Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-30-2020, 11:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Tire Pressure Monitoring System: Limit Settings?

We just got the Tymate Tire Pressure Monitoring System for our 2018 2106FBS.

If the desired "cold" pressure is 50 psi, where should we set the upper and lower monitoring limits in order to compensate for increased pressure as the temperature in the tire rises from driving?

Or does the temperature sensor in this unit compensate for this somehow?

Thanks in advance for your help!
qualtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

In living with our system for a while I think it is a matter of personal choice involving your tolerance for alarms to be reset and how and where you drive. My system is fully able to reset the values and that left me to decide how and when the alarm is wanted but as we got into using it more, my decisions were up for debate.
Where you drive and when is one factor to consider because if you start in the far North on a day when the temp may be under 40 degrees and set the cold tire pressure for 75PSI with an alarm at 90 PSI, you probably will not get halfway through a trip to South Texas without an alarm for high pressure! If you do the reverse and start with with tires at cold 75PSI on a 90 degree day in South Texas, you may park in Kansas and find a low pressure alarm coming on when the outside temp goes to 40!
We had the tires set for 75 PSI normal with a low pressure alarm set for 60PSI if we had a slow leak but in running through Tenn. we woke up to low pressure alarms during the night!
So we learned to treat it this way. We run tires at 75 PSI and expect them to easily go past 90 as we drive, but set the low alarm at 60 PSI, turn the system off at night to avoid it waking us and then when I fire it up getting ready to travel, I hit a button to cancel the alarm until we start driving and the tire pressure goes back up over the alarm level within a few miles of starting to drive.
Thinking of how car tires ride like they are square when first starting on really cold mornings, I know there is no practical way to keep tires at the "correct" pressure under all situations, so I no longer worry the issue as much when I have a monitor to show me how far off the pressure is and how often small things change it!
Basically set things to tell me the pressure if I look and alarm if it is not what level I set but then cancel the alarms when I know why I'm getting that temp or pressure alarm. On my system canceling alarms is a matter of hitting one of the buttons to silence but it leaves a red LED to show me there is still an "alarm" condition.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure