Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Satellite remote infrared mystery

I have a question that I think stumped winnebago as well, I have a 2010 Journey 40L new. First called my Dealer, then call Winnebago and as how to use the remote infrared connector thats to be connected over the front of the satellite receiver to control the satellite receiver with one of the coaches remotes..
The wire/ transmitter is located in the satellite cabinet over the drivers area, and has velcro on it to be place in front of the receivers remote infrared sensor. Its a on a wire that goes to ????? .
Does anybody else have this setup, and if yes what device / or remote are you using on the coach to control it.
I've called Winnebago twice on this, each time, telling me they need to talk to the department (electrical ) to get feedback on what and how it works.

No return calls going on 5 weeks. Ive look in my documentation as well, an read my schematics etc ..

Thanks for your help in advance!
tonyg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The termination is near the bedroom TV. It looks like half a small round marble.

I use mine to control my second satellite receiver and the DVD player in the front entertainment cabinet.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
The termination is near the bedroom TV. It looks like half a small round marble.

I use mine to control my second satellite receiver and the DVD player in the front entertainment cabinet.

-Tom
And it's not electrical - It's a fiber optic cable that "carries" the light to the IR receivers on the front of the Sat Receiver.

PHESPE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

negative... It's a simple IR repeater. There's a photocell in the bedroom, and an emitter up front. In the Meridian the J-Box is under the dash and will support 3 emitters IIRC (it's been awhile).

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I do not have my coach in front of me but my Itasca is not set up that way. It is fiber optic line (IR) and there is one box for the bedroom and one for the front TV (40CD). Each is independent as they have sat lines for different receivers. Yours may be different but mine are independent on the Itasca Ellipse coach
maclonchas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclonchas
I do not have my coach in front of me but my Itasca is not set up that way. It is fiber optic line (IR) and there is one box for the bedroom and one for the front TV (40CD). Each is independent as they have sat lines for different receivers. Yours may be different but mine are independent on the Itasca Ellipse coach
How can you tell it's fiber?

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 12-18-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Well I found the "Marbeled" eye , its located in the living area not the bedroom. THe bedroom on this model has a provision for a second sat receiver in the bedroom. Its interesting the Front TV, Living Area TV and Outside built in TV all have access to the front Sat Receiver. Its a pain when your outside you've got to run inside to change channels.
Im not sure if its fiber, I have a rreally bright LED that Im going to shine in one end to see if in fact its Fiber, but the only marbel found is on that one TV mentioned above, its located in the cabinet just above the edge of the TV ... I let you know what I find with the light...
tonyg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
How can you tell it's fiber?

Well because - for one thing - there is no electrical connection to it anywhere.

PHESPE

By the Way - Dish Used to sell a IR to UHF converter kit for use such as mentioned above (outside TV - needing to g inside to change channels).

DISH NETWORK IR-TO-UHV PRO UPGRADE KIT.
FG PART NUMBER 129284

IT CONTAINS THE REMOTE CONTROL, A RECEIVER AND IR EXTENDER W/CLIP AND 120/12v TRANSFORMER /POWER SUPPLY
It may still be available for DISH I got mine off eBAY

PHESPE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

All it is is a small black box ~1x2x2" and can be buried anywhere. These IR repeaters are found all over the place in entertainment systems where equipment is in cabinets. HERE is one. Remove the power supply and that's what came from the factory on mine..

Personally I have never seen a passive fiber repeater in this kind of service. Expecting to see a remote control of indeterminate power illuminate a fiber from 6-10' away, then deliver it back out 1-3" at the equipment would be incredibly inefficient.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 12-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
All it is is a small black box ~1x2x2" and can be buried anywhere. These IR repeaters are found all over the place in entertainment systems where equipment is in cabinets. HERE is one. Remove the power supply and that's what came from the factory on mine..

Personally I have never seen a passive fiber repeater in this kind of service. Expecting to see a remote control of indeterminate power illuminate a fiber from 6-10' away, then deliver it back out 1-3" at the equipment would be incredibly inefficient.
Same system I have. The repeater is mounted above the tv the receiver is in the cabinets behind me. When I first tried to use it would not work, come to find out the power supple wasn't plugged in.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:04 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Find the company name on either the remote receiver or the IR-Blaster (The device that goes on the Sat Receiver) and download the manual.. I Have used a couple of different brands of these...

The IR blaster can be set in front of the receiver, or in some cases simply on top or taped to the bottom, This is a very small unit by the way (I will see if I can link to one) I even built one myself. The Remote Receiver is a much larger box.

If you have a Radio Receiver and a Radio remote... Then there should be an IR blaster with the radio receiver.

(or if the unit is wireless) The link is an example of what the part that attaches to the receiver looks like.

Amazon.com: 7 ft. Ir Blaster Cable: Electronics

It should plug into a headphone jack on your Radio Remote Receiver.

Plus if you google: I/R Blaster

You can find links to many remote extender products (or you could Google: Remote Extender)

If you have a problem identifying the make/model you have.

Tags
satellite