Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-13-2022, 10:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Selecting replacement dash radio 2016 Vista LX

I recently purchased a 2016 Winnebago Vista LX 35F that has an original dash mounted double Din radio that is terrible! I am looking to replace it with a new Android compatible radio that includes the three camera capability (Rear and two sides). I have not opened the dash so I don't know what connectors the current radio utilizes for the camera operation. (Is it one plug or three different?) I would like the new radio to have a DVD/CD and definitely Bluetooth audio capability. I have definitely learned over the years that the higher end brands that cost a lot of $$$ are not always the best option. Looking for someone out there that has replaced their radio and is happy with it's capability and operation. Thanks for your input!
jsa2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 05:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsa2000 View Post
I recently purchased a 2016 Winnebago Vista LX 35F that has an original dash mounted double Din radio that is terrible! I am looking to replace it with a new Android compatible radio that includes the three camera capability (Rear and two sides). I have not opened the dash so I don't know what connectors the current radio utilizes for the camera operation. (Is it one plug or three different?) I would like the new radio to have a DVD/CD and definitely Bluetooth audio capability. I have definitely learned over the years that the higher end brands that cost a lot of $$$ are not always the best option. Looking for someone out there that has replaced their radio and is happy with it's capability and operation. Thanks for your input!
Terrible what doe sit do wrong, just old? You don't say what you have?

I assumed my OEM Pioneer was no good because of issues with screen going black. It turned out to be a defective switcher that Winnebago replaced under warranty. No issues since. I then wanted to replace to get the newer android features as part of the radio. I took the RV to Car Toys and they crowed that I would be crazy to replace my Pioneer for one of those cheaper radios you see all the time with big screens etc. Then they helped me to install wireless controls on my Steering wheel for the radio My phones stream to the bluetooth so I have all I need including waze.

But in general any Double Din radio you like should work. A lot of people install themselves, but I see no reason to NOT go to a professional stereo shop and pay them $100. You will be a lot happier and be done in no time. Somethings are worth the expertise, and this is one of them. It is cheap.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 06:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Not any older than 2016. It does not have Bluetooth anything, does not have an auxiliary plug or port, does not sync with my phone, touch screen functions are very slow or sometimes non responsive creating a driving hazard while trying to change stations while under way. It's just pretty much lacking in every way. I'm pretty sure it's a Pioneer as well. I installed a very inexpensive Clarion in my previous RV that was head over heals better than this one. Unfortunately Clarion is pretty much gone now and the model is no longer available.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I’m a little surprised, I have a 2015 Vista and it had a pioneer head unit in there, Bluetooth worked great and it connected with my iPhone via USB just fine. I did recently upgrade it as it was starting to get a little “twitchy” as you described and would be unresponsive at times. I went with the newer version of what was there to preserve the DVD functionality. DVD in car is a dying format, I had to hunt to get what I did, most of the radios coming out now are dropping optical media all together.

I went with this: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/6-8-blu...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Although I did need to do a new wiring harness, it’s pretty close to plug and play and worked with the existing XM tuning box and cameras. I did also install a ebrake bypass switch (easily found on Amazon), not to watch videos on it while in motion (although it will let you with that add on) but to get rid of the 90000 warnings on the screen when using it to play videos on the main TV while parked. (For anyone else reading, on our year Vistas dash radio also acts as the DVD player for the main TV. The TV is mounted in a area it’s not practical to have a standard DVD/blu ray player hitched up to it)

Relative to your cameras, if same as mine, there is a switching box in the dash that triggers between the side and rear cameras as appropriate, so the radio only needs one camera input.

Overall happy with new unit, very response, screen is MUCH easier to see even with polarized sun glasses on, and it works/sounds good. Only complaint, volume buttons are on side and kinda small, can be hard to use at times.
Old 08-13-2022, 08:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastvalve View Post
I’m a little surprised, I have a 2015 Vista and it had a pioneer head unit in there, Bluetooth worked great and it connected with my iPhone via USB just fine. I did recently upgrade it as it was starting to get a little “twitchy” as you described and would be unresponsive at times. I went with the newer version of what was there to preserve the DVD functionality. DVD in car is a dying format, I had to hunt to get what I did, most of the radios coming out now are dropping optical media all together.

I went with this: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/6-8-blu...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Although I did need to do a new wiring harness, it’s pretty close to plug and play and worked with the existing XM tuning box and cameras. I did also install a ebrake bypass switch (easily found on Amazon), not to watch videos on it while in motion (although it will let you with that add on) but to get rid of the 90000 warnings on the screen when using it to play videos on the main TV while parked. (For anyone else reading, on our year Vistas dash radio also acts as the DVD player for the main TV. The TV is mounted in a area it’s not practical to have a standard DVD/blu ray player hitched up to it)

Relative to your cameras, if same as mine, there is a switching box in the dash that triggers between the side and rear cameras as appropriate, so the radio only needs one camera input.

Overall happy with new unit, very response, screen is MUCH easier to see even with polarized sun glasses on, and it works/sounds good. Only complaint, volume buttons are on side and kinda small, can be hard to use at times.
Yes sir, you just posted a link to what I would buy if mine ever were to go out. I love the Pioneer you looking at, I put it my Best Buy Cart for future. FWIW, notice how the have Free Installation. I get people that know stereo in and out doing it themselves, but me; how many radios you gonna buy? I got $100 every time for a pro to install for me.

The pros at Car Toys had every motivation to sell me a new unit, but it worked perfectly and they told me to replace now (back then; 3 years ago) was burning money. With that said, my video switcher which is external to the Pioneer was on the blink.

Not only can I bluetooth to the phone, the phone will also bluetooth to my Visio sound bar; so I have sound coming out of my Alpines in the front and the Vision with Woofer near the TV.

If OP had a Axerra Radio that is used by Thor, I could the beef, but a Pioneer installed by Winnebago?

I have the MVH-200EX https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...-200EX#General it is certainly not Pioneer's top of the line, but it does all that the OP asked about and more.

I had the below remote switch installed and it made a major difference; as I no longer have to reach for the radio while driving. It is not only a wireless remote on steering wheel, but you can slide the remote off and use as a free hand remote while walking inside the coach, or even outside
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210907_175006.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	183804  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 08-14-2022, 07:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I went with a similar model for a upgrade project to the exterior entertainment center. It would also be plug and play. (The one I used for the internal upgrade was essentially “this years” version.)

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...de-357903.html
Old 08-14-2022, 07:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Not any older than 2016. It does not have Bluetooth anything, does not have an auxiliary plug or port, does not sync with my phone, touch screen functions are very slow or sometimes non responsive creating a driving hazard while trying to change stations while under way. It's just pretty much lacking in every way. I'm pretty sure it's a Pioneer as well. I installed a very inexpensive Clarion in my previous RV that was head over heals better than this one. Unfortunately Clarion is pretty much gone now and the model is no longer available.
FWIW - If the same unit as was on mine, there is an Aux port on the back, Winnie chose to not run a cable out to the front.

I know my posts have been Pioneer specific, but over on the sister site IRV2 (same group as this forum) a lot of folks in general have been happy with the Kenwood line of receivers.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I went with a similar model for a upgrade project to the exterior entertainment center. It would also be plug and play. (The one I used for the internal upgrade was essentially “this years” version.)

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...de-357903.html
In my version of 2019 29ve Sunstar, Winnebago did away with physical external unit in favor of a simple Toggle switch next to outdoor TV that allows you you to switch the audio from Outdoor TV or the Interior Pioneer Radio. There is also a switch inside in the cab area where you can turn power on the interior Radio without a key or being in accessory mode.

When you add my aftermarket supplied remote (pictured above); I can be outside changing stations and adjusting volume on the inside Pioneer radio. If I wanted to really entertain, I can bring my Visio Soundbar from inside to outside and plug in I have really rich sound, but the two outside speakers are enough because I don't want it too loud anyway. But if it is a larger tailgate party, I will do.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
FWIW - If the same unit as was on mine, there is an Aux port on the back, Winnie chose to not run a cable out to the front.

I know my posts have been Pioneer specific, but over on the sister site IRV2 (same group as this forum) a lot of folks in general have been happy with the Kenwood line of receivers.
OP has not been back.

