Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2021, 03:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

stairs aren't retracting fully

Hi All!

The automatic stairs on my 2011 Sightseer 35J aren't retracting fully (only about halfway) when I close the door to the vehicle. The only way I can get them to do so before travel is to pull on them while I've closed the door enough to trigger them. I've applied plenty of lube to all of the areas that would seem to contribute to the effort with no success. Any suggestions how to fix?
ccwinnie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:06 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwinnie71 View Post
Hi All!

The automatic stairs on my 2011 Sightseer 35J aren't retracting fully (only about halfway) when I close the door to the vehicle. The only way I can get them to do so before travel is to pull on them while I've closed the door enough to trigger them. I've applied plenty of lube to all of the areas that would seem to contribute to the effort with no success. Any suggestions how to fix?
I had a similar problem on my old coach. The trick that worked for me I found on another thread in the forums. This assumes that the step generally works and doesn't have a motor or gear problem. While the stair is retracting, grab the bottom step and push it from side to side (towards the front and rear of the coach). Maybe do it two or three times. I was a little worried about how much force to use but I ended up tugging on it pretty hard. Be careful not to pinch your fingers! My stair wasn't broken, it just seemed to tighten up over time.

Also, I used silicone spray lubricant since it does not attract dirt and once it is dry, does not get on your clothes if you brush up against it. I generally resprayed it once every couple of months or so.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

mine did that ,but it ended up being stripped gears on the motor. 25 bucks later it works great.
paranoid56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the suggestions...i'll try that!