Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

walkie talkie

Gents..

We have a 2005 Journey 36ft diesel that has a built in walkie talkie charging unit on the lower right side of drivers console.

We do not use them.... Has anyone taken this unit out and built a shelf or cubby hole to hold books, phones etc. to replace it?

There is just a big empty hole when you remove the four screws holding the unit in place.

Mark
malk415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Mark, On my 2006 Journey 36G, I found that to be an great place for a 10 inch woolfer speaker. I built a wooden box just big enough for the speaker and added an external amplifier to the stock in dash radio which really made the sound system come alive.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:40 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Interesting. The previous owner of my motorhome did exactly that. He took out the radios and put in a shelf, where we keep flashlights and bug spray near the door. If you do decide to take out the radios, I would like to have them. Would you sell them?
Old 09-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Sir...
I am going to take out the radios, it is just a matter of when.

You can have the radios.

Mark
malk415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thank you very much! If you will let me know when you take them out I will send you money for shipping. Again, thanks!
Old 09-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

FYI, if you ever sign-on with a caravan they nearly all use walkie talkies for communication. Wish we'd had your setup, AA batteries got expensive and we're doing one next year too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:29 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
FYI, if you ever sign-on with a caravan they nearly all use walkie talkies for communication. Wish we'd had your setup, AA batteries got expensive and we're doing one next year too.
Just curious ... when caravanning, would a regular CB radio work? Or do the walkie talkies work on a different band? I know there are handheld CBs but not sure if they are the same as the walkie talkies you are talking about.
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Walkie talkies are on a different band than CB radios, the two are not compatible. Any walkie talkie brand will work as they use the FRS=family radio service channels only. They do not use the GMRS channels as they require an FCC license.
My talkies use AA batteries, had to replace them every other day. The folks with rechargeable talkies never had to worry about them going dead because they stored them in the charger every night.
Three of us out of 13 rigs had CB's, we only used them when the caravan got really spread-out, so the rear group could communicate with the wagonmasters group in front. Often that did not work in mountainous areas.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info. I will keep an eye out for a pair of the walkie talkies to use for caravan travel. Should help with parking the rig too.

Jack
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:32 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Amazon sells rechargeable walkie talkies for about $25 a pair.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:33 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwitt View Post
Thanks for the info. I will keep an eye out for a pair of the walkie talkies to use for caravan travel. Should help with parking the rig too.

Jack
We got ours at Cabalas after hunting season from the bargain cave, the person working there said some hunters buy them to use during hunting season then return them to the store after, (IMOP not sure if that is right ) but nevertheless I got a good deal on them They have rechargeable AAA batteries in them but you don't have to take batteries out just plug them in. Think we gave 20 for the pair
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwitt View Post

Jack
Welcome. We use them in tight places or if she goes ahead of me to check things out.
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

I first bought some cheap Midland talkies at WalMart, and got exactly what I paid for. My present set are Motorola's, best money I ever spent on talkies. They work on AA batteries, OR, you may buy the rechargeable battery packs and charging station.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:33 AM   #14
OWV
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I first bought some cheap Midland talkies at WalMart, and got exactly what I paid for. My present set are Motorola's, best money I ever spent on talkies. They work on AA batteries, OR, you may buy the rechargeable battery packs and charging station.
Are these push to talk or are they a constant on variety where we can use them to carry on a hands free conversation? We want to use them primarily for parking and be able to talk to each other and still have our hands free for driving and for hand signals.

Regards,
OWV, Our Wandering View
Entegra Anthem, 44B
OWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:38 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWV View Post
Are these push to talk or are they a constant on variety where we can use them to carry on a hands free conversation? We want to use them primarily for parking and be able to talk to each other and still have our hands free for driving and for hand signals. Regards, OWV, Our Wandering View Entegra Anthem, 44B
Try these for full duplex (talk and hear at same time) and hands free too....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4214647841.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	336.1 KB
ID:	55526   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1332171072.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	580.6 KB
ID:	55527  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3066795286.jpg