Kenwood is certainly a good option.

I guess to me the focus was on the OPs 1st statement.
I recently purchased a 2016 Winnebago Vista LX 35F that has an original dash mounted double Din radio that is terrible! I am looking to replace it with a new Android compatible radio that includes the three camera capability (Rear and two sides)

He is / was saying the Pioneer is "terrible"? and wanting a Android compatible model. He never stated what model Pioneer he has so maybe they put something really odd in in unit in 2016? Whatever it is. it approaching 7 years old; so wanting to get a new replacement sounds perfectly fine as I was wanting to change mine out when it was only 1 year old. But I learned it does all of the things as the new ones; so there was no need was my point.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thank you very much! That's a sweet setup dkoldman! Just one question and I may be sold. Can you transfer and control your phone GPS from the radio screen? I like using Google maps since their always keeping updated.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:57 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thank you very much! That's a sweet setup dkoldman! Just one question and I may be sold. Can you transfer and control your phone GPS from the radio screen? I like using Google maps since their always keeping updated.

I could if I used the USB board but I don't. I don't need to. My phone connects to the Pioneer with Bluetooth. I have my phone to the right of steering wheel and it not only displays Waze, but it plays my music or whatever I stream directly from phone. I think of it as a more integrated Android Auto. Either way your phone is required.

I will see if I have a picture around with how my phone is mounted. I dumped the mount in previous picture as it was too bouncy and phone would slip. My new mount is firm and grip is so hard I struggle to get the phone off

One other bonus, with my current setup not using USB, I can have my rear camera on display fulltime or Pioneer in bluetooth mode so it shows me the music I am listening to. The Waze audio come through the Pioneer sound system and it is loud and clear.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:08 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Update:

I found a more current picture of remote and actual phone setup. Imagine the full screen of Waze being displayed 24/7 on my phone as that is what I have. All audio comes through the Pioneer and Alpine speakers. I can take calls and some how while Waze is still talking, the people I am talking to on the phone cannot hear Waze. I have never figured how / why it does that but I love it !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220129_160201.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	183806  
Old 08-14-2022, 11:42 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

That is sweet! Please provide info on the steering wheel control and the phone mount. I will probably follow in your footsteps. Thanks again for your help and advice!!
Old 08-14-2022, 12:41 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
That is sweet! Please provide info on the steering wheel control and the phone mount. I will probably follow in your footsteps. Thanks again for your help and advice!!

The Steering Wheel control requires two orders. I spent a lot of time researching this so if you go this route it will save you a lot of time. There are other ways to achieve the same thing but this is what I did. In total I spent about $170 and I had installed by Tech at Car Toys. I was so happy I had to sneak to give him a $20 tip as it was against Car Toys policy. I can go in mine now and reprogram if required, but it is best to allow the initial install by Pro. Set aside $100 for that labor.

1. Steering Remote
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...WDN5GR9Q&psc=1

2. PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface SWI-RC-1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...RHCD8QJN3&th=1

The prices for both have increased substantially since I bought but both are work. The Company that makes the Steering Remote is China with very little help or info. Product is good and solid I have had no issues.

The Company (PAC) that make the Interface is 5 Star. They actually answer and return phone calls (same day). For real. But you will have little need. I called them to confirm the Programming to the Pioneer. I had RV in shop and they had drained the batteries for more than a week or so. I was able to reprogram it myself, kind of tricky but simple once I got it figured it out.

This was my #1 Pet Peeve because all my cars have Steering Wheel controls, and RV has the further reach, and the greatest danger. The system works 100%; 100% of the time.

Don't forget, that Steering Remote can slide off the steering wheel and you move about the coach and it still works. It is NOT direct sight. I don't do that much but it is just cool that I can.

On the Phone Mount
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ELPHY5M7&psc=1

Put the metal plate behind your phone and this thing fixes phone mounting issues once and for all. I will guarantee it. I have tossed everything else I was trying. I even removed my phone cover because it was actually interfering with the magnetic. What I don't know is the impact on wireless charging? I don't wireless charge so I don't know if the magnet disrupts that.

Tags
ace, dash, radio, replace, replacement