Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Replacing orginal radio

My wife gave me a new radio to replace the factory radio in our 33V Itasca Class A. We purchased it from Best uy and the installer had many problems doing the installation and indicated before we started that he would be having the trouble with our coach. There was no wiring harness that would work (he said) and he had to wire each one of the wires individually which took a long time and each speaker had to be tested before wring up. The installation took over two hours. The radio was $159 with free installation and they ended up charging us an additional $39 which I thought was cheap. The newer radios are not tall and they have a supply of different trays to mount under the radio. None of these would fit. Just letting you know that replacing yours might turn into an ordeal. I might add that the sound is like Carnegie Hall.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the heads up. Our radio has served our needs up to now but you never know.

Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I had an 01 Suncruiser and I replaced the radio myself. Sometimes installers don't have a lot of imagination and can only install if they have premade anything. I installed the radio and had it wired up in less than an hour. It was pretty easy.

I'm not so sure how easy it will be for my new Meridian. Wiring the speakers will be the easy part.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

If you can supply them with the original installation manual it makes it easier for the installer. Here is information on radio sizes, shafted, DIN and Double DIN. There are adapters to go down in size from the double DIN to DIN and ISO.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:44 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
My wife gave me a new radio to replace the factory radio in our 33V Itasca Class A. We purchased it from Best uy and the installer had many problems doing the installation and indicated before we started that he would be having the trouble with our coach. There was no wiring harness that would work (he said) and he had to wire each one of the wires individually which took a long time and each speaker had to be tested before wring up. The installation took over two hours. The radio was $159 with free installation and they ended up charging us an additional $39 which I thought was cheap. The newer radios are not tall and they have a supply of different trays to mount under the radio. None of these would fit. Just letting you know that replacing yours might turn into an ordeal. I might add that the sound is like Carnegie Hall.
My original radio had been replaced by a GPS/Radio system. I took the RV to a car stereo outfit and picked out the one I wanted. Drove away less than 2 hours later. No charge for install (included in price of radio).

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I replaced the one in my 95 Vectra and in my current 35U and it was a piece of cake. As soon as I showed them (Circuit City) the harness adapter from the original radio they recognized the color coding and had a ready made harness adapter already in stock so I was good to go on the 35U while the Vectra cost 10 dollars for them to modify the original harness adapter to match the new radio. Installation took about 15 minutes for each once I had the adapters in hand.

I wish it was Best Buy that went under and not Circuit City who always seemed to have a low cost, quick and easy solution to any problem I brought them.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I had to replace our dying Magnadie "RVRadio" recently in our 05 Adventurer. I had no problems with the wiring since the Magnadyne harness used standard wiring colors that matched my replacement radio. I had to splice, solder, and shrink wrap each wire individually since the Winne and Magnadyne connectors were non standard.
The real problem I had was with the size. Tha RVRadio was a DIN 1.5. I couldn't find anything in a DIN 1.5 that was "worthy", so I opted for a Blaupundt DIN 1 receiver with a Blaupundt DIN 1 CD changer below it. Cutting out the dash to a DIN 2 size was trivial, but ran into major problems with the metal behind. There wasn't enough depth for the changer and this required some "modifications". I'm not sure I would have gone this route if I'd known how much modifications would be required.
But now I have more room in my over dash cabinet after removing the CD changer I no longer need, and my wife can load the in dash changer while we are on the highway, so this is a big improvement. Also now we can use MP3 CD's and flash drives, and have hands free phone courtesy of the bluetooth interface.
swyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I just did this replacement of the peice of #### Magnedyne myself. there are kits to take the 1.5 din down to 1din. a professional installer should have no problem making this work. I also had to cut and splice the new pigtail to the one left by Magnedyne and that probably took the most time. Now we have a good interface to a MP3 of ipod and a nice improvement to sound quality. next I am going to tackle replacing the amp and speakers to higher quality units.

04 Winnebago 33v
Mortgagehomes is offline   Reply With Quote