Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2008, 06:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Hi All,
My 2001 Itasca Sunrise 30' has a decal on the roof that says to "drill here to locate a cable for mounting a satelite dome". Kinda nervous about this and wonder if the cable will really be there..! Anybody ever drilled and found the cable..?? And how did you fasten the dome to the roof??
Thanks
leemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Hi All,
My 2001 Itasca Sunrise 30' has a decal on the roof that says to "drill here to locate a cable for mounting a satelite dome". Kinda nervous about this and wonder if the cable will really be there..! Anybody ever drilled and found the cable..?? And how did you fasten the dome to the roof??
Thanks
Old 10-03-2008, 08:04 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Any way to get to the inside of the 'label area' from inside the coach?

We had an in motion dish installed on our 2003 Suncruiser and cable hole was towards the front of the roof. In my case, I think you could get to it by unscrewing some of the front cabinets and decorative covers.

I may be safer that way in order to make sure the wire is there before you start cutting.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Can't help you out on what pre-wiring consists of, bit a call to Winnie customer service should clear up the mystery.

Our King Dome has flat mounting tabs (ears?) that are fastened on the roof and the tabs have a vertical stud the dome bolts to. I suspect Winnie used sheet metal screws (or similar), but the fasteners are under Dicor so details escape me.

I mounted our Motosat on the roof with #12 stainless sheet metal screws and Dicor. Drill the holes, put a good dab of Dicor on each hole, position mounting plate (or whatever) over the hole(s), fasten the screws, then put another dab of Dicor on the screw heads.

The Dicor acts like a pretty good adhesive in addition to it being a good sealer. I think the screws are actually of secondary importance if there is a decent-size contact area for the Dicor.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

There are some things I just don't DIY. This falls into that category.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I recently added a dish. I had a ceiling speaker that when removed, gave a preview of the pre-installed cables. My Meridian had a 12v. source and one Rg-6 cable. It is possible to fish additional wiring forward to an area above the TV. It is kind of scary, cutting into the roof, but my decal was right on the spot.
Good luck.

Dave
Shuffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Many thanks Shuffster, I knew somebody had to have done it before! That gives me confidence that my cable will be there also. I will start looking above the tv to confirm. BTW did you do your own dish install? I would be interested in knowing which dish you went with and any details about fastening it down and routing the wire harness
Thanks for your response
Old 10-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Leemac- I installed the crank-up Winegard dish, with digital elevation read out. I choose to mount the digital readout in the compartment to the right of the TV with the Directv box. (I didn't want to cut it into the ceiling)

I have had this type of dish on my previous motorhome and find it a snap to use. Seldom takes more than a couple of minutes to aim.

I mounted the dish as John stated: SS screws and lots of Dicor.

Dave
Shuffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I didn't do the actual install on our Tour, but when we added a Kingdome, we (the installer and a very interested ME) found the cables right under the decal. The install was pretty simple from there.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote