Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2006, 04:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I have never used this before. How do I get to a diagram showing the TV cable and satellite cable routing. I'm told I need to find out if there is a splitter anywhere on the tv cable to determine if a satellite dish can be hooked up at the rear compartment instead of cable tv.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 04:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have never used this before. How do I get to a diagram showing the TV cable and satellite cable routing. I'm told I need to find out if there is a splitter anywhere on the tv cable to determine if a satellite dish can be hooked up at the rear compartment instead of cable tv.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
Old 05-08-2006, 04:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Your coax wiring diagram is on Winnebago's website.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_110138.pdf

If you're speaking of a splitter in the coax coming from the utility compartment to the coax switch box there is none.

If you're speaking of a splitter in the coax going from the TV switch box to the bedroom TV there is a splitter in that line because that line also feeds the outside entertainment area.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 04:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Thanks Tom N - That was a quick response, and you answered both my questions.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I don't know what you have in mind but there are other ways to maybe get what you want. You could set the sat box up at the front and feed the signal thru the Aux input on the video selector and use RF to change channels from the bedroom. We have a dual tuner DVR and I have mine set up so I can watch different channels front and back if I wish but more often just use it to record a different channel when there is two things on we want to see.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Tom N - I got to the right place by clicking on the websit in your post, and since I'm still learning how to get around in all these forums I tried to get to the diagram all by myself. All I could do was get to Winnebago's RV ads. How do I get there? I looked for a diagram link or anything that looked like where I wanted to be but got nowhere. I know this is not a computer learning forum but I try to pick up a little bit of information about computers anytime I can. Thanks for all your help.
Wagonmaster2
Old 05-08-2006, 05:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Arkaussie - First let me say how we look forward to eating at Capt D's in Mountain Home when we are camping at Bull Shoals State Park. I currently have the factory installed satellite dish (manual crank up style) and am considering getting either Direct or Dish service. When I questioned being able to use a tri-pod mounted dish and hooking to the back compartment cable connection if under trees and they always ask if there is a splitter in the coax from the back to the front selector. I don't know if this is even possible since the selector switch is on the right side of the TV and all the satellite connectors are on the left side of the TV. I can't see anyway to get another coax behind the TV to hook up an A-B switch to switch back and forth from roof dish to tri-pod mounted dish. I'm sure my explanation is clear as mud.
Wagonmaster2
Old 05-08-2006, 05:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

http://www.winnebagoind.com/

http://www.winnebagoind.com/html/res...erLocator.html

http://www.winnebagoind.com/html/resources/manuals.html

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/Wiring.htm
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Wagonmaster, My wife was born and bread in Mtn Home and I did have 14 years there till we went full time. As you may have figured from my Sig. I'm not a Mtn Home native.

Your explanation wasn't real clear but if you could give me more info on what you would like to finish up with I may be able to help you.

We cannot use our roof dish but the tripod gives us 2 different channels with one input cable thru the "cable in" line.

I guess you want to be able to watch 2 different channels at the same time. What about DVR would that be on your wish list? What choices do you have on you video selector box and do you have a "Sat in" seperate to cable in on the outside.

To install a sat box by your rear TV you would have to be able to run a new line from the reciever out ot the dish otherwise if you could find the splitter and did some rewiring you could use that line but it would restrict your system from what it had been designed to do.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Wagonmaster

It really isn't all that complicated. You don't mention which sat provider you are using, but we have used a dual LNB Dish network antenna through our cable input for the past year. The LNB has a DISH Plus Separator built in to put both signals into one cable, behind the switch box is a "power pass one side" splitter to separate CATV and satellite (so we can still attach CATV and use the switch box to watch it if desired) ..CATV goes into the switch box and the sat cable goes to the sat box. Then we have another DISH Plus Separator behind the sat box to separate the signals into the two in ports on our DISH 322 receiver. The cable out of the sat box goes to the wall plug that goes over to the switch box. We can watch whatever we want on either the front or rear TV as the same time ...and the outside TV does whatever the rear TV does.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:17 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Haven't decided on a server yet, just trying to sort out as many problems as possible ahead of time. I plan on using my roof mounted crank-up dish where possible (no trees or obstructions) and a tri-pod mounted dish hooked up at the rear compartment cable connection when parked under trees. I had been told I couldn't do this if there was a splitter between the rear compartment cable connection and the front of the coach, but that has been answered. One poster said you need a diplexer and an A-B switch but I'm not understanding that hook-up. Maybe once I get a receiver and start playing with it I'll understand how all this works. Thanks for the help.
Wagonmaster2
Old 05-09-2006, 02:58 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Location: Fulltiming. Living wherever the jacks hit the ground.
Wagonmaster, maybe this will help.

http://www.bobhatch.com/satStuff/index.htm

The purpose of the A/B switch is to allow one cable to do 2 things, selectively. On this link I also show what I did with the remote dish to make it easier to store.

I've recently added a second A/B switch between the rooftop crank up dish, the cable from A/B switch, and input one on the receiver.

Since I put in the first A/B switch I've changed to DTV/TIVO, with a dual LNB on the roof. When I have to use the remote dish, which is not often, I only have one LNB feed available, which means I can't watch a program at the same time I record another. No big deal.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:56 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One poster said you need a diplexer and an A-B switch </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wagonmaster

My DISH installer was a young guy ...really sharp, and found he knew the DISH equipment and capabilities better than their tech support folks!!

A diplexer is a "fancy" splitter ...you need a "power-pass" diplexer for satellite. They come in models that pass power on only one side, and models that pass power on both sides. I use both in my setup ...single at the catv input port outside with catv on the non-power side, and another single inside where I separate the sat signal from the catv signal. I haven't got around to the a-b switch yet ...rarely would use it, but would be really handy when we needed it!!!
Old 05-09-2006, 07:56 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Thanks for all the help, but it sure is getting confusing. At my house, on cable, I was able to use a splitter and an A-B switch to hook into my TV, VCR, and DVD so that when I'm playing a tape or CD it will go back into the house cable and be able to see it on any of the 3 TVs in the house rather than just the TV they are hooked to. But I'm not sure I'm comprehending all this satellite technology. Maybe once I get a receiver in the coach things will start to clear up. Thanks again, and for all the pictures.
Wagonmaster2
Old 05-10-2006, 06:28 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Our setup is like the previous post from "Aukaussie".
We have 2 cables that feed down from out satellite dome a KVH L2 in-motion. They go into a cabinet where we have 2 satellite receivers stacked on top of our surround sound rec. and DVD player. One rec. is setup under sat. and the other under aux. at the control box. We than use an RF system we bought from radio Shack for about $40. to change the channels on the aux. feed from the bedroom.

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:33 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Wagonmaster

Just remember that satellite requires current to be passed between the receiver and the LNB on the dish antenna, and cable does not. That's why you need the power passing diplexer for satellite coax rather than a simple cable splitter, and that's why older style coax may give you a poorer signal (if it works at all) on satellite.