Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

TV, Cell, Internet Questions -

Hi everyone-

We recently purchased a 2005 Suncruiser 37B and love it. (However, I am still trying to figure out the original entertainment systems.) What I would like to do is connect it to a satellite TV system and internet connection. I think there was originally a dish antenna on the roof, but it isn't there now. The CRT TVs are connected by coaxial cable, and the rear one gets very poor reception.

I am not looking for complicated technical instructions (because I wouldn't understand them), but general advice on what we should do and/or where we should take it would be very much appreciated. We live near Sacramento, CA.

Thanks,

John & Linda
jwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

jwoodie, The first place I would start is replacing the analog TV's. I was looking at the TV/DVD drawings and looks like there were a lot of different options.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hi, We recently bought a 2002 Adventurer that has the old TV in the front and back, also has the sat.dish but still haven't pulled in the signal on it. (manual setup). Do you have the convert box for the old style TV? We pull in a lot of over the air local station
with it. Also have to change the zip code and rescan for channels. Don't know if this will help, but if you have more questions I will try to help.
P.S. I also have all the manuals.
Marguerite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I agree if the TV"s are older NTSC analog sets get new wide screen ATSC digitals. This is Step #1

On the rear TV you may wish to run new coax,, RG-6 please (The lowest bidder RG-59 the factory used is not a great product)

Also run a HDMI cable along the same path while you are at it, EVEN if you do not use it now, RUN it.

Front electronics bay.. IF you plan on using a single SAT receiver.. Verify the original park-cable wiring is still intact.. It may have been re-done.

Your rig has either a wall plate with a switch, light, 12 volt acc outlet and antenna connection or a box of many buttons.

If you have the wall plate, on the back should be 3 cables they are, as follows. Holding plate with 12 volt outlet at top, looking at back

Antenna Cable TV-2 (Rear TV)

On this switch plate the switch ON selects rooftop Over the air antenna
Switch off selects cable

Consider upgrading this plate to a SENSAR PRO (roughly 100 bucks) you loose the 12 volt outlet but gain so much, and that 12 olt outlet not much good anyway less you need to plug in a Map Light to see the plate.

IF YOU HAVE THE Box Of Many Buttons (BOMB)

Great. Let's move on

Run a new RG-6 (Again with the RG-6, and quality too) cable from the electronics bay to a handy spot outside, either in the Basement or in a side wall (Bulkhead) This is for hooking up a ground antenna.

Find the cable to the rooftop and hook it to the "A" (As in ABOVE) terminal of a simple A/B switch, if you pay more than 9.99 for the switch it's too expensive.

Hook this new cable to the "B" (Basement, Bulkhead, Below) terminal of same switch.. This is for the sat receiver you do not yet have should you decide to pay for TV.

If the rooftop antenna is a winegard "Batwing" Add the wingman. (About 30 bucks)

Inspect all cables EPICALLY the ones exposed to sun and wind, check the ends. (Crimp on connectors often fail) replace what needs it. ENjoy.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

wa8yxm, well said.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info!
jwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

None of you pointed out that current TV requires a converter for the old CRT TVs! If a Satelitte system is used, no converter is required. If there was a rood top antenna on the unit previously there would be holes in the roof. The back TV may only require the setting it up per the menu to improve the picture. He should have the switch box as it was standard on his unit. There should be a power switch for his standard "bat wing" to turn on the amplifier.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:08 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Running new coax can be very difficult and or expensive. For what it was intended, the RG59 cable is fine. The problems are probably in the F connectors. Replace all the F connectors with compression connectors. Make sure all connections are tight. RG59 Compression F Connector at Home Depot. The tool and connectors can be bought at any home improvement store or Harbor Freight.

As mentioned, get a digital converter for off the air TV. Digital to Analog Converter at Walmart.

WIT Tips Digital TV Part 1

WIT Tips Digital TV Part 2

1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote