Here is a good article about a new prepaid option to get Verizon LTE on a smart phone with unlimited voice, data, and internet INCLUDING UNLIMITED HOTSPOT for $ 40 per month, using a new prepaid brand called Visible. Gismodo Article
The only major "con" for RVers not mentioned in the article is that Visible currently has no options for international, including Canada and Mexico, so you would have that to deal with if you travel there.
Here's my experience on Visible ...
I am using Visible with a iPhone 7 Plus.
I signed up for Visible, setting up autopay with a credit card. I initiated phone number transfer from Sprint to Visible as part of the signup process. Their process included giving Sprint the proper information (account #, identity verification, authorization) for them to honor the transfer process. This also caused Sprint to disconnect service to the iPhone 7 Plus and for Sprint to stop billing me for it. They gave me a $ 100 prepaid mastercard for switching after I paid 2 monthly bills.
They sent me a SIM card via FedEx Overnight Package the next day.
I removed the Sprint SIM and put in the Visible SIM and the phone reactivated on Visible and my Phone # was ported over. I have been on Visible for about two months.
As of yesterday:
- I am getting Visible LTE everywhere a Verizon device gets Verizon LTE.
- Visible is truly unlimited data, messages, and voice. I have used over 50 gigabytes of data in the past 4 weeks with no issues.
- My phone is using Verizon Voice over LTE (VoLTE) which means that LTE data still works even when on a voice call.
- Visible is runnning data at full speed on Verizon network so long as hotspot is off in phone settings.
- If you turn on hotspot, data speed is limited to 5 megabits per second.
- I am using to watch video on a Amazon Fire TV stick and the 5 megabits per second does not seem to be preventing anything and I am getting a good picture on my 46" HDTV.
- As promised I am being billed EXACTLY $ 40 per month, no junk fees or taxes tacked on above that.
- It appears to me that the limitation of video streams to 480P only applies to sites like youtube, I am not seeing any problem with Video quality when using my Amazon Fire TV stick.
For a limited time, Visible is offering a $ 200 prepaid mastercard if you switch and buy a smartphone, or a $ 100 prepaid mastercard if you switch and bring your own unlocked smartphone.
You can not put the Visible SIM in a unlocked Verizon compatible hotspot, you HAVE to put in a Smartphone that is on their list of allowed devices.
Follow this link that includes a referral code to get an extra $ 20 off Visible