Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Weekend maint. Watcha doing to your rig???

Well we are having a very warm January here in Sacramento Ca. Im in the HVAC business and this weather is not condusive to business so I have 1 service call on Saturday and then a free weekend. Im planning on doing some power washing under the coach and some frame rust repair this weekend. Im also going to install my Nathan Airchime Train horns under the coach as well. I have a slide seal that I want to try and fix. Its on the bottom of a slide and it seems that about 15" of the adhesive has become undone and not sticking anymore. Any tips on a fix???When the slide is out you can see daylight from the inside along with a air draft.I installed a new kitchen faucet but dont like it so I think I will replace it again as well. Busy weekend ahead.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Adjusting a leaning mirror, washing the radiators. hanging my EZ Pass, testing bay heater and block heater, checking EMS settings and cleaning tires and rims. If I get real ambitious I will pin the motor shaft on C of C electric awning so it doesn't unfurl driving down the road again.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Wash the pine needles and moss off the rig, finish the front LED TV install and work on the rear LCD TV install.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Supposed to hit 50 here in CT tomorrow . . . I was trying to convince the "better half" that I could fill up the water tank and we could head to Charlestown Breachway this weekend. I'd just have to re-winterize when we got home. While they're technically closed for the season, there is a boat ramp with year round access there and they leave it open year round . . . never been bothered there off season, in fact we get to bring the dogs then!

Unfortunately, she's already packed everything away for the season that can't stay in the RV and she's not feeling my enthusiasm.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Just got ours all set back up after shop maintance so got to redo the inside cleaning and clearing (they ain't too good about knockin' the mud off their boots here in VA). Scrapin' the layer of seasalt off the windows and getting the body washed up too. No major work but blessin' the warmer weather for a few more days
usnwife23454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

the4js, go to Walmart and get some Shoe Goo. It comes in a 3.7 oz red and white tube. It takes about 24 hours to dry, max strength 48-72 hrs, but from my experience, it is pretty tough and stays pliable. Better than contact cement which hardens after a while.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Wash the pine needles and moss off the rig, finish the front LED TV install and work on the rear LCD TV install.

Dont forget to post some pictures of the rear tv install. Thats on my list as well.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Changed the shower control valve. Got tired of hitting the old one and suddenly having all hot or cold water (Hot Hurts). I'm mad though, thought the one I bought had flow control put no luck. Temp control only! Told it's due to safety to prevent scolding (Lawyers ), but full hot I do know.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Well Gang,
It took me a while to figure out how to lower the wood trim and plastic bottom of the front tv on our '04 Itasca Horizon because ever since we purchased the rig, about 8-9 months ago, the tv in the front has had an annoying squeak during certain road conditions. We've had small, thin pieced of plastic stuck under the tv and the floor for it.

Well, after much head banging, I got my son in there and in about a minute a half, he figured out how to lower the entire wood trim and plastic bottom of that tv. From there, I removed all the stops and overhead clamping bar and re-lined all of it with sticky foam/weather stripping. I thing re-installed all the stops, the over head clamp and, banged on the tv and its surroundings and no more squeak. I put all the trim etc back together that's done.

Now, I set up my hydraulic motor cycle lift on the back for quick removal for those times when we're just using a toad instead of having the bike and the toad so now, I've got to build a trailer hitch to install in the brackets of the lift cradles so we can tow our new Honda CRV to Quartzite in a couple of weeks. Yahooo. I get a kick out of all the vendors there. There's always something I need there.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:02 AM   #10
TW
Winnebago Camper

Had the GEN Service done at the local ONAN (Cummins) Dealer, and keep it clean and in good service, so we can go or sell it....
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

The4js, I assume you are talking about the kitchen slide exterior bottom seal. I had the exact same problem and the dealer installed a new seal under my extended warranty. However, there is a lot of friction on that seal when that slide is used both in and out. W. corrected the problem in later years so I devised a solution similar to theirs and it has been working fine. Since this problem seems to be an early 39K issue, I won't take up a lot of space here, but if you want to PM me I can tell you exactly what I did, a fairly simple and inexpensive fix.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

The4js, oh, forgot to mention in my previous post, the dealer installed replacement seal began separating from the body also which is what led to my solution.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

To answer your original question, we are loading up for a 9 Jan departure for a coastal trip down to Riverside, San Diego, Quartzsite, Parker, Phoenix, Yuma, Las Vegas and points between for our annual winter trek out of N.CA. Will return on/about 1 Mar. Am taking my waxing materials as I will have free time to do that wonderful chore. All preparation and maintenance has been completed but there is always something to do or fix down the road, as you well know.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Well after the last two trips in the rain, mine sure needs a bath. If anyone needs a project, I'll provide the bucket, suds, brush and a hose. Shoot, I'll even throw in a 6 pack of wobbly pop....only after the rig is properly scrubbed.

It can wait a few months fro the wax.....

Ken
Old 01-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Weekend maint. Watcha doing to your rig????

the4js, hopefully I've figured out how to attached some pics to show some upgrades/mods we made to our 39K. You asked about the rear tv changeout--I used the old frame/bracket and cut it down to keep mounted on the door to attach the tv. You will see the additional storage space you gain(we have yet to organize it). The box in the lower right rear covers the w/d plumbing. Hope this helps. (If the pics don't show up, I'll have to re-group, and I'm sorry)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00756.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	16946   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00757.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	16947  

Name:	DSC00760.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	16948   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00794.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	16949  

Name:	DSC00764.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	16950  
Old 01-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

It's 75 here, just north of Houston, TX. I found a safe path to run coax cable under the bed, down thru a bay and drilled a hole in the floor of the bay. The factory coax to the outlet on the wall next to the bed is defective.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Well after the last two trips in the rain, mine sure needs a bath. If anyone needs a project, I'll provide the bucket, suds, brush and a hose. Shoot, I'll even throw in a 6 pack of wobbly pop....only after the rig is properly scrubbed.

It can wait a few months fro the wax.....

Ken
Man if I was only in your area, what a generous offer. Sorry I missed it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

We are getting ready for our trip to Fort Wilderness. So today I checked all tire pressures and set to 90PSI. Vacuumed out the back of the Fridge (the outside section where fires start), unloaded the fall hunting gear and checked the basement for all the extra cords and lights required for decorating our sight. This is just the start of the pre-trip checklist but there is no place like the Fort.
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Moved into our new built stick house in Nov and today was the day to move the MH from the daughter's house to our house. Got it out and made a short road trip, 53 miles and as heading back the rain started and the slush was there. Nothing like parking in a new location, get the elec cable out and hooked up, and pouring down rain. Hopefully I will get it leveled and all set up in a couple of days. Got to get ready for a WV and TN trip this fall. The guitar, mandolin and fiddle are ready for a Bluegrass workout.
desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

I plan on doing the trans filter change out. Wish me luck
wecamp2 is offline   Reply With Quote