Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Upgrade BR TV

I have a 2004 Winnebago Journey that currently has the original RCA TV and I want to upgrade to an HD LCD. The original cabinetry doesn't really work due to it being of the rounded front type to fit the old TV. I was wondering if anyone knew what year the Journey went to a flat screen HD TV. I can of course contact Winnebago, but thought someone might have already made the switch. I think the best option may be for me to swap put the factory cabinet with the newer style that wound accomodate a flat screen HD TV.

TIA,

Bernie
bglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

2008 wqas when Winnebago started putting flat panel TVs in there coaches. Winnebago would have to build you a cabinet and it would be EXPENSIVE! Try a good cabinet maker in your area and they should be able to do the job.
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

My '02 also had the rounded enclosure. I was able to get a 26" LCD inside the enclosure by cutting some of the metal just inside the opening. I really wanted to use a 32" but that would have required mounting it outside the opening or a major re-work of the cabinet, which I elected not to do. The 26" works fine for us.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We have an 04 Journey 39k and mounted a 32" LCD on the wall at the foot of our bed. The old TV cabinet is now storage.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Bernie, I got tired of splitting my head open with that overhead front TV, so we had a good cabinet-maker rework the front install a Sony flat screen TV and donated the old factory 78 pound TV to the Veteran's home...You'll be happy that you did....and the front won't rattle so much anymore
DocUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Great! However, my 36 Ft Journey has a sliding door panel that covers that wall!
bglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I mounted this TV and my brother-in-law a cabinet guy re-used the wood from the round cabinet to make this trim. All the edges seen are finished edges in the original cabinet. Take your time it will work...good luck

Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:44 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Gary, can you post any more details and/or photos of that installation process. That came out really nice, and I'm pretty sure that others, besides me, would like to see more. What brand/model# TV mounting bracket did you use? Did you add any additional bracing in the wall, before mounting the bracket? All info appreciated.

to you and your brother-in-law, for a job well done.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I installed a 20" Sony LCD in the bedroom. This particular TV fit perfectly in the existing opening. I mounted a piece of plywood in the opening, attached a simple tilting flat screen TV mounting bracket, then hung the TV. Works fine without disturbing the cabinet.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

That's a nice looking job on your 20" Sony, but I have already bought a 26" Toshiba LCD TV, with built-in DVD player, (on the left side of the TV). I'm also tired of bumping into the TV cabinet, as that's "my side". So we need to do a lower profile installation.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:56 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Rear BR TV upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Lewis View Post
I have a 2004 Winnebago Journey that currently has the original RCA TV and I want to upgrade to an HD LCD. The original cabinetry doesn't really work due to it being of the rounded front type to fit the old TV. I was wondering if anyone knew what year the Journey went to a flat screen HD TV. I can of course contact Winnebago, but thought someone might have already made the switch. I think the best option may be for me to swap put the factory cabinet with the newer style that wound accomodate a flat screen HD TV.

TIA,

Bernie
We changed out the old Cathode Ray to a flat screen in our 2004 Journey 32T. I cut about 4 inches off the left side of the cabinet, then repositioned the cabinet and refastened it to the RV structure. Used a stud finder to locate the wood structures behind the paneling. Did not need to attach the top front to the ceiling as the new TV is considerably lighter, plus there was no obvious structure in the roof to screw into. I reused the cut off piece to fill the opening above the new flat screen. Built a mounting panel from plywood and reused the mounting bolts from the strap holding the CR to attach the new flat screen panel mount. I can still access the TV controls on the left side of the cabinet. The mount is a cheap fixed mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Rear BR TV 6.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1211   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Rear BR TV 5.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	1212  

Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Rear BR TV 1.jpg