Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2018, 02:26 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

If cost is a factor the most cost effective 7" screen RV GPS is the Rand McNally® RVND™ 7 GPS which can be had for $ 190 and free shipping at Campingworld.com if you are Good Sam Club Member. It has height and weight based routing rules so it won't route you into a mess where you encounter a low clearance or low weight limited bridge like some phone or tablet based apps that assume you are in a car or pickup truck will. It still has a huge database of travel centers, campgrounds, attractions that I find very handy at times. It has quick routing to travel centers and Walmarts and it's Walmart data base indicates if overnight was allowed when the the record in their database was last updated. It's pretty accurate but not perfect.

This is almost identical to the old "Good Sam" GPS that Rand McNally made for Camping World that has been discontinued. It lacks the real time weather, fuel prices, and traffic features that the old one had if you connected it to internet. Not a problem for me as I do all them things on my iPhone.

I have used both it and the Garmin RV GPS and they both work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-n-Sue View Post
Whichever one you wind up with, get to know it's idiosyncrasies! Our Rand McNally 7715 has an option for "allow freeways", "Prefer freeways" or avoid freeways. The "allow freeways" put us on a narrow two lane bridge over the Mississippi, because it saved a couple of miles. Should have checked "prefer freeways"
Learn the options on yours, and now we always preview the route on a paper map the night before.
Lesson learned the hard way.
Rand McNally and its prefer freeways routing option has its idiosyncrasies, too.

Prefer freeways once wanted to route me 150 miles out the way so it could follow freeways instead of good 2 lane highways. I always tell the Rand McNally to use the option that calculates 2 routes and shows me both of them on the screen so I can deal with it doing stupid things every once and a while. Can usually change to a multi-stop trip with a waypoint and make it behave!
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:44 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

I'm on a roadtrip right now using the Rand McNally RVND 7. As said above, no GPS is perfect, but I love this particular unit for its easy programming and multitude of functions for safety, efficiency, and convenience.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:03 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CambriaRista View Post
I was going to post a similar question - considering a GPS for the motor home. But before spending bigger $$ think I’ll try the CoPilot app. I downloaded the free version to get a feel - paired with an iPad this might do. Only thing so far is that it seems to need a street address; setting a destination as “Traverse City State Park” (like one can in the resident iPhone app) doesn’t work.”, so trip planning will take more time.
Unless things have changed with CoPilot, I would not trust it. I was in a remote location in CA a few years back. In my early days of RVing (2005++) I bought CoPilot Live for my laptop. Boy, did it take me on some wiled rides. Thought I would try it again when in CA. Did the download, paid the fee and programed it to my next location. I could not get the thing to stop trying to plot a route through the cow pasture next to me and onto a road not fit for more than a car. ALK gave me a refund and I dumped the program.
I still use Microsoft Streets & Trips. It is available from Microsoft download center the last time I looked. I don't know if you can still get a license for it.
The Garman nuvi we have for the car is a good backup when traveling. I don't know how much trouble we would get into if it were our main GPS.

Using WiFi and cell service GPS apps is a risk. There are areas a RV with any height can not go.
I do wish I had the freedom to plot routes, as I do with S&T, on one of these new apps. No such luck that I can find. The ones that seem to have this capability need to be tethered to the internet in order to function.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:54 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

When flying in small planes, I use a small GPS that is connectable via Bluetooth to my tablet. The little device is amazing and we dual purpose it in our RV using CoPilot. It's aviation certified and very reasonably priced. The battery life is amazing. Just sharing.

XGPS150 for Navigation apps | Dual Electronics
Old 08-30-2018, 07:37 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
We were in remote areas this past weekend without cell service and I was happy to have my Garmin. I do wish I had purchased the model with WiFi built in, but it isn’t terrible having to plug into the laptop every few months.
What is the purpose/need for wifi on the Garmin
Old 08-30-2018, 09:30 AM   #26
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolas View Post
What is the purpose/need for wifi on the Garmin
I think it allows the GPS to get updates without being attached to a computer.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:30 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by davismills View Post
When flying in small planes, I use a small GPS that is connectable via Bluetooth to my tablet. The little device is amazing and we dual purpose it in our RV using CoPilot. It's aviation certified and very reasonably priced. The battery life is amazing. Just sharing.

XGPS150 for Navigation apps | Dual Electronics

I'm still using Microsoft OS. This device is for Apple and Android only. Other than that, it is a great product. Many cell phone don't have functioning GPS's and rely upon cell or wifi signals for navigation. Bad idea for RVers. Good way to get lost.
I still think Streets and Trips was the best friend a RVer could have for navigation. I hope I can find an adequate replacement some day.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:10 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

I have this one too and it works great.
ajkishgolf12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:19 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

My Rand McNally RV in my View is very slow and looses signal easily
PJTroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:33 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJTroyer View Post
My Rand McNally RV in my View is very slow and looses signal easily
is that the built-in version, part of the Xcite infotainment system? if so outs was really acting up...missing turns, locking up, spontaneous reboots, etc. if that sounds like what you're experiencng you please know that an update to the operating system has been released. update your SD card using the RM Dock software and your issues should disappear. i did and my gps is now functioning correctly.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:45 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

How or where is RM Dock software accesses and where is SIM card or how do I update it?

Is there something like a video or is there a www site?
Old 11-14-2018, 05:48 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

first, is your gps as i described...built in and part of the infotainment system (radio/cd player/cameras)?

Old 11-14-2018, 05:48 PM   #33
Winnebago Master

The only complaint I had about my RM Overdryve GPS was the curve warning function. It very often seemed to be a curve ahead or behind the actual direction of the upcoming turn. On the Alaska Highway it became so distracting that I turned the function off. All other functions worked as advertised or better.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:53 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
first, is your gps as i described...built in and part of the infotainment system (radio/cd player/cameras)?
yes
Old 11-14-2018, 05:54 PM   #35
Winnebago Master

the RM Dock software is available online for downloading (free). on the upper right side of the infotainment center you should see two ports with rubber covers. if like ours the top one holds the SD card. with the unit OFF gently push on the card and it should pop out.

download and install the Dock software on your PC. i assume there is a MAC version. you'll need an SD card reader either built in to your PC or one that attaches to your pc via USB. insert the card and run the Dock software. then just follow the prompts.

if your GPS s a stand-alone unit i'd call RM and find out how you can update.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:55 PM   #36
Winnebago Owner

And now I think I am on tract to download. so I do not want to waste your time as I will probably figure it out soon online with my MAC
Old 11-14-2018, 05:55 PM   #37
Winnebago Master

https://www.randmcnally.com/support/s/dock-software

Old 11-14-2018, 05:57 PM   #38
Winnebago Master

you're not wasting my time..happy to help. when you get the software running you should see updates to bith the card and geo database.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:15 PM   #39
2017 42QD Tour

Tour 42QD GPS needs up grade

Has anyone up-graded the built-in GPS in a 2017 Tour 42QD and where is the chip hidden. I found nothing anywhere to locate or get to a chip to up-grade it.
Ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:06 PM   #40
Winnebago Master

if that's the Xcite Infotainment Center (GPS/Sat Radio/Am/FM/CD) you update the software and database thru the SD Card. in my unit the SD card is in a slot behind a soft cover at the upper right corner next to the screen. open the cover, gently push on the card and it will pop out. you'll need the Rand McNally RV Dock software (free for windows and prob apple) and an SD card reader on your PC. if you have a different unit, well, then as Emily Litella was fond of saying...Never Mind.

Tags
gps