Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

The Magnadyne radio in our 2003 Adventurer 35u has given up. Any ideas on a direct replacement, that will fit the cutout and harness plus have HD, CD, and weather?
rvtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

The Magnadyne radio in our 2003 Adventurer 35u has given up. Any ideas on a direct replacement, that will fit the cutout and harness plus have HD, CD, and weather?
Old 01-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I think you will find that you have a 1.5 din size radio and so any radio of that size will fit. I also believe you can get a kit to use a standard 1 din radio in that opening.
I would start with crutchfield.com as a very good source of info and products then just google to see what else you find.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you for the radio web site. I will check them out.

Steve
Old 01-09-2008, 08:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

The VR-182 is apparently the current issue from Winnebago, as well as what several here are currently changing out to. Then there are those of us waiting for our Magnadyne's to die so we can justify the swap as well.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

The 182 recommended by SCVJeff has been recommended by others.
Do a search on the topic as it has ben disussed and you will find some good info. http://www.kingstonmobile.com/home.htm
look here this site may be of some help.
Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:50 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Having just replaced my Magnadyne with a Jensen vr185 which is 1.5 din size radio. I had to enlarge the opening. I'm thinking the connector for harness was repaced by Winnebago to match their wiring. So to find a radio that will just plug in??
Old 01-10-2008, 06:59 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Crutchfield supplies great radios and phone support on how to install and what will fit. They also supply kits for the 1 1/2 DIN size.

http://www.crutchfield.com/

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Crutchfield doesn't know anything about, nor supports either of these radios (I asked). I doubt it's a big deal to find all the speakers and attach to the new connector. Use a 1.5V battery and listen to the pop to identify each speaker as a lat resort. There IS an industry standard color code for auto radios, but I don't know it off the top of my head.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:01 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I just don't believe you are going to find a radio that will plug right in. You will have to find a radio that fits your needs & make it fit. If you have done any wiring on a car, truck or motor home, it is not very hard at all. The wiring code should be the same on both radios. In fact it was on the top of both the Magnadyne & the Jensen. Look at the chassis side of connector & find out which leads Winnebago used. In my case there were 7 leads. Again I just matched up new wires to the old connector & spliced only the leads I needed.
If you don't have skills to wire & install, I would find a good radio shop to do the job. It's a very easy job beings the dash lifts up.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:48 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

The Jensen VR-182 is used by Winnebago for 2008. We have one in ours. It looks pretty standard in size and I would think that it would fit yours fairly well. Several good upgrades on this radio that include "Sirius ready" and "iPod mode". You will need additional parts for these upgrades to operate but well worth it.

2007 Honda CRV
comp-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:09 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I replaced my Magnadyne 9900 radio with a Visteon CD6 radio. I got it directly from Riverpark. They are the ones that sell them to Tiffin as well as many other RV manufactureres but they will sell direct to you. The link to it is http://www.riverparkinc.com/product_display.php?list=ca...eon&cat=Mobile+Audio.

It's a great radio, much better than the Magnadyne, and is Sirius ready and holds 6 CDs inside, features WeatherBand, auxiliary inputs and outputs, and was the same size as the Magnadyne.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:18 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I replaced my Magnadyne 9900 radio with a Visteon CD6 radio. I got it directly from Riverpark. They are the ones that sell them to Tiffin as well as many other RV manufactureres but they will sell direct to you. The link to it is http://www.riverparkinc.com/product_...t=Mobile+Audio.

It's a great radio, much better than the Magnadyne, and is Sirius ready and holds 6 CDs inside, features WeatherBand, auxiliary inputs and outputs, and was the same size as the Magnadyne. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am interested in replacing my Magnadyne radio also. I would also like to eliminate the remote CD changer that is impossible to access when on the road, but don't want to give up on the changer. I went to the link above, but didn't see anything about the weatherband. Also, does this unit allow for a remote?

Thanks for the info, I hadn't found this in my research.
swyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:24 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave from MN:
Having just replaced my Magnadyne with a Jensen vr185 which is 1.5 din size radio. I had to enlarge the opening. I'm thinking the connector for harness was repaced by Winnebago to match their wiring. So to find a radio that will just plug in?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This might work for me. I also have the Sanyo remote 10 CD changer. Do you know if this unit will work with the Sanyo changer?

Thanks
swyates is offline   Reply With Quote