Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-11-2006, 06:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I recently bought a used KVH S2 dome satellite antenna, which I plan on installing on my '99 Minnie Winnie. For any of you that have installed a dish on your Class C Winnebagos, where did you bring the coax and control cable into the coach? My unit says "satellite ready" on the sales brochure, but there is no "drill here" sticker on roof. In addition, even if there was a "drill here" sticker, it would only contain a coax cable. Most older dome units require a control cable as well, so this would be little help.

I've spoken with 2 different installers and both said they would bring the two cables to the front of the vehicle and drill through the roof (requires a 3/4 hole) over the top of the TV compartment. (My model has the TV in the front center.) This area is in the front/slanted part of cab overhang. Although you probably couldn't see the wires easily, due to the slant on the roof, water would run down the roof and hit the cable cover from the rear. It would appear to me this would leak easier than if it were on the flat part of the roof. So, I'd love to hear from anyone that has installed (or had one installed) a satellite unit on their class C's roof.

Thanks for any replies.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I recently bought a used KVH S2 dome satellite antenna, which I plan on installing on my '99 Minnie Winnie. For any of you that have installed a dish on your Class C Winnebagos, where did you bring the coax and control cable into the coach? My unit says "satellite ready" on the sales brochure, but there is no "drill here" sticker on roof. In addition, even if there was a "drill here" sticker, it would only contain a coax cable. Most older dome units require a control cable as well, so this would be little help.

I've spoken with 2 different installers and both said they would bring the two cables to the front of the vehicle and drill through the roof (requires a 3/4 hole) over the top of the TV compartment. (My model has the TV in the front center.) This area is in the front/slanted part of cab overhang. Although you probably couldn't see the wires easily, due to the slant on the roof, water would run down the roof and hit the cable cover from the rear. It would appear to me this would leak easier than if it were on the flat part of the roof. So, I'd love to hear from anyone that has installed (or had one installed) a satellite unit on their class C's roof.

Thanks for any replies.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I installed ours on our Adventurer. I did not use the supplied wiring since I mounted it midship.

I used the AC ducts as a convenient chase. Worked out very well. Not sure if you '99 Minnie has ducted air, but if it does, they may be able to be used.

I posted a couple pictures here at IRV2.com:
Tim's Kvh L2 install

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Tim. Yes, it has ducted air. I looked at your photos. How did you bring the drop down to where your TV is? My a/c does not run all the way to the front (inside the TV cabinet area).

Thanks
Old 12-11-2006, 07:09 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Contact Winnebago Customer Service and request the ceiling schematics for your unit. I did this and found that the sticker on my unit did not correspond to the location where the hole should be drilled - saving me much grief.

The wiring on mine was neatly coiled up just where the schematic showed it should be. Once the hole was drilled installation was a simple job.

A classic case of measuring twice, drilling once!

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

My duct ran within about 14" of my front cabinets. I had to create a hole to finish the run. The front edge of the foam was explosed in the front cap area. I just pushed through a rod if I'm remembering right, wasn't too hard. I knew there were no obstructions because the factory channel in the middle ran back about the same distance.

But I'll second talking to Winnie, they have sent me drawings for other projects, that'd be the best way to be sure you know what's in the roof where.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I installed a KVH Dome on my voyage 33V. It already had a manual dish so some wires were up there. I used the existing wires as a "pull string" by taping the new wires to the old and pulling them through. In your case, I would call Winnebago and get a wiring diagram. If you are Sat ready there will be wires up there some place and you could probably use it to pull through. Good luck.
Jonny
jonny33v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:29 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Darryl,
I can't help you with the hole but I can help with the wiring. Once the hole is cut and the existing wire is found, pull the coil of coax out onto the roof. That wire more than likely goes directly to the front of your RV near the TV. Have someone tug on the wire on the roof and see which one moves behind the TV. Now, tie 2 pieces of coax to the 1 piece of coax on the roof and go behind the TV and pull the whole thing through. It would help to have 2 people do this. It may not hurt to include a piece of string with the 2 coax's. That way, you have a pull string for future use if needed.