Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2006, 04:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

For John Canfield and you other technology guru's:

On our recent trip we missed some of our favorite daytime radio programs. We discussed getting XM radio for the coach. However, I spend more time in my car than the coach (at least for now).

I am sure there is a portable satellite radio I can get that can be moved from vehicle to vehicle and even used at my office. So, looking for recommendations. Also, would I need to have an antenna on both the car/s and the coach even for a portable?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 04:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

For John Canfield and you other technology guru's:

On our recent trip we missed some of our favorite daytime radio programs. We discussed getting XM radio for the coach. However, I spend more time in my car than the coach (at least for now).

I am sure there is a portable satellite radio I can get that can be moved from vehicle to vehicle and even used at my office. So, looking for recommendations. Also, would I need to have an antenna on both the car/s and the coach even for a portable?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Virtually all of the satellite radios are portable Car to car and car to home or office. I would get an XM and mount the original in the car, utilizing the small magnetic antenna. I would then have another vehicle kit installed in the motorhome with the FM modulator kit. I would install the Terk XM5 marine antenna on the motorhome. This is what I have done. The satellite radio snaps in and out easily and can be moved from motorhome to your towed vehicle and back. You could also try and mount the small magnetic antenna in the overhead cabinet, I did this and it worked fine until I was driving predominately north and it would cut out for long periods. Turned out to be the shadow of the roof air conditioners. If you don't have anything on the roof it should work fine. The Terk5 marine doesn't require a ground plane. The metal shelf in the upper cabinet serves as ground plane if the magnetic antenna is mounted on it. I haven't proven it yet, but many say a ground plane isn't necessary. We use the XM radio a lot instead of the satellite tv, a lot of the same programming and all the music you could ever want. We especially like the Old Time Radio and other books on tape type programs.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 07:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

My cousin run his XM antenna to the metal strip that goes around the inside of the Slide (where it meets the side wall when extended).

I have mine (XM anetnna) attached to the spring base of the radio antenna, wire runs out the drivers door, (That also doubles as a CB antenna , I think). Then when I am at home (I have a home kit) I just unplug the radio from the RV and plug it in in the house at home.

My 2006 Saturn VUE Tow car, has XM Radio along with "On Star", so no need for aditional antenna in the Vue.

Bruce
Old 10-29-2006, 09:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I use the Sirius Starmate FM Converter unit which plugs into 12 volt in the car,home and MH. I have an exterior antenna for the motor home mounted above the driver door for a permanent type of mount. Also another antenna to carry between the car and home. For home use I tie into a 12 volt power supply in the garage and then set the house FM receiver to the FM station. The Starmate will work, I have found, about 50 feet from the unit.
I was not happy with the reception when the antenna was placed on the motorhome dash especially when driving north.
Use a 4 outlet 12 volt adapter in the motor home for cell phone charger, etc.
This set up has worked very nicely for me, no radio fade on the road, and is really not a hard thing to move around.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

We have a Delphi Roady (XM) that we move from the coach to the Jeep, to the entertainment bay. When I wanted an extra antenna, it was actually a little cheaper to buy a complete Roady (they were being closed out) and use the parts from it.

I found that an antenna inside the coach on the dash or installed under the front cap in an overhead cabinet worked well in most of the central/southern part of the 48. The farther north we got the more signal dropouts we had. Finally mounted the antenna on top of the front cap.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 04:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

John:

Looks like Roady comes with casette adaptor which I could use in motorhome. However, both my toad and other car have CD only. Is there a way to interface the XM gizmo to car stereo without casette slot?

Thanks.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Gary - the easy way is to use the built-in FM modulator and find a clear channel on the radio. This works fine if you are in one particular area - if you travel (duh - that's what we do!) that becomes a real hassle because you need to keep changing frequencies to find a clear one in cities.

The easy way for the Jeep was to unscrew the external antenna (we never listen to the radio anyway) and then we never have an interference problem.

The best way is to buy an in-line FM modulator. The gizmo is inserted between the car antenna and radio and the Sat radio plugs into the gizmo.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:04 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Do not have XM. But use Sirius. I just out magnetic antenna up on metal overhead by front TV. Works very well right through the roof.

I have a home kit that I put the antenna on inside window ledge and hook Sirius rec. up to tape player on old boom box.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote