Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Sony back up cam replacement?

I have the stock Sony b/w back up cam in my Winnie. It is giving me intermittent video on the road, with no video when I put the MH in reverse gear. Does anyone make a reliable drop in replacement which will fit the old dash hole and reuse the cables? Preferably color. The Sony CRT monitor is, well, a dinosaur. This week I came within inches of backing into a truck parked where he wasn't supposed to be, trusting a campground host for directions. Freaked me out, and him when he realized he wasn't doing his job.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Give these guys a call, RVCams Backup Cameras and Rear View Systems: Backup Camera Systems (All)
Very helpful , ship fast. Have your existing camera model number etc. when you call.
RG
RedGrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Does anyone know off hand if your RV is equiped with a Sony B/W camera with Audio can the camera and monitor be replaced without having to run new wiring? Wasnt sure if its just a coax monitor feel with additional Coax audio. Seems like it would work and if so that would be a fairly easy upgrade.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I had to run brand new wiring. The old Sony b/w camera with sound did not have enough wires to work with the new color camera system I installed. I ended up running it down through the back extension, under the vehicle, and up into the dash from the front. It took a couple of hours and several wire ties and cable clamps.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

So, has anyone used this Voyager b/w monitor replacement only option?

RVCams Backup Cameras and Rear View Systems: Replacement for Black/White Sony Backup Monnitor

Old 04-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
So, has anyone used this Voyager b/w monitor replacement only option?

RVCams Backup Cameras and Rear View Systems: Replacement for Black/White Sony Backup Monnitor

Yes I replaced mine with this unit. My screen would black out after about 10 minutes. works fine now.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGrizz View Post
Yes I replaced mine with this unit. My screen would black out after about 10 minutes. works fine now.
Thanks.

At $247 it looks like the least expensive option that will still have the factory look, so I am going to try it. Funny, but today $247 will get you a 27" flat screen HDTV, oh well.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I ordered it on the 15th and had it installed on the 19th. This unit is made as an almost direct replacement for the 7" Sony b/w monitor. They provide a short cable to adapt to the Sony 4 wire camera cable and they provide an easy wiring diagram to power it up, including the trigger wire to turn it on when you put the RV in reverse. The old monitor is held in place by 4 knurled knobs which you reuse ( I could only get 3 in due to clearance issues.) The hardest part was getting the old unit out. Just like the new monitor, the old one has slightly raised bosses where the knobs attach and they catch on the sharp edge of the plastic dash as you try to pull it out the front. I took a file and put a bevel on the edge where it was getting hung up and then it finally slid out with some hard wiggling.

Powered it up and it seemed to work as it should. I haven't taken it on the road yet to put it to the long term test. The new monitor is about an eighth of an inch narrower, so there is a slight gap on one side which is not noticable with the dash hinged back down to its normal driving position. So far so good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0243-resize.JPG
Views:	504
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	20226  
Old 10-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Well something quit working, all I get, even with the new monitor, is a white screen. Pulled off the camera, and the cable looks to be permanently attached. And I don't see where it is run down the back cap. Sound works. How do I tell if it is the cable, the camera, or the new monitor?
Old 10-30-2012, 10:17 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

What happens when you switch from camera 1 to 2 ? Does the screen look the same? The camera should have a connector on it possibly a couple feet from the camera. Pull the grommet from the cap and carefully pull the cable through. You can send your camera in to have it checked at RVcams. or you may give them a call.
By the way, check connections on the monitor to be sure they are tight.
Good luck.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGrizz View Post
What happens when you switch from camera 1 to 2 ? Does the screen look the same? The camera should have a connector on it possibly a couple feet from the camera. Pull the grommet from the cap and carefully pull the cable through. You can send your camera in to have it checked at RVcams. or you may give them a call.
By the way, check connections on the monitor to be sure they are tight.
Good luck.
Same screen when on camera 1 or 2. I did pull the camera and found that the camera did have a 24" cord that plugged into the main cable behind the cap. I called RVcams and they thought the camera is the strongest link in the system, the cable the weakest and subject to damage from mice. The sent me a new cable and the now camera works with the new cable. Now I just need to figure out how to pull a new cable down the cap so I can run it along the frame. I crawled under with my super LED search light and couldn't see a clear path. Any ideas?
Old 02-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

replacement cam

My sony was dead when I bought our "new to us" vectra.. I searched around and monitor prices of $900 was nuts.. Even used ones were over $200..
So I scoured the internet and came up with a nice 7" color monitor, with a remote and 2 inputs, and "back up priority mode" ..
( green wire that when connected to the reverse light ckt, forces unit to cam 1.
however, I did not use it. instead, I used 2 cams, one up close (0-30'), and one straight back (10- ~ ) I used smoked plexiglass as a spacer to fill in the space.
looks great and works great too.
SONY has sound, new one doesn't, so I used the sound leads for second cam.
The monitor was $35, and each cam was $12. ($59 total)
I think it has much much better image that the old black and white.

actually was very easy swap.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	driver1.JPG
Views:	703
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	33293  
kb7uxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:28 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7uxe View Post
My sony was dead when I bought our "new to us" vectra.. I searched around and monitor prices of $900 was nuts.. Even used ones were over $200..
So I scoured the internet and came up with a nice 7" color monitor, with a remote and 2 inputs, and "back up priority mode" ..
( green wire that when connected to the reverse light ckt, forces unit to cam 1.
however, I did not use it. instead, I used 2 cams, one up close (0-30'), and one straight back (10- ~ ) I used smoked plexiglass as a spacer to fill in the space.
looks great and works great too.
SONY has sound, new one doesn't, so I used the sound leads for second cam.
The monitor was $35, and each cam was $12. ($59 total)
I think it has much much better image that the old black and white.

actually was very easy swap.
Wow! Great prices. Would you mind posting the links? Thanks!
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:28 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

A little late, but here ya go..
I just bought these for my brothers motor home.
Same cameras and display.
Dan.

display
7" TFT LCD Color Video Car Rearview Headrest Monitor DVD VCR VCD Backup Camera | eBay
cam
New Car Vehicle Rear View 170º Angle Backup Camera Reverse | eBay
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	k352-5-4740.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	34873   Click image for larger version

Name:	k352-8-4740.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	34874