Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2018, 03:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

T'ravler Installed Question

When i got my RV I had LaMesa install the T'ravler on the roof beforeI even took possesion. Since I've had the RV I've only use one Dish VIP 211z, but now I have 2, so went to hook up one for rear TV one and it doesn't seem to get a signal from dish antenna when hooked to rear input.

Is there somewhere I can look to see if they installed it right? It is supposed to be prewired for this so I assume it's just a simple connection somewhere in front where the cable comes in from the roof?

2016 Sunova 33c
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:42 AM   #2
Site Team

Do you have the 4x4 HDMI switch in the upper cabinet over the passenger seat?

On another topic... we used the Dish VIP 211 for a few years and the replaced it with the Dish Hopper. It worked much better than the VIP 211. And the remote doesn’t require line of site access either. It’s RH not IR.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks

I do not have the HDMI switch box but i do have one, that I don't think is the issue. I think there is a cable connection missed, I get no signal from the roof to the rear as far as I can tell. The 211 is small enough to fit in the cabinet, is the hopper small too?
Old 01-03-2018, 06:49 AM   #4
Site Team

The Hopper is smaller than the 211 by about 40%. However the menu is different on the Hopper. It works the same but is the Wally-style menu. We didn’t have the Wally at home so the new menu threw us at first. The best advantage was the RF remote and smaller size.

I asked about the hdmi switch because on my coach that is how sat is sent to TVs and I didn’t know if yours was the same. On my coach you can have 2 sat receivers in the front cabinet and send the signal from each to each TV via the switch.

Sounds like yours is different than that.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:32 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The HDMI switch is not needed or used for want you want to do. Your rear TV has to be hooked to the second sat receiver to operate independently. The normal routing is antenna to receiver (via coax) and receiver to TV via HDMI.

Your Trav'ler can support up to 4 different receivers, however, you have to have a coax from the antenna to each receiver. You have one that is working and the second one is not (or it is not even part of the satellite system but the TV/Cable system). So some questions:

- are there two coax cables from the antenna into the RV?

- can you track those cables through the RV?

- are both receivers connected to a separate coax that is connected to the antenna?

- how is your second TV connected to the receiver?
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
The HDMI switch is not needed or used for want you want to do. Your rear TV has to be hooked to the second sat receiver to operate independently. The normal routing is antenna to receiver (via coax) and receiver to TV via HDMI.

Your Trav'ler can support up to 4 different receivers, however, you have to have a coax from the antenna to each receiver. You have one that is working and the second one is not (or it is not even part of the satellite system but the TV/Cable system). So some questions:

- are there two coax cables from the antenna into the RV?

- can you track those cables through the RV?

- are both receivers connected to a separate coax that is connected to the antenna?

- how is your second TV connected to the receiver?
This is what I am trying to find out so if there is only 1 coax cable off the roof antenna through the roof then I can only use one box i guess. i was hoping to find a location where the second pigtail cable was located.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:32 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I had the Traveler installed in 2012. I replaced my two receivers in 2013 with a hopper.
The hopper required two coax cables to the dish for power and signal strength which used up the one that went to the bedroom. Orginally we did use the bedroom TV with a separate receiver, but not after the Traveler was installed. The hopper can have a separate receiver unit (called a Joey) that could run the Bedroom TV for you.
For your info, we have travelled to every corner of the country, from Maine to San Diego, from Seattle to the Florida keys. The traveler with the hopper has always worked well for us. A great system.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:51 AM   #8
Happy Camper

I have a 2015 Sunova 35G and have found that the cables going to the front TV have a HDMI to Cat 5 or 6 cable adapters. Since they didn't make HDMI cables at the length that was needed when my couch was built they used a HDMI to Cat 5 converter in the front of the couch and a Cat 5 cable to HDMI cable adapter in the front behind the fire place for the front TV. When I purchased the couch it was used and the converters has burnt up in the front over the driver seat and behind the fire place. I found the excessive heat in the front control area destroyed the converters. I now leave the converters unplugged when not in use by installing a 110 volt switch between the main power converter and the power lines to all the TV's and electronic equipment in the front and rear of the couch for ease of unconnected and reconnecting when in use. I also have a electronic coaxial cable splitter in the front overhead panel that controls the distribution of what controls what, using the coaxial cables. Email me if I can help any further.
fkempf216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I believe the Trav'ler coax cable from the roof only goes to where the receiver is installed. The coax cable to the rear TV would come from the TV switch box, not the satellite. If you use your OTA (over the air) antenna and switch the OTA antenna to TV #2 or rear TV you should see the OTA channels. I don't know if you used a splitter on the coax coming from the Trav'ler and connected the coax for the rear TV to the splitter if a 2nd receiver would work. The splitter may cause neither receiver to work.

One other thing to consider. The coax from the Trav'ler needs to be 3 GHz (3000 MHz) cable. The coax to the rear TV is probably lower bandwidth designed for OTA signal and therefor not 3GHz cable.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:35 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

In our Journey we have a 211z receiver in the bedroom with a direct feed from the satellite. Works just fine.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:02 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
In our Journey we have a 211z receiver in the bedroom with a direct feed from the satellite. Works just fine.
It would be helpful if you provided a few details about your setup.

Such as:
-- I would assume that a 2002 RV did not come wired from the factory for satellite tV. As If I am not mistaken satellite TV was not wide spread in 2002 so the mfg would not put a high priority on installing sat TV wiring.
-- What coax cable connections were needed to route the Satellite Dish to the rear receiver?
-- Does the front receiver and the rear receiver work off of one coax coming from the dish with a spitter to route the signal to each receiver?

I'm sure any additional details you may have would be helpful to the OP in diagnosing the problem.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:44 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
It would be helpful if you provided a few details about your setup.

Such as:
-- I would assume that a 2002 RV did not come wired from the factory for satellite tV. As If I am not mistaken satellite TV was not wide spread in 2002 so the mfg would not put a high priority on installing sat TV wiring.
-- What coax cable connections were needed to route the Satellite Dish to the rear receiver?
-- Does the front receiver and the rear receiver work off of one coax coming from the dish with a spitter to route the signal to each receiver?

I'm sure any additional details you may have would be helpful to the OP in diagnosing the problem.
Well, you assume wrong! It came with a manual dish installed on the roof and fully wired. When we updated to the Traveler we had to run one more cable from the roof mount to the splitter. Then there was a cable already installed to the rear and we simply spliced it to the new cable. The only new wire we had to run was from the dish to the splitter and we simply followed the two other cables with one more. We have HD front and back.

Can't tell you much more. Maybe if the coach wasn't ordered with a satellite dish the wiring was not installed.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:39 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Well, you assume wrong! It came with a manual dish installed on the roof and fully wired. When we updated to the Traveler we had to run one more cable from the roof mount to the splitter. Then there was a cable already installed to the rear and we simply spliced it to the new cable. The only new wire we had to run was from the dish to the splitter and we simply followed the two other cables with one more. We have HD front and back.

Can't tell you much more. Maybe if the coach wasn't ordered with a satellite dish the wiring was not installed.
Good info. Maybe that will help the OP.

Tags
install, led