Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Switch and Coax Wiring Question

I owned a 1995 Winnebago Minnie and it had a cover plate that has a coax connection to the antenna, a 12V socket and a boost switch for the antenna.

On the 2000 Minnie Winnie I recently purchased, the cover plate above the dinette has spaces for these items but is filled with blanks except for the boost switch. When I removed the cover there is some sort of electronic device with two coax connections. I'm trying to figure out how to tap into these to add an antenna connection. The back bedroom and outside entertainment center both HAVE coax connections.

ALSO, what is the switch just to the right of the brown cover plate? It has three purple wires attached.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-20_17-30-08_877.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	27999   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-20_17-29-55_749.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	28000  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-20_17-28-56_401.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	28001  
Old 10-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

That is a booster only one cable comes from the roof antenna and the other cable runs to the selector box you don't tap it to anything there all of is handled through the selector box, why are you adding a antenna there. All the TV's should be wired, the booster has a 12V pos and neg line have you checked to see if the switch turns the booster off or if it turns something off
Old 10-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Look on page 4 of the Sensar manual

Winegard Sensar Manual
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightriderrv
That is a booster only one cable comes from the roof antenna and the other cable runs to the selector box you don't tap it to anything there all of is handled through the selector box, why are you adding a antenna there. All the TV's should be wired, the booster has a 12V pos and neg line have you checked to see if the switch turns the booster off or if it turns something off
Ok that makes sense. But i cannot find a select box. The winnebago schematics show a tv cabinet above the dinette but there is nothing in there as far as cables or outlets. That's why I want to tap into the cables with a splitter. Like i said, the bedroom and outside ent center are all set up. But we want a tv in the living space.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley
Look on page 4 of the Sensar manual

Winegard Sensar Manual
Thanks a ton for the link, John. My connector only has two coax connections. I assume one from the antenna and one to a splitter or selector switch that I cannot locate. Bedroom and outside ent center both have coax plugs
Old 10-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Here's the TV Coax Wiring Diagram, TV/VCR, Front Wiring Installation, and TV/VCR, Side Wiring Installation diagrams for your coach. Perhaps they'll help you figure things out.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondad

ALSO, what is the switch just to the right of the brown cover plate? It has three purple wires attached.

That switch is a 3way for the night lights. We have another switch in the bedroom. Our night lights are at floor level at the front door and in the hallway.

Safe Travels
Loozycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:07 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I assume from your description you are looking for a Magnadyne Video Control Center. You will need to run a coax from the box to the TV, but if the location of the TV is close to existing connections that should not be an issue. I removed my control center when I converted everything to HDMI. Let me know if you are interested in it.
johnnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Switch purpose discovered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loozycat View Post
That switch is a 3way for the night lights. We have another switch in the bedroom. Our night lights are at floor level at the front door and in the hallway.

Safe Travels
Looztcat - THANKS! That is exactly what that switch is for. I usually work on the RV during the day so I didn't see that light turning off and on.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Update on Coax confusion

Well as far as I can tell the RV is not wired for a TV in the living area. There is a coax plug in the bedroom and outside entertainment center.

So last night I removed the access panel to the speaker that is over the dinette and found a bunch of coax wires. After some poking around and scratching my head I determined that one was from the antenna and goes straight to the booster switch. Then one comes from the booster switch (I THINK) into a 2 way splitter that goes to the bedroom and outside. And another wire goes to the "cable in" jack located in the power bay outside. I have no idea where this one terminates and believe it must tie into the cable coming out from the booster somehow.

My plan is to install a three way splitter in place of the two way splitter and add a coax jack to the access panel. That will solve my problem.

My only question is how are the "cable in" from the power bay and coax FROM the booster tied together (if at all)? I can figure it out if I tear the cabinet floor off but would prefer to avoid that. I assume they must be joined somehow since there is no swith anywhere ( I looked in every cabinet, outside bay and under every piece of furniture for a switch).

Any insight into how these two coax wires interact is greatly appreciated!

Bondad
Old 10-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Did you look at the TV Coax wiring diagram I posted a link to above?

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Did you look at the TV Coax wiring diagram I posted a link to above?

Yes Chris I did but I don't know which connection I have. I THINK I have the one on page 2, rows A & B and columns 5, 6, 7 & 8.

The two coax cables connected to the booster have a blue band and a yellow band. There is not a third coax connector on the booster. The blue is for the antenna in but none of the diagrams show a yellow cable going into the booster. You can clearly see the yellow band and barely see the blue band if you click on my picture above (very top of picture).

The cables coming out of the cupboard in the speaker panel look like the bottom section of your diagram with the green red and blue bands and splitter. Red is for the external cable in (but I don't know where it terminates), green goes to the bedroom and ext ent center (but I don't know where these originate) and I don't know where the yellow banded coax goes after leaving the booster.

I'm ready to rip the bottom off the shelf off to expose the wires. Something just doesn't add up - there seems to be a connection problem somewhere. I did notice some duct tape in the hole where the booster goes into the cabinet and a few extra screw holes where the plate connects to the cabinet. I think a previous owner may have rewired something.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:14 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

You need switch box that can control 3 tv's then you can termite all your wires to the box and control all the TV's viewing sources

Look at this listing the front of the box explain it all

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Winegard-RV-...b8d728&vxp=mtr
Old 10-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

The external cable coax may go to the two tvs and selected by tv source selection

On our plate if you turn the boost on the tv receives off the air. If you turn the boost off the tvs receive cable.

Tags
wiring