My 2008 Winnebago Tour (Freightliner Chassis) came with a cheezy velcro radio remote. I hated that thing so decided it was time for a modification. I noticed the newer coaches have a nice integrated radio control pad in the lower steering wheel.
The part you need is Winnebago p/n 163142-13-000
. My radio is a Jensen VR182 and Jensen identifies the remote as REMSWWIN. I ordered mine from Lichtsinn Motors at 800-343-6255. About $90 including shipping and had it in 3 days.
Installation is very easy and the results turned out great. Took about 20 minutes to install.
1) You should install batteries in the remote and hold it in place on the steering wheel to be sure it controls the radio. If not, hold it close to the IR receiver which is on the instrument cluster on my coach. If the remote now works you may need to move the IR receiver from the instrument cluster to the steering column beneath the remote. I did NOT have to move the IR receiver even though Winnebago thought I may have too.
2) Remove the steering wheel horn pad. Freightliner makes two types;
- A small screw on the underside near the seat. -OR-
- Grip the horn pad on the top edge with both hands and brace your fore arms on the steering wheel and forcefully pull towards you. It will pop off but be careful as there is a wire attached.
3) Place the small brace that comes with the new remote on the lower inside of the steering wheel. Center it and drill two holes through the front edge of the steering wheel.
4) Insert the threaded studs on the remote through the new holes and install the lock nuts that came with the remote. Be sure to leave the brace in place.
5) Connect the wire to the horn pad if you disconnected it. Align the horn pad and push down to pop it back in place.
6) Enjoy your new radio control pad.
First picture shows horn pad removed. Second picture shows finished steering wheel.