Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2008, 03:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I am in the process of upgrading to from an analog tv to an lcd tv. I've found the photo post by franko8400 to be very helpful when I removed the Sony Trinitron tv out of my 2004 Winnebago Journey.

When I removed the Sony, I had to disconnect a "noise suppressor" that was wired into the back of the Sony TV. This noise suppressor has a round body, one end wired directly into the television (not with rca plug, but into the tv set), and the other end terminating in a wire that has an rca plug (white and red). When I disconnected the rca portion, there was a very audible hum until I unplugged the television. I think (although I really don't know) that the noise suppressor has something to do with the sound surround or controls other component aspects of the whole tv operation.

Here is where I need some HELP and good advice!! When I install the new LCD into my motorhome (a 32"Samsung lcd tv).......will it be necessary to use the noise suppressor? If the noise suppressor has to be reconnected.....how will it be attached to the new tv?? The tv connectivity part is that which I am worried about. I have downloaded wiring diagrams from the winnebago resource pages. The diagram shows the noise suppressor coming out of the tv (audio out) and going to an (audio in) unit (this unit is unidentified in the diagram). I appreciate the guidance and suggestions of my colleagues in this forum. Thanks for your time and assistance.
mycoolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I am in the process of upgrading to from an analog tv to an lcd tv. I've found the photo post by franko8400 to be very helpful when I removed the Sony Trinitron tv out of my 2004 Winnebago Journey.

When I removed the Sony, I had to disconnect a "noise suppressor" that was wired into the back of the Sony TV. This noise suppressor has a round body, one end wired directly into the television (not with rca plug, but into the tv set), and the other end terminating in a wire that has an rca plug (white and red). When I disconnected the rca portion, there was a very audible hum until I unplugged the television. I think (although I really don't know) that the noise suppressor has something to do with the sound surround or controls other component aspects of the whole tv operation.

Here is where I need some HELP and good advice!! When I install the new LCD into my motorhome (a 32"Samsung lcd tv).......will it be necessary to use the noise suppressor? If the noise suppressor has to be reconnected.....how will it be attached to the new tv?? The tv connectivity part is that which I am worried about. I have downloaded wiring diagrams from the winnebago resource pages. The diagram shows the noise suppressor coming out of the tv (audio out) and going to an (audio in) unit (this unit is unidentified in the diagram). I appreciate the guidance and suggestions of my colleagues in this forum. Thanks for your time and assistance.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:23 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

This was exactly the same situation I had when I replaced the front TV in my 2004 Vectra.

You have it right - the noise suppressor connections from the audio out is what feeds your surround-sound system (usually controlled by switches on the dash.)

You need to attach it to the Audio-Out on the new TV, usually with standard RCA red/white jacks.

One note - check if your tv has a "variable sound output" setting in it's setup functions. If it doesn't, the sound out to the surround-sound is fixed and the remote will not adjust the volume. This one bit me. If your tv has this, then you are fine; if not, then you either need to (1) live with it (loud) or (2) put a POT inline with a manual dial to control the surround-sound volume or (3) so I've heard but not tried, tap the TV's speakers directly for the sound feed (requires access to the TV's speakers and some soldering).

Hope this helps...
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

As noted, hope your new Samsung has variable audio out. If not (my Samsung LCD had fixed audio out) you have a couple of options to make the connection to the surround sound:

1. use the headphone jack on the TV. This will give you variable audio out to the surround but will kill the TV speakers.

2. use a couple of 10K audio pots in a project box in the fixed audio out lines which will allow you to adjust the sound level of the surround. That is what I elected to do and it works fine.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I am glad that the photos helped you on your install. I also had the Noise Supressor but did not connect a new one(from Radio Shack) to the new TV as my EE friend said try it first to see if you need one. I had no noise issue with the new TV. My new TV is a Sony Bravia 32" LCD and I had 2 audio outs (one Analog, one Digital) I used the Digital and have no issue using the Surround Sound System in the MH. One thing you can try -- my Surround System has a VCR and I can use the VCR tuner to get Audio by matching the channel number on the VCR tuner to the TV, works great.
Frank O.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:03 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I had intended to contact you earlier to thank you for the photos regarding the upgrade. Your photos were quite helpful. So far, everything seems to be on going well. I had some concern about the noise suppressor. I will take your recommendations and advice. I'm fairly confident that the upgrade will work out quite nicely, however, I tend to procedure deliberately and with care. Again, my deepest appreciation. I just recently joined the irv2 forums and have found this web site very helpful. My best to you.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Your quite welcome. Please share your results of your upgrade through feedback (as you are) and through pictures. This site is great and will continue to be of value as long as the users continue to share their experiences and knowledge.
Frank O.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:15 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If the noise suppressor has to be reconnected.....how will it be attached to the new tv?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just ran into the same problem installing my LCD TV. The Company that makes my surround amp are at the following LINK

The surround system requires speaker level input. If you take the old Sony apart you will see that this filter is wired directly to the speakers.

smlranger has suggested a good way of connecting it by way of the headphone socket if your TV has this connection.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I've had my hands on this (it's hard to reach) and suspect that it's an impedance matching transformer, not a noise suppressor. Who knows where they needed to pull pre-amped audio out of a TV that previously didn't have that output from.

So, take the line level audio out of the new LCD and stick it into whatever the input the existing cable goes and you should be fine.

BTW- Don't worry about the hum, that's normal on all low level audio when you remove its ground.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

my sincere appreciation to all who replied to my original inquiry........this is an excellent forum and resource.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:38 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2004 Journey. Spent the last week swapping out the Sony for a 32" Sharp. Sharp 32" Aquis is the only one that will fit in the hole after the trim is remoived. The space between is 31", the TV is 1/2 inch narrower. The 4 screws to remove the trim was right wehre everyone said it was and the plastic is removed after taking the center covers off the screw holes. Fior the Sharp to recess and not be a head banger when getting in the coach you need to trim 3" off the strap that holds the TV. Easy cut with metal blade and a little hand sawing with a hacksaw at the corners. The wood trim can be reused for the top and lower edges. A wall mount can be mounted on wood placed between the side walls. The side pieces are cut and re-use the lower parts to slide back up under the cabinets. I cut 3 inches off the lower lip of the plastic cover and it goes right up to the front mewtal cross rail. I painted everything a high gloss black to match the tv. To make the surround sytem work you have to purchase a Ground-Loop Isolator ( suppresor ) Radio Shack Part # 270-054 and is about $ 20.00. You can save a trip by buying connectors ( male to male )for $ 5.00 as the part is male and the part to connect to is male. Without it the hummm will drive you nuts.
Ed46135 is offline   Reply With Quote