so the living room remote does not trigger it.

These 2 cables are shown in the wiring schematics for your TV/entertainment wiring.

-Tom, W3TLN
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

What to do with them... When I had a sticks and bricks I had 3 DVR's. Originally I had two VCR's but I upgraded....

When I had two VCRs I used an I/R Remote device made by Radio Shack (I still have it and am considering putting it in the RV but... well, there is an issue with that, (Code conflict)

I put the receiver module (Which eats electricity I might add) in the basement, The coax from the VCR upstairs ran down to the basement tv via the power supply/receiver for the IR Remote.

The blasters (Well one of 'em) was upstairs in front of the VCR.

That way I could control the bedroom VCR from the basement comptuer station.. Worked great

The problem here is that I now have but two DVR's. one in bedroom, one "Living room" (Main entainerment center) they both take the same remote codes.

My bedroom TV and living room TV both take the same codes

The digital converter in the living room for OTA TV (to the vintage DVRs) is an Echostar product, takes the same codes as the Sat receiver in the bedroom (The Digital converter in bedroom is differnet)

But you get the idea. If I put that thing in all the remotes in the bedroom would be operating stuff in the living room too.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your replies!

With your help and GOOGLE was able to figure out the system I have in my rig and how it works. No longer have to keep the compartment door open and aim my remote towards the dish box in it to change channels.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwtriker View Post
Thanks for your replies!

With your help and GOOGLE was able to figure out the system I have in my rig and how it works. No longer have to keep the compartment door open and aim my remote towards the dish box in it to change channels.
I believe you should have been given a "Supplementary Owners Manual" as part of the documentation in the owners briefcase when you purchased the motorhome. This manual is specific to the equipment installed on your motorhome. It should include a section on the entertainment systems, what each component does, and how to operate them.

When we purchased our 2013 Adventurer it came with the generic owners manual and the supplemental manual. The supplemental manual was twice the size of the generic one, and contained all the details for each component/system installed, including appliances, entertainment system, electrical system, generator, plumbing, etc., etc.

If you didn't get a supplemental manual ask if it's available. It'll come in very handy over the years when you need service, replacement parts, or just need to review how to operate systems that you rarely use.