Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2015, 03:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Watching TV

It seems to me that watching the TV that is over the front seats is a pain for the person sitting sideways on the couch. Am I the only one to notice that only a few coaches have a TV on the side across from the coach?
Kiltedpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

You are correct. I get a stiff neck when I watch the TV while sitting on the couch. So when we purchased our current coach we have 2 couches on opposing slides. My DW and I can both lay on the couches and watch TV. No more stiff neck.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We carefully looked at the TV location when searching for our present RV. Most floor plans had the TV(s) in locations where "head on" viewing was impossible. Since we spend a lot of time inside the motorhome we did not want a constant sore/stiff neck. Our sofa is directly across from the angled TV. Head on viewing is possible in most locations especially the sofa.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
You are correct. I get a stiff neck when I watch the TV while sitting on the couch. So when we purchased our current coach we have 2 couches on opposing slides. My DW and I can both lay on the couches and watch TV. No more stiff neck.

Don
Ever think about a strategically placed mirror?
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We were lucky when we bought our MH.. the couch on the drivers side was missing and we had our two Lazy Boy recliners from our fifthwheel. we put them where the couch was and when we get settled I move them to face the front tv.. still have plenty of room to get past to the kitchen and we have a small table inbetween the chairs.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I too felt that watching TV from the side facing sofa was a pain in the neck. This spring I removed the front overhead TV and replaced it with a cabinet. (One head banger gone.) The swivel recliner and wall desk which were across from the sofa were also removed. In their place I built a floor mounted cabinet that holds the new 32” LED TV. No more stiff necks.

I was fortunate that Winnebago had connected the AC outlet behind the passenger seat to the inverter. This wall outlet was an easy reach for new TV.

I was also lucky with the TV antenna cable. The valance above the passenger window is just a hollow box with a clear access to the existing TV cable switch box. I ran a new cable from the switch box, thru the valance, thru an existing hidden hole at the end of the valance down a trim feature on the wall and up under my new TV cabinet.
JoeSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:59 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Our Itasca Suncruiser came with a recliner and a love seat across the aisle from a Sony TV. We bought this motorhome specifically because of this floor plan. It is like sitting in your living room at home and watching TV. We will never buy a floor plan that isn't set up this way.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Watching TV between those 2 front seats side ways is a pain. Reminds me of the drive in movies with a girl, never could get comfortable.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

We cut and glued together some left over pieces of foam into a tall triangular shape that fit into the corner. Covered it with Ultra Leather Plus left over from our reupholstering of all of the furniture in the motor home. When I leaned back, my back and the back of my head were supported by the top of the cushion.
In conjunction with a footrest and a tall rectangular arm cushion we made - also covered in Ultra Leather - I ended up with a comfortable TV watching setup.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:09 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Our's also has the front TV, sofa & big recliner. Wife took the recliner, so I'll "recline" on the sofa. After a while, she didn't care for the OEM recliner, and wanted a new one. She picked out an Ekornes Euro-recliner with matching ottoman. It was $1400, and made in Norway, and she loves it. It is upholstered in good quality, off-white leather, that is almost perfect match for the ultraleather cockpit seats.

I still lay on the couch to watch TV.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:04 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Well you know what they say. You should have payed closer attention to those type of things when you were looking at MH's. Just like weather or not you can access the bathroom when traveling or can you get into the fridge without having to extend a slide. How is the access to an from the door to the cockpit? Can you get there safely or so you have to be made of rubber just to get in and out.
Hows the TV viewing? Yeah not a good place for the tV, then don't buy it and keep looking. If people would stop buying those type of MH's then maybe they would stop making them.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:06 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We do not watch much TV but if we do the 40 inch raises up out of the credenza and we then sit on our couch and or the recliner and enjoy it.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:55 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

When we looked for our rig at the Pomona RV Show, we found that the the dash TV was no longer the norm for class A. DPs or Gassers. Seems like the industry is in lock step once again.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:29 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Ours is located over driver seat in corner. Old style had already been replaced with a flat screen when we bought it. The mount they used actually allows us to move the TV out and over. It did require adding Velcro straps for travel. Works great for us
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:38 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
Ours is located over driver seat in corner. Old style had already been replaced with a flat screen when we bought it. The mount they used actually allows us to move the TV out and over. It did require adding Velcro straps for travel. Works great for us
When we purchased our MH the previous owner had also done this, but after a while my wife decided that much of her discomfort with watching TV was due to the fact that it was still "up" near the ceiling. After some searching I came up with a mount that swings the 40" TV nearly to the middle of the MH while also permitting it to drop down nearly a foot. The mount is designed so that the entire weight of the TV is counterbalanced by springs so it doesn't take any effort at all to move it. My wife finds having the TV in this position produces far less neck strain for her.

We also tie the TV in place for travel with some soft bungees.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:23 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltedpig View Post
It seems to me that watching the TV that is over the front seats is a pain for the person sitting sideways on the couch. Am I the only one to notice that only a few coaches have a TV on the side across from the coach?
Having the 40" TV on the wall above the buffet and opposing slideouts is what sold us on our floor plan. The TV is comfortably viewable from all seating locations. The Euro chair and sofa are opposite the TV just like it is at home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Sunova 33C Floorplan.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	96453  
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:47 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
When we purchased our MH the previous owner had also done this, but after a while my wife decided that much of her discomfort with watching TV was due to the fact that it was still "up" near the ceiling. After some searching I came up with a mount that swings the 40" TV nearly to the middle of the MH while also permitting it to drop down nearly a foot. The mount is designed so that the entire weight of the TV is counterbalanced by springs so it doesn't take any effort at all to move it. My wife finds having the TV in this position produces far less neck strain for her.

We also tie the TV in place for travel with some soft bungees.
Do you have a link to brand of mount you used and where yo buy it. I'd love that even more than the set up we have
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:12 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
Do you have a link to brand of mount you used and where yo buy it. I'd love that even more than the set up we have
Here's the item I have:

Wall Mount Arm Ergotron 45-353-026 LX

It's a very well-made product. If you shop around I think you might be able to now find slightly lower prices elsewhere.

We have it mounted to a piece of 2x4 that is set vertically in the old TV cabinet. It holds a 40" Samsung TV with no difficulty at all. One thing I like is that with the counterbalance springs it goes back into its stowed position and stays there. We only strap it when we're actually traveling.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote