Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-14-2021, 10:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

TV antenna

Hello again. Camped a couple of times now in our rig. Have the standard Amplified digital TV antenna system (king). Read the owners manual and have been able to get 3 blue lights on both trips out. Used the small gain knob as described in the manual to try and fine tune as well. Did the auto channel scan and have never been able to pick up any channels that do not pixelate. Granted both locations were fairly remote state park locations, this may be normal. But were able to grab channels, just trying to ensure I am not missing something else (which is quite possible).

At home I have tuned in and can pick up a couple of channels and the first state park location was only about 10 miles from my house, which was what was surprising. Thanks in advance.

Regards
Old 06-14-2021, 10:44 AM   #2
Site Team

Our King Jack antenna has something like 6 "blue lights" and I keep the gain knob on FULL all the time. Then I rotate the antenna knob pointing to the nearest town and pick up a lot of stations most of them not anything I wish to watch. I think the gain knob is needed in crowded TV markets to reduce the number of far stations.

Mind you, we use the antenna less than 1% of the time we are camping so I am probably not the idea person to give advice on the King Jack's usage.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:47 AM   #3
Site Team

There are some apps out there that will help with the direction and distance to some OTA signals. (I have use TV Signal Finder from Winegard)
I'd say that if you are able to get a good signal at home but not at the camp there may not be anything you can do to get a better signal with your current equipment. I think the King sits a bit lower than the crank-up antennas so what's between you and them matters.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Should have clarified I was able to get 3 of 4 lights on the model I have. It is not a huge deal for us as we really don't watch much TV, just was curious if there was something we were missing given the control panel. Seems like quite the contraption with the push buttons,
Old 06-14-2021, 10:59 AM   #5
Site Team

I'm going to add to this only because we've been using it for about a year now. IF you have the ability to stream tv to your camper and are in one of the service locations you could use Locast. It's a .org non-profit. They pick up the local OTA signals for a given service area then retransmit that to their app (We use a firestick and it's one of the apps that you can get from Amazon). You get the benefit of all the local stations without the hassle of moving your antenna to get them since they may not all be in the same direction.

Again, this is really only really an option if you have an internet connection to stream data AND you are in a service area (or use a VPN service to spoof you to that service area) AND you want to watch the local OTA tv stations.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

An app to tell you which direction to point the antenna is one of the bigger helps I find for locating the towers in places I'm not sure about.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, had not even heard of them
Old 06-27-2021, 07:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I use this website to find where the TV antennas are located at.

https://www.antennaweb.org/
Just put in the zip code of the campground. It will show you not only how many stations you may get, what direction the antennas are located and how far. I find 30 to 40 miles is about the max.
Then I have a compass app I use to point the antenna in the proper direction.
Once connected, I use this website to see the TV guide for the local zip code.
https://www.tvtv.us/

Tags
antenna