Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2006, 06:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I'm wanting to get to the rear connections on my TV in the side slide out cabinet. I removed the tiedown and the metal strap but it still would not move. Am I missing something or is it just tight. Any help would be appreciated.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I'm wanting to get to the rear connections on my TV in the side slide out cabinet. I removed the tiedown and the metal strap but it still would not move. Am I missing something or is it just tight. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-05-2006, 08:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Underneath ours there are two mounting clips near the front that must be removed and a safety cable in the middle that also must be removed. The metal strap tiedown which has two bolts on each side near the front (underneath as well) only needs to be loosened. Finally there are two wood trim blocks on either side of the front TV "foot" that unfortunately must be pryed out.

Of course this assumes the 2004 and 2005 model year are the same.

Best bet: Yank the TV out and take it to Goodwill and buy an LCD panel. That's my intention for the future.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Lindsey;

I don't have a 40AD but a Suncruiser 38R. My TV is also down behind the passenger seat but it's not located in a slide.

I just accessed my rear TV S-video connection by removing an air vent grill located directly behind the passenger seat. I know you don't have this vent because your TV goes out with the slide but check on the RIGHT side of the TV cabinet inside the buffet cabinet by the table. There may be a vent located in that cabinet and removing it may let you access the rear of the TV. If there is no vent inside this cabinet you may be able to install one, thus giving you access to the rear TV connections. The vent gives some air circulation for the heat generated by the 27" Sony.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

John,
I like your solution but hate to have to spend the money just to continue watching TV even when it is a better picture.

The only wood trim I can see that may need to be removed is a piece accross the top of the TV. As best I can see there is no obstructions on the side or the bottom as far as the cabinet is concerned. I looked at the 2005 parts catalog and it seems to be the same as the 2004.
The trim is really two pieces and I don't know if they are both nailed or the main one is screwed and the top one nailed. I would hate to mark the woodwork getting it out. Actually I was hoping someone had had theirs out. Tried to reach the back connections from the wall light opening but my arm is too short.

Old 07-06-2006, 03:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Lindsay - there are several advantages in getting rid of the glass monster:

-less weight on the front axle. I am maxed out on front axle weight

-less power consumption for TV while boondocking

-you can create storage space (add a drawer below the new LCD)

-If you mount the LCD on a hinged panel, it can be adjusted for any viewing angle, i.e., while sitting at the table

-easy access to the back of the LCD (you did mount it on a hinged panel, didn't you?)

Good grief - I'm getting myself pumped up again to go forward. Helppppp

If you want, I can take some pictures and diagram how the TV comes out.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

G'day John,
I believe Best Buy is looking for salesmen to sell LCD's.....You'll make a fortune.

Actually I've solved my problem. I was able to get my arm up thru the hole for the tiedown wire. Dropped the new cables down and connected them by feel so now have satellite on video 3.

I didn't think of the advantage of being able to swing the TV for viewing but had thought of the weight saving and space gain.

One day we will get an LCD as my step son has a TV/Satellite store. We had a nice Hidef big screen at home till we sold the house and it won't fit thru the MH door!

Old 07-07-2006, 07:29 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by arkaussie:
--snip-- Dropped the new cables down and connected them by feel so now have satellite on video 3.--snip-- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's what I did - Video 1 is S-video from the sat tuner, video 3 is the VHS output and video 4 is the DVD output. Since the DVD output is component I bought component cables for max quality. Glad you didn't have to pull the TV - your access hole must be a lot larger than mine.

Cheers mate!

Old 07-07-2006, 10:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

arkaussie,

I recently had the TV out on my unit to add an s-video connection from my satelite receiver. The cabinet trim strip above the TV has to come out.

The 1/2 to 3/4 inch trim strip is held on by some kind of rubber adhesive. I was able to slip a putty knife under one end and gently pry the adhesive loose. This strip covers three or four screws that hold the main strip to the cabinet.

Once the big piece is off, and the hold down strap loosened and the clips underneath removed, the TV came right out. (My rear safety cable wasn't attached to the cabinet.) I was able to just rotate the TV to make the needed connections, much easier than trying to lift it out.

I reinstalled the glued strip with some double sided tape and it held up fine on a recent 1800 mile trip through the rockies.

I figure I can get a 37" HD LCD set into the cabinet and pull it up against the backside of the frame with little cabinet modification. Full 1080P 37" HD LCDs are starting to become available so by the end of the year this could be cost effective.

The satelite receiver is HD capable and has a digital tuner for off air reception. I installed a diplexer on the antenna cable with the powered side connected to the switch box for powering the roof antenna. Works great.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:27 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Last weekend I was installing a new sat receiver in the entertainment cabinet. I decided to route a S-video and l&r composite sound to the 27" Sony.

After routing the cables down to the TV and hooking everything up I decided that the picture was better but not a great improvement. I ended up pulling all my cables and connecting everything back to factory. When you route your sat receiver via a S-video cable and composite sound cables you lose the capability to send a sat signal to the outside entertainment center and the bedroom TV.

I ended up just going over to my buddies Allegro Bus with 32" LCD HDTV and watching TV there.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:31 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Terryr,
That is the info I was interested in but was able to do it thru the 6" square hole underneath by laying in the cabinet and reaching up behind the TV.

Yes I would like an LCD but have trouble justifying the cost just to watch the gems on TV these days.

Old 07-07-2006, 06:36 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Tom,
When you add a video connection between the sat reciever and the TV using S-video or the RCA you can still leave your screw on cable connections in place. It will not affect anything, I have installed hundreds of setups that way so you have Sat on channel 3 or 4 and a video input as well.

That is what I have now.

Old 07-07-2006, 06:55 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Oh, you're correct. I remember switching between the inputs with the remote to check for any change in the quality of picture.

My RCA cable were too short anyway. I may just rerun the wires now that I know how to route the wiring from the top entertainment center to the TV.

Thanks