Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2015, 05:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Samsung Died

My Samsung tossed in the towel. Over the past several days it kept shutting down and restarting, now it finally won't turn on. It is a UN46F5000 and I am having a hard time finding a replacement, economically. Has anyone else with a had to replace this model. Given teh specific mounting it looks like it needs to be really close in size to teh original Samsung.

Samsung no longer make a 46" TV
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:03 AM   #2
aa1ssradio

Is it still in warranty???
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We had our 1+ year old Samsung die in the coach also. No luck getting Samsung to fix it. Same problem as you had. Then our 14 month Samsung in the house quit working same way! I told the salesman at Best buy and he said "we see a lot of this type problem". I bought another brand replacement.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:27 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

No warranty, 2013 model and out of Winnebago warranty too.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

LG and Sharp make a 47" unless the spot is very tight either of these should be very close to the size of your Samsung 46" and can be around $500-$600. Both are quality LED HDTV slim line tvs
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Those Samsung HDTV Flat screen CCFL LCD TV's are easy and cheap top repair - typical; repair cost is less than $75.00 - Please do not toss them in the trash
Old 10-17-2015, 08:55 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJINTF View Post
Those Samsung HDTV Flat screen CCFL LCD TV's are easy and cheap top repair - typical; repair cost is less than $75.00 - Please do not toss them in the trash

Very true. Most of the tie is is the power supply and that can be repaired with $10 worth of parts. Take your symptoms and google them. Should find a uTube on what and how to repair.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:32 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBoater View Post
My Samsung tossed in the towel. Over the past several days it kept shutting down and restarting, now it finally won't turn on. It is a UN46F5000 and I am having a hard time finding a replacement, economically. Has anyone else with a had to replace this model. Given teh specific mounting it looks like it needs to be really close in size to teh original Samsung.

Samsung had a recall on the on - off switch a couple years ago. Mine did the same thing. Was a bear to get it fixed.
dotrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 02:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

Your TV's problem sounds similar to what I experienced a couple of years ago. If you have basic electronics desoldering and soldering skills, you might be able to fix the issue yourself very inexpensively. Check out this post: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/samsu...ml#post2614288
By the way, my TV is still going strong today, and has not needed any further repairs.
In my personal opinion, Samsung TVs have the best picture quality of all the brands. Compare many TVs side by side and you will probably see that the black, dark areas of the picture look the best on the Samsung TVs.
BlueMoose105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for heads up on repair. Not much of an electronics soiderer, but found power supply board so bunch of screws and should be good to go.

FYI, no one seems to know the mounting spacing, both Samsubg and Bestbuy said the replacement I bought was a Vesa 400x400. NOT, guess it's going back after repair.

Go Patriots !
Old 10-18-2015, 10:42 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

The most common problem that LCD sets have is the electrolytic capacitors go bad. It's a 25 cent part and there are several in the power supply. If you take the set apart, you can tell the bad caps by their appearance. They'll be swollen and bulging. It's actually a pretty easy fix to unsolder them and replace them with new ones.
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

We have nothing but Samsungs in the house and all the TV's in the '02 DSDP had been changed to them also. The Magna came with three Aquios (sp?) TV's but the front one has been changed to a Samsung. Trying to find out it's model now as I don't have a manual for it.
Have found the Samsungs to be good quality and great pictures, have never had one fail even after I dropped one out the door of the Dutch Star. It did scratch the screen deeply but it still works fine. Still using it in my den some three years later.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:49 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Check the Samsung website. I had a problem with mine and it was out of warranty but was repaired under the recall. Took to a local shop who Samsung recommended and it was repaired in one day at no cost.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:31 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Yeah, call Samsung, no go, 2013 model even though I purchased in Sept 2014. Would not offer anything. On the road with no solder tool, the board was only $30 and will be here in a few days. Have 14 days to return the one I purchased before researching repair, won't be home until November so just as easy to replace the board.

Really like Samsung have 5 between house and coach. Like having same TV's in coach so DISH remote works everywhere when set to Samsung. If I get another make, will loose that ability.

Should be fixed tomorrow night.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:14 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

btw, here's how to fix it; Repair your electronics by replacing blown capacitors - All
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:04 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Yeah, call Samsung, no go, 2013 model even though I purchased in Sept 2014. Would not offer anything. On the road with no solder tool, the board was only $30 and will be here in a few days. Have 14 days to return the one I purchased before researching repair, won't be home until November so just as easy to replace the board.

Really like Samsung have 5 between house and coach. Like having same TV's in coach so DISH remote works everywhere when set to Samsung. If I get another make, will loose that ability.

Should be fixed tomorrow night.
Where did you find the board?
Old 10-19-2015, 07:29 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Just a hint, if taking a flat screen back for warranty repair DON'T tell them it is a motor home! We had an Emerson flat screen that died after 8 months. Still on manufacturers warranty. They tried to deny the warranty because they said they didn't warranty electronics installed in motor homes or boats because of the bouncing! They DID end replacing the TV, but I had to get . . . well, let's just say "firm" with them!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:11 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Where did you find the board?
tvpartsinstock.com $30.00 plus freight.

Board arrived today, 10 minutes and 20 screws, replaced old board. Almost as easy as changing a light bulb.

Turned on like nothing happened

Back to BestBuy with the replacement.

Not sure what was wrong with the original board, there were no swollen capacitors or burnt spots on the board. Shockingly little to the TV, 2 boards and a switch.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:18 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

XBoater

The power supply board contains an "Always On 5Vdc" supply that connects to the main board where the on/off button or remote activates a "Power on signal" which in turn comes back to the power supply board and turns on the other supplies. A closed loop setup - before replacing any parts it is best to determine where the failure has occurred.

A defective capacitor many times does bulge and can easily be seen as defective however this is not always true - the ONLY way to properly test the capacitors is with a ESR meter

Please do not toss the broken TV in the trash
Old 10-22-2015, 02:54 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJINTF View Post
XBoater

The power supply board contains an "Always On 5Vdc" supply that connects to the main board where the on/off button or remote activates a "Power on signal" which in turn comes back to the power supply board and turns on the other supplies. A closed loop setup - before replacing any parts it is best to determine where the failure has occurred.

A defective capacitor many times does bulge and can easily be seen as defective however this is not always true - the ONLY way to properly test the capacitors is with a ESR meter

Please do not toss the broken TV in the trash
Oh boy, another tool to buy! ESR meter

Why not "Please do not toss the broken TV in the trash"??