Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

tv removal

I have a 2005 adventurer 38R can anyone tell me how the tv comes out of the console ? (the console on the living room floor) thanks.
litch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a Vectra 40FD with the TV in the Cabinet. Open the cabinet under the TV, Look up you should see some bolts that hold down the strap over the TV. Once you remove these bolts the TV should come out. You may have to carefully remove some molding, Good Luck PS: I did this when I changed out the old Sony and put in a New HD Flat screen.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

tv removal

thanks for the response.I tried that but there must be more to it on mine because i cant move it
litch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by litch1
thanks for the response.I tried that but there must be more to it on mine because i cant move it
Mine was sitting on a thick black foam pad and was stuck. I had to pull pretty hard until it came loose.
n9iui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by n9iui View Post
Mine was sitting on a thick black foam pad and was stuck. I had to pull pretty hard until it came loose.
What Model is yours...I have an 06 38J and looking to do the same as the OP.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

You guts really need to look at this thread, lot's of ideas and pictures on how to upgrade your TV's. Survey of CRT TV to LCD replacements
Old 04-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Somewhere I saw a TV upgrade into a cabinet like ours, where he made a drawer that he attached the Lcd to. He had a place to store cd's dvd's or what ever. I am interested in your project, been thinking about upgrading for some time. Please keep posting with pics if possible. My tv appears to be held buy the bolts under it. If it's held like the rear tv you also will find some more screws under the trim on top of the tv. I replaced the bedroom tv last summer so can't remember exactly, but Winnebago intended for it not to move!! (Thats an understatement)

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn View Post
Somewhere I saw a TV upgrade into a cabinet like ours, where he made a drawer that he attached the Lcd to. He had a place to store cd's dvd's or what ever. I am interested in your project, been thinking about upgrading for some time. Please keep posting with pics if possible. My tv appears to be held buy the bolts under it. If it's held like the rear tv you also will find some more screws under the trim on top of the tv. I replaced the bedroom tv last summer so can't remember exactly, but Winnebago intended for it not to move!! (Thats an understatement)
You and I probably have all the same TV set ups. We are interested in doing the front TV first. When you took out the back CRT, did you find any kind of adhesive holding it in place or was it held in place by hardware only? I hope to get to the front soon and will keep you posted on what I find. I hope it doesn't have some kind of adhesive pad. LOL
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I don't remember adhesive but remember the top molding needed to come off to access more screws holding the tv. When all said and done their was a metal bracket holding it. Wish I could remember exact, but been a year ago. That being said the electronics that are above the set are held with velcro, so that may be a posibility?
The molding came of fairly easy. I was able to replace finding the same nail holes and a very small dab of wood glue.

Equinox Toad
Old 04-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Well I just replaced my CRT TV in a corner cabinet with a fireplace under it. Removed (temporally) the fireplace. Wiggled in the back corner and there are bolts on the back AND front of the TV that had to be removed. Then to reach one of the bolts I had to also undo a swing out table to reach one of the TV bolts. Then there was a 1 1/2 inch steel strap stuck on to the front of the TV with really strong tape. Once all the bolts and strap was off the TV slid out of the cabinet. Then I held the TV as I had the DW remove all the rear plugs and wires so I could set the TV on the floor.

If your TV is not moving you do not have all the bolts out or there is some tape still sticking on the TV. Check again.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

What is the size of LCD and brand your replacing the original Sony with?

Equinox Toad
Old 04-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn View Post
What is the size of LCD and brand your replacing the original Sony with?
I chose to get a Samsung 32". This is not the SmartTV model, just a regular 720i, no fancy stuff. I know there are several ideas on "how" to do this install. I chose to build a sliding shelf with cubby holders in the back, for DVD's and stuff. An I can also close the cabinet side "sliding" doors to hide\cover the TV. Had to trim a tiny 1/8" area of plastic trim off the TV corners to get the doors to close (because of the hinges), but really have to "look" closely to see this trim cut an the TV is in no way effected by the plastic trim cut. Here is 2 pictures of my finished install:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New TV for MH  (1) (Copy).JPG
Views:	279
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	20537   Click image for larger version

Name:	New TV for MH  (2) (Copy).JPG
Views:	288
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	20538  

Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

My front CRT TV used a bolt operated winch, the bolt was behind a cover on top of the side cabinet. Removed the padded panel under the TV and cranked the bolt, lowering the TV.
ScoobyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Nice job! I like the storage behind the tv. Nice neat and out of the way.

Equinox Toad
Old 04-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Great Job Stevedg007, I did mine last summer a little different.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00040 (640x480).jpg
Views:	285
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	20567   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00045 (640x480).jpg
Views:	290
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	20568  

Old 05-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Installed a 32" Vizio. Correction, I hired it out. Credit where credit is due. These are a few pix of the install:Rmvd old RCA (inop). Original frame is visible.

Frame is cut along bottom of cavity.

TV installed on frame made by RV Tech. TV attached with 4 bolts into VESA receivers.

A black plexiglass is installed by snaps to cover the bottom of cavity. About a six inch swath (laterally) permits air circulation (between back of TV and edge of plexiglass. Air circulation is enhanced by opening at top of TV.

Finished installation. Two glitches: Surround Sound is inop in TV and AV (DVD) modes. Note absence of center (5th) speaker in final foto. It was too hard to do, so we just gave up. Surround Sound works OK in FM/AM/SAT Radio modes. I don't miss the stereo. At my age I'm happy to hear ANYTHING. Second glitch is the TV seems to be stuck on Fox News Channel. Not a bad thing......looking at Kimberly.

Old GE 19" TV in bedroom is still there and working well......so far. Another project for later.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegd007 View Post
I chose to get a Samsung 32". This is not the SmartTV model, just a regular 720i, no fancy stuff. I know there are several ideas on "how" to do this install. I chose to build a sliding shelf with cubby holders in the back, for DVD's and stuff. An I can also close the cabinet side "sliding" doors to hide\cover the TV. Had to trim a tiny 1/8" area of plastic trim off the TV corners to get the doors to close (because of the hinges), but really have to "look" closely to see this trim cut an the TV is in no way effected by the plastic trim cut. Here is 2 pictures of my finished install:
I really like the drawer set up. I have replaced my RCA with a 37" flat screen, but don't really like the install where did you get and what type of drawer hard where did you use.
sherf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Hi. Glad to help. I purchased all my "stuff" from Home Depot. Plywood, trim piece, screws, liquid nails, stain, spray on finish shine and the draw glides. The glides are the flat type you see on some drawers, like 1 1/2 inch wide an 1/2 inch or so thick, trick is not to get one too short or to long. Made a template of the back of the new TV. Transferred to a piece of plywood and started cutting and drilling holes. Made a basic 'L' shape drawer, front an bottom then added little chubby "boxes" in the back for storage and support for the front peice of plywood. Finally added a front trim piece and then the stain and finish.

Here is another picture, kinda dark, but if you look to the back (or the top area) you can see the drawer glides that I installed. The very bottom of the picture is a black area & this is the very top of my new TV set. It is bolted to the plywood with bolts I also purchased from Home Depot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New MH TV  (3) (Copy).JPG
Views:	283
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	20867  
Old 05-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

One more question please. Did you have to make any changes to keep the surround sound?? I also noticed the originator of this post hasn't responded.

Equinox Toad