Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2008, 06:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

On my 07 Journey, I have the factory optioned Sirius radio. It was replaced once under warranty when it failed and wouldn't get a signal. The new unit worked fine for the last 6-7 months.

Now when the radio is in the Sirius mode, the reception is very staticy, you cannot listen to the music. The radio works perfectly on AM, FM, Weather Band and with a CD in. Only has the problem in the Sirius mode.

I pulled the radio out of the dash and checked all connections, they are tight. I can't see where there is an external Sirius adapter that is supposed to be there. I checked the WB wiring diagrams which show a connecting wiring harness to the Sirius adapter, but not any location. The Sirius roof antenna is in place and not missing due to a low branch or something.

Of course my Journey is now out of warranty. So before I do major exploritory surgerey under the dash, can anyone point me in the right direction to find the Sirius unit?

Thanks!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

On my 07 Journey, I have the factory optioned Sirius radio. It was replaced once under warranty when it failed and wouldn't get a signal. The new unit worked fine for the last 6-7 months.

Now when the radio is in the Sirius mode, the reception is very staticy, you cannot listen to the music. The radio works perfectly on AM, FM, Weather Band and with a CD in. Only has the problem in the Sirius mode.

I pulled the radio out of the dash and checked all connections, they are tight. I can't see where there is an external Sirius adapter that is supposed to be there. I checked the WB wiring diagrams which show a connecting wiring harness to the Sirius adapter, but not any location. The Sirius roof antenna is in place and not missing due to a low branch or something.

Of course my Journey is now out of warranty. So before I do major exploritory surgerey under the dash, can anyone point me in the right direction to find the Sirius unit?

Thanks!

Old 09-23-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Paul - I have an alternate suggestion to consider. You are probably aware of the Sirius-XM merger - I read an article about new receivers reflecting a technology change coming on the market sometime next year. For the interim, you can buy a cheap portable Sirius receiver and plug the audio out of the receiver into the aux input of the current radio (since it works in other modes.)

Then when the dust settles due to the merger, you can choose a long-term solution.

We use a portable XM receiver and move it around as needed. This works great for us and we have a total of about $50 invested. If the receiver ever fails, it goes in the trash and we'll buy another cheap unit.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have the optional Sirius in my '05. Never turned it on once - never activated the trial.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

John,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to compare the plugs, it appeared to be a kind of plug that had several pins in it.

I have several XM radios and never had an issue with any of them. Wish WB had originally installed XM.

BTW, I have enjoyed your posts and blog since you came aboard. You have some great ideas and cool innovative modifications. Keep up the good work, it helps us mere mortals.

Best Regards!

Old 09-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We were listening to sirius while going to the Smokeys. I noticed that several times the "no signal" would show up. The station I had stayed on but I could not change stations. I wonder if they are making some changes to the satellites??

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

No sat changes, this seems to be a comm error from the Sirus module to the receiver sometimes when it gets shadowed by a bridge or tree and won't recover, mine does the same.

Location: the module is on the firewall almost directly behind the steering column and to the left. It's almost impossible to see through the wire looms even if you are at face level with it. I have had mine out and it's removal and re-install was by total feel.

You will also be drawing a little blood on your arms while in there care of those slit-wrap wire looms. Only takes about a week or two to heal..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Jeff,

Thank you very much, I had visions of the module being under the dashboard area. I was going to pull the whole dash off to find it. Cuts be darned, you saved me a couple hours worth of work.

Best Regards!

Old 09-29-2008, 08:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I always travel with XM. My first guess is that the antenna connection became loose or broken. However, many XM receivers display "no antenna" if the connection is broken. I have found XM technical support helpful on the phone. Some FM modulators intercept the antenna line of the radio, so follow the antenna line to a connector box. The advantage of the hard wired radio over the portable (which I use in one of my cars) is that while traveling you do not need to find a clear unused FM channel. In the Los Angeles area the portable units must be reset to a new FM channel as you cross over every hill, and we have many hills.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:07 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

One thing that occurred to me reading Kalyzoo's response..
If the radio displays "No Signal" even while playing, see up..
If it's appears to be intermittent, it's possible that the push-on connector (mini SMA or something) may not be snapped into the radio all the way. Mine was really loose so I distorted the fitting slightly so as to wedge the connector on to the receiver.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:10 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

When I had Sirus installed in an F-350, the reception was static -y and an FM modulater had to be installed. Once it was installed the only time I ever lost reception from Texas to Maine was going through tunnels or under long overpasses in a city.

I'm not sure if that applies to the Sirus in the MH.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:25 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Not sure if this will matter in your's, but our Jensen radio would display the Sirrus show titles, but I could hot hear anything. Additionally, various buttons would not work -- the MUTE button would show mute, but the volume (on AM) stayed on.

I found a reset button (a small, unmarked button) on the front bottom right of the radio. I could push this with the tip of a ballpoint pen and it reset everything, including the time. After this, everything has worked great.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote