Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

TV modification

I have a 94 Itasca 34RA. It has i'm sure an analog TV?? It is an Adiovox and it works fine with the dvd and if I can find a local channel that broadcast in analog signal. That is slim and none. Last weed we were in So TX an the only channel that we could pick up was in spanish. No savvvvy.
1. Any suggestions on how to remove the current TV? I think it is the original.
2. If so, what kind should I replace?
3. Any suggestions on using my Direct TV reciever from my house with a portable dish?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
James
94bago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

In order to pick up the new digital channels you need a converter box for your tv. As far as Direct tv you can go many directions.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Converter is the answer on older tvs...Wallys RV Resort...We stopped road side South Texas, on I-10 and the exit to Fredricksburg last month and couldn't even get Dish....very poor area for tv entertainment, only 2 Digital stations.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I just ordered a new Sharp 32", direct from Dell. 10 min ago.
I have been using my Direct TV reciever (small one-Only one Lead) I have a Roof top dish and a stand alone on a tripod, I use the roof top for the front and the tripod for the bedroom, the small rec. will not allow me to use the same for two sets.
I have tried analog but the wingman will not show any thing but snow.
I will have the new set 3/16-then the fun, trying to figure out how to mount it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	34N MIDDLE.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	8748  
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

TV Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry & Rita View Post
I just ordered a new Sharp 32", direct from Dell. 10 min ago.
I have been using my Direct TV reciever (small one-Only one Lead) I have a Roof top dish and a stand alone on a tripod, I use the roof top for the front and the tripod for the bedroom, the small rec. will not allow me to use the same for two sets.
I have tried analog but the wingman will not show any thing but snow.
I will have the new set 3/16-then the fun, trying to figure out how to mount it.
Larry and Rita,
Thanks for your info. The tripod sounds good to me at this time. Where could I get one and what should I expect to pay? Will I need a converter box to use the Direct TV receiver and dish?
Pls keep me posted on your progress of your new modification.
Thanks,
James
Old 03-10-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Rather than remove the existing, WORKING Television, how about an ATSC converter, Radio Shack still sells one and it has analog pass through.

If you can access the back of the TV you simply remove the ANT lead (Coax) from the TV and hook it to the converter, there is a cable in the box with the converter that hooks it to the TV..

Or, if you can access the OTHER END of the TV's coax cable (This may be easier) you hook that end to the Converter's TV port, and use the included jumper on the ANT side

So now you have

Stuff=========TV
(Note ===== is coax cable)

You will have

Stuff====covnerter====TV

Now you can get digital TV, no other changes needed.

As for the Sat receiver

Same procedure exactly with the (the connections used are the OTA ANTENNA In and TV out)

Run brand new length of RG-6 type coax from the LNB jack on the receiver to either a basement area ore a bulkhead connector (Through wall) and hook the ground mount up there

Dozens of threads on how to set up the sat antenna

Also dozens of discussions explaining why you won't get your local channels more than so many miles from home (Anywyere from a few to a few hundred)
Old 03-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

The better converter boxes-such as Weingard-have the signal strength feature built in. It's handy for when your turning the crank-up antenna-just turn for the best signal strength. The newer flat screen TV's have the over the air tuners built in (for the most part). Gary
Sightseer 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

TV modification

Thanks much. I think I will give this a shot since existing tv is working fine. I will see how the convert box works. It is difficult to get to the back of the TV. I will do some snooping around to try to find a connection for the coax.
Thanks again,
James
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Rather than remove the existing, WORKING Television, how about an ATSC converter, Radio Shack still sells one and it has analog pass through.

If you can access the back of the TV you simply remove the ANT lead (Coax) from the TV and hook it to the converter, there is a cable in the box with the converter that hooks it to the TV..

Or, if you can access the OTHER END of the TV's coax cable (This may be easier) you hook that end to the Converter's TV port, and use the included jumper on the ANT side

So now you have

Stuff=========TV
(Note ===== is coax cable)

You will have

Stuff====covnerter====TV

Now you can get digital TV, no other changes needed.

As for the Sat receiver

Same procedure exactly with the (the connections used are the OTA ANTENNA In and TV out)

Run brand new length of RG-6 type coax from the LNB jack on the receiver to either a basement area ore a bulkhead connector (Through wall) and hook the ground mount up there

Dozens of threads on how to set up the sat antenna

Also dozens of discussions explaining why you won't get your local channels more than so many miles from home (Anywyere from a few to a few hundred)