Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2015, 12:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Sirius Radio Antenna

We bought a new Winnebago Trend last month. It's 23 feet long and on a Dodge Promaster chassis. It has all the electronics, including navigation and Sirius radio capability. The issue we are having is that we cannot get the radio to receive the Sirius signal. I took it back to our RV dealer, and their technician said it's a Dodge issue. I took it to our Dodge dealer and, after about four hours, was told that it is an antenna issue and, therefore, a Winnebago problem. The Dodge technician was very nice, but said that he could not get into the area where the antenna is because of all the Winnebago cabinets, etc. He showed me that when he put a test antenna on the radio and held the antenna out of the RV, the radio got the Sirius signal. He concluded that the antenna was either disconnected or had a break in it. I again brought it back to the RV dealer who again kept the RV a couple of days and said it was a radio problem. The RV technician said the antenna was good because it received the GPS signal. Another Dodge technician, however, said the antenna is designed to receive both signals, but a problem with the antenna could cause it to not receive the Sirius signal. He also said it is not a Dodge warranty issue because Dodge did not do the original Winnebago installation. Now I don't know what to do. I'd appreciate some thoughts from those on this site. Thanks. Komac
komac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Sounds like your RV dealer is inept. Call Winnie customer service directly and get some factory support on your side.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_vfox View Post
Sounds like your RV dealer is inept. Call Winnie customer service directly and get some factory support on your side.
Great idea!!!!
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

komac, sounds like the old dealer two step, I agree get Winnebago involved.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the replies. What I would like to know specifically is whether a dedicated antenna is required for reception of the Sirius signal. Some have told me yes, but others say an antenna which receives satelite signals for GPS can also receive the Sirius signal. My radio does get GPS, but not Sirius as it is now installed in my motor home. The Dodge technician received Sirius on that radio when he unplugged the roof antenna from the back of the radio and used a test, hand-held antenna which he plugged into the radio and simply held out the window of the RV when he was trouble-shooting. Thanks. Komac
Old 05-30-2015, 08:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by komac View Post
What I would like to know specifically is whether a dedicated antenna is required for reception of the Sirius signal.
Wish we could help with an answer but we have no idea. Good luck.
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

What brand radio do you have. If it is an aftermarket you will have 2 antennas. The gps and sirus normally are black about 1 inch thick and 1.5 inches square. They should be on top of your RV

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-30-2015, 09:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

komac, have been doing a lot of searching. The Sirius/GPS antenna is supplied by RAM WBGO moves it from the top of the cap to the top of the motorhome using a extension cable. For reference our coach only has a Sirius brand antenna that supplies signal to the Sirius radio/GPS. I believe it takes a lot stronger signal to the Sirius radio than to the GPS. So there could be a bad connection where WBGO installed the extension. I found combo antennas on line but I think all OEM,s use single antennas now.
I can relate to you frustration I had a problem running both AC units with the generator. WBGO had the fix and send the part to my dealer under warranty. There was a required bracket for the delay unit that I finally ended up paying for and installing myself because the dealer said it would not fit.
The dealer owns you a fix for the bad antenna!!
Old 05-30-2015, 09:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

It seems that there may be some problems with the antenna WI is using for the Infotainment system.

Our new 2015 Cambria had problems with the sirius reception, displayed a check antenna message. No problems with the GPS system.

Buddy Gregg checked it out and said was repaired, but when I was picking it up it failed again. They went out of their way to have a tech look at it in the parking lot. He unplugged the antenna from the receiver and plugged it back in, but was not satisfied. His comment was that he had run into it many times, that it was only a temporary fix.

It sounds like you may have a similar problem. Only solution is to run new antenna, which does involve some work to access.

We have a temporary fix on ours until fall - they just ran an antenna from the radio and laid on the dash to get us going!

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I very much appreciate all the effort made on my behalf to help solve our Sirius reception problem on our new Dodge Trend. I too believe that I have a bad antenna or, at least, a faulty antenna connection. My RV dealer maintained that it was a bad radio and, therefore, covered by the Dodge warranty, even when a Dodge technician called the RV dealership directly and explained once more that the radio checks out OK with a test antenna! The RV dealer service manager now appears to have changed her mind. She told me two days ago that she is asking Winnebago for authorization to replace the existing antenna. That's good news. I hope things continue positive from this point on. Thanks again for all the assistance. I will post again once there is some resolution. Komac
Old 05-31-2015, 04:58 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

komac, you are quite welcome.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:10 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

This is a bit late, but I want all to know that Winnebago did authorize our dealer to replace the antenna on our Trend. The dealer kept it for about a week and then gave it back to us, working perfectly! The Dodge service center was correct when they said Winnebago was responsible for the repair. It would have been a sign of good customer service had they taken responsibility sooner, without bouncing me to and from a Dodge dealership (twice), a dealership that is nearly thirty miles from our home. I'm happy with the outcome though and looking forward to some good travel experiences, quite different, I'm sure, because most of all our past camping travel was done in class A motorhomes. Thanks again for everyone's advice. Komac
Old 06-28-2015, 09:24 AM   #13
JBP
Winnie-Wise

The same thing happened with our new Trend 23L. I took it back to the dealer and we discovered that Winnebago had not hook the antenna up. There is a plastic cover below the sky light and above the tray over the seats. Remove that cover and you will see wires there. What the technician showed me was the wire from the radio to the wire to the antenna was not plugged in. There is a plug but Winnebago had not plugged it in. He did and then tapped it. Works great now.
This is a little late sorry.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:02 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, JBP. I was wondering where the dealer could have accessed the Sirius connection. Now I know! It wasn't as difficult as the dealer pretended it was. Thanks again. Komac
Old 06-29-2015, 11:06 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Great news. I have a 2015 35F that has intermittent connection to Sirius. Of course the dealer pulled the radio and saw the connection was tight and said it was probably as bad head unit and ordered one. I have no confidence that it is the radio, but I understand why they have to check the easy things first and would rather replace a radio as opposed to pull new wire.

Tags
antenna, radio