Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-28-2020, 08:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Sattelite Wiring

I upgraded my TV to a new flat screen and use my Directv recvr in the field. My recvr only has HDMI output the tv....The rv is only wired with coax to the rear tv.....Does anyone have any ideas how to split HDMI to get a coax output to use the existing wiring?
Segers2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
you wrote that your flat acreen tv is new...brand new or used and new to you? if brand new there should be at least one HDMI port. otherwise look for an HDMI-to-coaxial adapter.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

If you are not concerned about watching different channels, this Action Tech HDMI Transmitter is one I used here in the house for a few years before I put receivers in each room. Worked great.

I recently gave it to my son who installed a large flat screen on his patio. It works great there also. If you do want to watch different channels then this is not for you.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
you wrote that your flat acreen tv is new...brand new or used and new to you? if brand new there should be at least one HDMI port. otherwise look for an HDMI-to-coaxial adapter.
Its all brand new...I DO need a hdmi to coax adapter...that would solve the problem. The question is has anyone done this and what brands/models did they use?
Thank you for your response.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I may be missing the point or you have different Dish equipment. Are you using a Dish Walley? I use it and have coax from it to TV???
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

You are missing the point. He is using Direct TV, not Dish.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
You are missing the point. He is using Direct TV, not Dish.
Right! Careless reading !
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segers2552 View Post
I upgraded my TV to a new flat screen and use my Directv recvr in the field. My recvr only has HDMI output the tv....The rv is only wired with coax to the rear tv.....Does anyone have any ideas how to split HDMI to get a coax output to use the existing wiring?
I just did this in my RV. I ran a 50 ft hdmi cable from my Wally receiver to my bedroom through my ac duct. Drilled a small enough hole through the side of my duct through the vent holes for the cable to pass through and dropped it out behind my tv. Foam sealed around the cable holes I drilled in duct. Works perfect and can’t tell it’s there.
Chuck1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 08:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Did you use a HDMI splitter? I only have one HDMI output
Old 12-29-2020, 09:43 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Did you use a HDMI splitter? I only have one HDMI output
Segers, the Action Tech wireless link I gave you doesn't need a splitter. Signal into the TV, HDMI from satellite to HDMI In on the Action Tech, HDMI out from the Action Tech to the TV. Plug in the receiver in the other room and run HDMI from receiver to TV.

Simplified:
DirecTV HDMI to Transmitter in
Transmitter out to TV HDMI
Receiver HDMI in bedroom to TV.

Again, only one channel on both TV's. Also you can hook up the IR on the receiver and control the Satellite box with the remote.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:35 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2019 VISTA 32YE. I used the existing coax to the TVs. My solution is very involved, so I will give simple description on using existing to main TV. There should be a coax from your either roof or portable satellite. Connect this coax directly to Main TV coax. Most video switches do not work with satellite receivers. You will have to remove the coax from the Main TV cable input to connect to satellite receiver directly. Then just connect your HDMI cable from satellite receiver to Main TV. You will have to select correct HDMI input on TV for satellite receiver to connect to TV. My system is a DISH Hopper 3 with 2 Joeys which allows all 3 TVs to have DISH satellite service. I had to use several 90 Ohm A/B switches to allow use of existing coax and still have ability to use cable/TV antenna systems. This system is much more complex. Method above will give you full High Def satellite TV at main TV with easy install.

Scott and Ann Montgomery
2019 Winnebago VISTA 32YE and 2017 Jeep Sahara
TheBigBed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:16 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I'm cheap. Lots of the devices out there to get HDMI to the rear TV cost a lot of money.

My receiver has both an HDMI out, and a set of RCA jacks. Picked up a cheap RF converter (~$10), plugged it into the RCA outputs and to the coax to the rear TV. HDMI to the front TV.

The RF converter only does low def, but that's all my roof dish does anyway (right now).

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 05:28 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Appreciate the input
Old 01-03-2021, 06:14 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I don't believe there is a coax to hdmi or vice-versa available at a reasonable price. I had the same issue with my dish receiver located a distance away from my flat screen which only had hdmi input. I solved the problem for $100 by purchasing a Actiontec MWTV2KIT01 MyWirelessTV2 Video Transmitter and Receiver - Black from eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/p/20030652130?iid=392914086357
Connect small box to dish receiver hdmi out. Connect small box to TV hdmi input. Done. It transmits the hdmi signal via wifi a considerable distance and I get a perfect HD 1080P picture. And because the dish remote is radio and not infra red, I don't need line of sight to the reciever to change the channel.
limandlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:38 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
HDMI is a registered communication format that is licensed by the company that developed it and a manufacturer pays a fee to use it in its tv that is then sold to you. It is a digital encoded signal. Digital Cable is a different format and the two are not compatible. Your choice is to manage the output of your direct tv processor is to sped about $400 to convert the data using a box like VECOAX makes to do the conversion. That will convert the digital signal to analog ( a poor quality signal) for you to watch on multiple TVs.
Medobson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:45 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I had not known that you could go up to 50 ft with HDMI. I did a quick read on the topic.
For resolutions near 4K, it's recommended to use an HDMI cable that is no longer than 10 feet. After that, the signal starts to degrade. For lower resolutions, the reliable distance is from 25 to 50 feet. The quality of the cable is a factor here.
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:52 PM   #17
Bill 37F

I found this this might work if you have an available HDMI input on your new TV.
https://www.amazon.com/Extender-Tran...DYJMN8NA2GY759

I think you can use a splitter on your receiver so you'll have two HDMI outputs
Old 01-05-2021, 10:03 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I tried a product very similar to that extender. It didn't work at all. Got a picture for a few seconds, then nothing. Probably something to do with syncing hdmi / coax to tv. Tried different things, but ultimately gave up on the hdmi/coax solution. The MyWirelessTV2 wifi solution worked perfectly.
limandlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring