Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Report on our first trip in the Outlook

We finally made it out of town for our first camping trip in the 2009 Outlook. It went pretty well, but we did have a few problems. We have no idea what we're doing and feel so dumb

First of all, I tried to start the generator when my husband first brought the RV home from storage - no way. Just turned over. Couldn't get it to start.

Then, the Low Coach battery light stayed on the whole trip up to the campground (about 5 hours of driving). Not sure what's up with that.

Next, we tried to watch a movie on the flatscreen TV and we had no idea how to get that thing going either. Also, couldn't figure out how to get a CD to play in the outside entertainment unit. Got the radio portion to work, but not the CD.

Also, it appeared that even though we were hooked up to the CG water, the faucets pulled the water from the tank, as it showed almost empty by the time we left. We pulled out the manual for all these issues, but even that didn't help.

There are so many things to learn and we are feeling a bit overwhelmed right now.
Starfire5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Those are all common problem we all had to learn.
Most important is read your manual, then read it again, and keep it handy and look up anything you may have questions on. You will learn about things in it that you did not even know you had and how they operate.
1. Generator - check fuel level, RV tank must be over 1/4 tank, next check circuit breakers and then fuses. All are listed in your manual. Also watch the light as it will flash to indicate the fault, then call the MFG. They are great at assistance.
2. Low Coach Battery light. You may have low batteries, check that when plugged in the charger is operating. Also learn to start that generator it will charge the batteries. Also read up on your inverter if you have one. It changes DC to AC to run appliances when not plugged in or on Generator. When running it can deplete the charge rather quickly depending on what it is running.
3. TV. RV tv's are just a tricky as home units except you have to program them every time you move to another location. Make sure you are on the correct channel, usually 2 or 3 if running through a cable box or DVD player. And if hooked up to cable you probally have to program it through the menu to recognize the channels. Your Coach may also have switches to select TV, VCR/DVD, Satellite, or Aux.
4. Outside unit, have no Idea, it should automatically play the CD when you insert it, again read the manual.
5. You have a pump switch located in various places in the Coach. If the pump switch is on it will always draw from the tank. When hooked up to shore water make sure the pump is switched off. Also note that the switches are independent so on or off have no meaning if the other switch has been used. You can usually hear if the pump is running.

Find another RV user with a simular unit and have them go over the things they have learned, you will be amazed at the things the salesman did not tell you.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, Stogie for taking the time to address all our issues. In general, I think part of the problem is that we have a very odd model (only made 1 year) and when I look at the manual, it shows things that aren't found on our model. Also, like most manuals, it is poorly written. It assumes you know things that newbies don't really know. We are both college educated people, so it really shouldn't be so difficult.

1. The generator - the RV had plenty of gas - we never let it go below a half tank. Next time we have it home, I'll check the things you mentioned.

2. I did read up on the inverter, but I'll do it again and see if I can figure out what we did wrong.

3. The TV is just beyond complicated. We may have my daughter look at it - kids these days can figure out all the complicated electronic stuff.

4. Outside entertainment unit. The manual said to insert CD and it would automatically start playing - yeah, right! We hit every button on that thing and it still wouldn't work. Again, maybe the daughter can get it working.

5. The water pump. Yeah, maybe I left it on by mistake. Didn't know it had to be off. Ooops. Will watch that next time. Now I have to figure out how to refill the tank. Manual shows something that just does not exist on our model. Ugh!

Anyway, thanks again for your help. We'll get it all figured out eventually.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Regarding the generator - if you press and hold the stop switch for 20 to 30 seconds or so it will prime the generator and help it to start. The generator needs to be run under partial load for an hour or so each month. If yours has been sitting for months without being run there may be fuel varnish in the carburetor preventing it from starting.
Onan does not sell rebuild kits for their carbs so If a gummed up carb is your problem you will have to try to take it apart and soak in carb cleaner or replace it.

Or you might be able to get it to start and run by holding the choke closed, if so then running a hose to a container of gas with some SeaFoam added might degunk the carb. The container should be about as high as the fuel pump on the genny.

If the water pump is turned on while you are connected to campground water it will draw water from the tank if the campground water pressure is less that the pump set pressure (about 30 psi maybe?). As stated above you should be able to hear the pump run.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Good luck with your new rig. When at a campground, many offers of help will spring up if you ask.
for the problems.
1. On my Tioga, I have to plug the power cord into the generator for power. This plug is inside the storage box for the power cord.
2. Check all of your GFCI outlets,( trip them and then reset them). Depending on the wiring, your entertainment systems may be on a circuit that is tripped.
For the others, The already mentioned help should work.
Good luck OND
oldnotdead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Join the rest of us who have learned the old fashioned way, trial and error. Proves again how important a sense of adventure and sense of humor is.

You might consider joining the Winnebago Itasca Travelers (WIT) a travel club sponsored by Winnebago which will put you in touch with other owners for campouts,rallies, discounts,etc. Call Ruth at 800-643-4892 (1).

Welcome and hang in, it is downhill from here.

Don, WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Grimesy, yep, we joined WIT and had hoped to get to a local rally before Easter weekend, but it just didn't work out. I imagine that would be the place to find other people with Winnebago Class C's who could help us figure some of this stuff out.

I'm pestering my hubby to go out again soon for a weekend so we can keep working on some of these issues. Thanks everyone for the encouragement and help!
Old 04-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Sometimes a blast of starting fluid will get those pesky engines to start after a long sit.
Also make sure there is enough oil in the generator as they also have low oil shut down.

Winnebago is incredible for the online information that they have at their website. Loads of wiring diagrams, plumbing diagrams etc..... That was one of the things that came in handy so many times with my last Winnebago I lost count.
They use the same color wire with numbers on the wires to catagorize them on the rigs so if you are doing anything with wiring also you will need the callout sheet that will tell you what number goes to what. Again they are online and available for
download.
Here is the help pdf on that:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/Help.pdf
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:24 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Be sure your water tank fill lever is in the proper position for running off c/g water. If you leave it in the "fill tank" position, it will use your tank to supply your water. I am certain your manual covers this, check it again.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote