Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Switching front TV

OK I removed the OLD TV and fashioned a mounting for my Vizio 32" TV.
Removed the OLD VHS player. Plugged in all connections except the VHS connections. The bedroom TV works, But guess what the front TV states NO Signial.

Stumped! Help

Also have been running the Generator for 8 HOURS on my 50AMP outlet but seems it is not charging the house batteries. after shutting the gen set off, and reading battery voltage, the panel only reading about 6 Volts on house batteries, engine battery reads 12.6 volts.

2004 traveler 35U

Thanks
BobM
[email protected]
Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:00 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Modern LCD TVs require you to do a 'channel scan' in their setup menus to find the off-the-air signals for your area. We have to do it each time we go to a new campground. Have you tried that yet, assuming your "no signal" is on antenna. And of course do whatever you need to do in the way of an antenna boost switch/power.

Not sure what to suggest on your gen/battery issue...
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Yeah, me too. Mine has a box to choose antenna (ant), VCR or auxiliary (aux). Make sure you have the proper button pressed in. Of course for cable you would choose aux.
Check your booster switch between the tv and the windshield.
My problem was after eliminating some boxes like vcr, I got the cables hooked up wrong. I finally straightened it out and enjoy front and master bedroom tvs.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the reply. I checked all the same things. Do your remember which cables you got mix up so I can check them? also did you find that you had to keep the VHS player in the system, Because I took mine out completely.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Greeneyes, the link below in for your TV/VCR, Front Wiring Installation drawing look at sheet 8 page 9.
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_144832.pdf
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
Greeneyes, the link below in for your TV/VCR, Front Wiring Installation drawing look at sheet 8 page 9.
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_144832.pdf
GREAT INFO Thanks
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:40 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

OK thanks, do you know if the VHS has to be in circuit?
Also re the house batteries I think someone did not reinstall the cables correctly, I found a diagram for the correct connections which doubles the amp and the voltage to 12 volts not 6 volts. I will be changing the connections and hope the batteries are still good.

I just bought this coach and have not even been on the road yet and will not until the middle of November.

by the way can anyone tell me what the insurance costs jump if I go full time.
Thanks Again to all. I will keep you posted.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Removing the VHS should have no affect if it is wired a per the drawing.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Batteries

Well the batteries were over charged and bone dry. I did find a inverter in a cabinet but not sure if was the one that might have been replaced or if it needs to be installed. Also I have been starting the generator while plugged in to 50 amp, so I wonder if the transfer switch in not working, causing the batteries being over charged and boiling all the water away.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Which voltage of house batteries do you have? 6V (wired in series) or 12V (wired in parallel)? That would explain your 6V reading.

Are you getting the 6V reading by measuring across a single battery? Are we talking about two house batteries as opposed to four?

Watch out. The previous owner could have switched from 12V to 6V batteries which may not agree with that wiring diagram you found.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneyes View Post
Well the batteries were over charged and bone dry. I did find a inverter in a cabinet but not sure if was the one that might have been replaced or if it needs to be installed. Also I have been starting the generator while plugged in to 50 amp, so I wonder if the transfer switch in not working, causing the batteries being over charged and boiling all the water away.
Some of what I said above may not apply with this news.

What are the voltages when batteries are properly filled?

Assume that there was some water because a "bone dry" condition should result in there being no voltage.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:25 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

0 volts after I put some water in got 4 volts
Old 10-26-2014, 12:27 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

re: no TV picture, found an old VHS hooked it up and got picture but NO Sound
Old 10-26-2014, 03:14 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneyes View Post
re: no TV picture, found an old VHS hooked it up and got picture but NO Sound
The general wiring convention is yellow for video, red and white for audio. If it were mine, I would get a DVD player and an HDMI cable. HDMI carries both audio and video, and there is not likely to be a problem mixing up input and output. If that combo does not yield picture or sound, there is a problem with your new TV (possibly can fix by changing settings -- the TV should on HDMI for this test).
For OTA, the rough schematic is antenna to amplifier to TV. Here the TV should be set to TV.

Good luck to you.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

As I recall if using the VCR/DVD for recording the antenna feed may be going to it then a feed to the TV from the VCR. If removing the VCR it may be as simple as attaching the antenna feed to the VCR to the TV. When I replaced our TV I discovered that the original factory wiring had been modified/added to quite a bit and some of the coax cables were dead. Always an issue with used coaches-modifications with no info supplied as to what was done.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Greeneyes, My TV is in the center up against the ceiling. There is a compartment on the right side of the TV up against the ceiling. In the compartment next to the TV is a box I'm calling the selector box. I hooked the antenna cable to the back connector labeled ANT. I hooked the front TV cable to the connector labeled TV1. I hooked the rear (bedroom) TV cable to the one labeled TV2. That is all I have hooked up except the DVD player is hooked to the back of the front TV.
The little connector box has push buttons on the front of it. The first 3 buttons are for the TV1 the selections are ANT, AUX & VCR. I selected AUG.
The second 2 buttons are for the VCR. The selections are ANT & AUX. I omited it because the VCR isn't in use.
The third set of buttons are for TV2, The selections are ANT, AUX & VCR. I selected AUX.
I pressed the booster button behind TV1 near the electrical plug to turn it off. It is for the antenna. I am on cable.
If I was on antenna I would press the button and the light would indicate the booster is switched on. Then I would select ANT on TV1 &TV2 on the selector box.
Both TVs work fine now.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Not sure what the wiring diagram looks like but it may be worth pointing out that most VCR setups have the Antenna going to the VCR. The VCR has a relay that sends the signal on to the TV or to the internal tuner. I'd try connecting the cable that went to the VCR to the new TV. YMMV.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:38 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

tv replace

Glad you got it working-enjoy
jazzerjump is offline   Reply With Quote