Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2017, 09:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Unhappy Replacing a TV

Hi all. We bought a 2015 Vista 27N last Spring. In October our main living area TV died. It mounts on the living room wall that is covered up by the slide when it is closed. When the slide is closed, the TV is covered. So the TV is very thin. We called the dealer who told us that a replacement TV was $2000! Since this one only lasted a year, I sure don’t want to invest that much in a TV when Wal- Mart has plenty for less than ½ that!

And since we had to cut the cord (which was connected inside the wall and we could not find a way to access it even when we took an air vent off) to remove the TV, I guess we need to have it installed by the dealer. Ka-Ching

Anyone else replace a TV in a tight, thin area like this? What model? And how did you get it installed? Thanks!
RVer1650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have replaced a number of TV's in coaches. If you are not able to do this I would contact a local place that does car stereo etc. They will probably have a tech. who could install a TV for you. I would recommend a Samsung -costs a little more, but will last longer and they have some thin units.
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVer1650 View Post
Hi all. We bought a 2015 Vista 27N last Spring. In October our main living area TV died. It mounts on the living room wall that is covered up by the slide when it is closed. When the slide is closed, the TV is covered. So the TV is very thin. We called the dealer who told us that a replacement TV was $2000! Since this one only lasted a year, I sure don’t want to invest that much in a TV when Wal- Mart has plenty for less than ½ that!

And since we had to cut the cord (which was connected inside the wall and we could not find a way to access it even when we took an air vent off) to remove the TV, I guess we need to have it installed by the dealer. Ka-Ching

Anyone else replace a TV in a tight, thin area like this? What model? And how did you get it installed? Thanks!
While I can't really help you on the replacement, I'm just a little puzzled on why a TV, especially a $TWO THOUSAND DOLLAR one, only lasted a bit over a year??? While it's not really the topic here but, I'd like to know what brand that is/was, so I can shy away from it when I start to hunt for a replacement of my still working TV that's a mere 12 years old. Sorry to hear of your issue and hope you find a suitable replacement, hopefully a lot less than $2000!
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

RVer1650, for future reference the recp for the TV power is accessible through the door in the cabinet by the door. It is high on the wall and dark brown so you will need a flash light to see it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 vista 27N tv recp.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	148748  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

If it's just a matter of a couple inches, many Winnebagos have a false wall behind the dinette where plumbing and electrical wiring resides. My Journey would have room for a hole in the wall so you could put in a deeper TV. A good carpenter familiar with RVs should be able to help.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:29 PM   #6
Itasca Sunstar Owner

What is the make of your t.v. I have Insignia's in my 2015 Itasca Sunstar. I would think that you should be able to get the same make and model that is current in your rig. I doubt they are custom made for motorhomes.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

When I replaced the CRT TV in my 2005 Sightseer I bought a replacement flatscreen from Best Buy. I asked Best Buy if they did installs in RV's and they said yes.

Because I had to modify the woodwork from where the CRT TV was removed I did the install myself.

I was a little concerned about not purchasing an RV TV but I never had a problem. I did purchase a protection plan but I never needed it.

Best Buy sells Insignia. Insignia are Best Buy's cheaper brand.

When I purchased my 2016 Sightseer the TV's were very fuzzy. My dealer changed the switch box but that didn't help.

I talked to Best Buy about the fuzzy signal and the Insignia TV's. Best Buy confirmed that Insignia was their lower quality brand.

It turns out that Winnebago at Forest City, Iowa replaced the switch box for a second time finally fixing the fuzzy TV issue.

The Insignia TV's work fine now.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

What is the size and model of the TV?
Of you could get the outside dimensions of the box you could start there at Walmart or on Amazon.
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

As grtharris' diagram shows, the power cord for the TV on the 27N goes through a hole in the wall and plugs into an outlet inside the small cabinet in the bathroom. You can use a small wire snake or metal coat hanger to fish a new power cord through.
The bracket for the TV should be reusable. Just remove a couple of screws at the top, and the TV will lift off of the wall. You should be able to remove the TV side of the bracket and install it on a new TV. If you hadn't cut the cord, you probably could have reused it. Just make sure the new TV is thin enough or the slide to clear when closed.
vawinger is offline   Reply With Quote