Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
swk
Winnebago Camper

Steering wheel radio controls

My 2008 Winnebago Tour (Freightliner Chassis) came with a cheezy velcro radio remote. I hated that thing so decided it was time for a modification. I noticed the newer coaches have a nice integrated radio control pad in the lower steering wheel.

The part you need is Winnebago p/n 163142-13-000. My radio is a Jensen VR182 and Jensen identifies the remote as REMSWWIN. I ordered mine from Lichtsinn Motors at 800-343-6255. About $90 including shipping and had it in 3 days.

Installation is very easy and the results turned out great. Took about 20 minutes to install.
1) You should install batteries in the remote and hold it in place on the steering wheel to be sure it controls the radio. If not, hold it close to the IR receiver which is on the instrument cluster on my coach. If the remote now works you may need to move the IR receiver from the instrument cluster to the steering column beneath the remote. I did NOT have to move the IR receiver even though Winnebago thought I may have too.

2) Remove the steering wheel horn pad. Freightliner makes two types;
- A small screw on the underside near the seat. -OR-
- Grip the horn pad on the top edge with both hands and brace your fore arms on the steering wheel and forcefully pull towards you. It will pop off but be careful as there is a wire attached.

3) Place the small brace that comes with the new remote on the lower inside of the steering wheel. Center it and drill two holes through the front edge of the steering wheel.

4) Insert the threaded studs on the remote through the new holes and install the lock nuts that came with the remote. Be sure to leave the brace in place.

5) Connect the wire to the horn pad if you disconnected it. Align the horn pad and push down to pop it back in place.

6) Enjoy your new radio control pad.

First picture shows horn pad removed. Second picture shows finished steering wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SteeringWheelRemoved.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	27168   Click image for larger version

Name:	SteeringWheelFinished50.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	27169  

swk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Fantastic! I thought it was a different steering wheel and not such a simple upgrade. I have my cheesy remote at the bottom of the steering wheel and have wished my 08 Vectra had the later wheel. Thanks for the information. I'm off to order that upgrade.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by winne2008 View Post
The part you need is Winnebago p/n 163142-13-000. My radio is a Jensen VR182 and Jensen identifies the remote as REMSWWIN. I ordered mine from Lichtsinn Motors at 800-343-6255. About $90 including shipping and had it in 3 days.

Installation is very easy and the results turned out great. Took about 20 minutes to install.
1) You should install batteries in the remote.....
Mine came factory installed. I wonder if it is permanently wired or has batteries as above?

Thanks for the info-mine is loose and I see how to access the nuts to tighten it.
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
Mine came factory installed. I wonder if it is permanently wired or has batteries as above?

Thanks for the info-mine is loose and I see how to access the nuts to tighten it.
Do you have a sensor below the steering wheel as pictured in this message?
http://cdn.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...2&d=1296350477
Hopefully that appears as I wanted. It is from #10 message: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/radio...eel-83627.html
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have always thought a "Smart Wheel" would be handy.. Last week we rented a Ford for a day and it had a smart wheel.. No I don't think they are so handy any more. IN fact it was a pain in the anatomy.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
swk
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry J View Post
Do you have a sensor below the steering wheel as pictured in this message?
http://cdn.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...2&d=1296350477
Hopefully that appears as I wanted. It is from #10 message: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/radio...eel-83627.html
No. Mine is in the dash cluster and I did NOT have to move it. Still works great. See my first post and read step 1 to test yours.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
swk
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I have always thought a "Smart Wheel" would be handy.. Last week we rented a Ford for a day and it had a smart wheel.. No I don't think they are so handy any more. IN fact it was a pain in the anatomy.
This is a matter of personal preference. Sure beats the goof ball velcro remote.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
swk
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post

You will know when it quits. I am pretty sure all the remotes have batteries. There should be a small cover on the remote facing the drivers seat. Pop it loose to find the batteries.

Tags
radio, steering