Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2020, 05:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Replaced original TV in 2002 Itasca

The 2002 Itasca I recently bought had the original front CRT TV already replaced, by the previous owner, with a flat screen TV, but it's sound doesn't switch to the surround sound system.
Looking at basic wiring charts it appears there was an amplifier or something at the back of the original TV but it is no longer there.
Is there a way that I can connect the flat screen TV sound to the surround sound system?
Bill Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The answer to every question is, "It depends". Our entertainment systems are likely similar so I will describe how mine works. Hopefully you can glean something from that.

Caveat. All the OEM components, save the speakers, in my system have been replaced with new, hopefully better.

The amplifier for the original system, and present, is integral to our (Sony) Home Entertainment 5.1 system. As it was to the OEM.

The dash radio is a 5.1 JVC. All the speaker wires input to a "six channel speaker switch with crossover" (mfg description). This device is located near the Sony. All the Sony speaker wires input to the speaker switch also. The switch output leads to all the various speakers in the system. In our case, two right, two left, one center and two woofers. That is a gazillion speaker wires. Luckily, Winnebago printed each wire with their ID.

If you are missing the six channel switch (original about 9 x 6 x 2in, new about 4 x 3 x 1) call Riverpark, 21953 Protecta Dr. Elkhart, IN 574-522-7781

There is a rocker switch near Sony (which I moved to beneath the TV) labeled Radio and DVD. That tells the six channel switch which input to send to the speakers.

Finally to your specific question. You need to have a TV that has audio output (either RCA or HDMI) and you have to have a home entertainment unit that will accept that audio output. Probably, your home entertainment unit (my Sony) will default to the DVD for sound. You likely have to tell it to play TV, Aux or whatever. They are all a little bit different.

In summary, I rocker the switch to radio for radio, rocker it to DVD for DVD or TV. The TV plays only after I have directed the Sony to accept TV for play thru.

Hope that is helpful.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Tv swap

I'm swappinig out my SOny for a flat fire tv...going to hook up speakers thru optical output w/an optical to rca adapter...
I will post to let you know if it works....
Markgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

It would help if you identified the specific model Itasca.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Sorry I have a 2004 adventurer 35u ..... I/we have gotten old tv out & are now making a wood mount to go in orig metal tv bracket to mount the full motion tv mount to...
Old 10-21-2020, 05:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Got the tv in & working but surround sound is not right....
Old 10-21-2020, 08:05 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Markgel… a bit more info would be useful, like what does "not right" mean, but I'll give you a possibility based on an assumption of your equipment.

On your year/model, one of the options was a Deluxe Q-surround system. Don't know if you have it or not, but for this discussion I'll assume you do. If you don't, stop reading as the rest of this won't apply. The Deluxe package comes with 5 speakers (2 front, 2 middle, and a subwoofer somewhere on the floor, perhaps in the middle of the coach.)

If this your setup, the issue I suspect you are having is that the sound level is fixed and fairly loud. You can't seem to change the volume. Is this correct?

The deluxe system is a Riverpark system. It is essentially a fixed amplifier with a pseudo-surround sound simulation. It depends upon the source (TV or stereo) to adjust the volume level. Now, on virtually all TVs that I'm aware, the digital sound output is fixed. It assumes you are feeding it into a surround system that has its own volume control. So you are sending a fixed sound output to a fixed amp, and nowhere is there a volume control in the mix.

There are a couple solutions, depending on your TV. First, forget the digital output and use the RCA jack Audio Out on your TV. This will work if your TV setup shows that you can change your audio output from fixed to variable. Then you can use the audio output RCA jacks.

If your TV doesn't setup doesn't have the ability to change from Fixed to Variable on the audio out, then, if you have it, try using an adaptor cord to plug into the headphone jack on the TV. Headphone audio is adjustable through the TV volume control, and there are cords with a headphone jack on one end and RCA audio plugs on the other.

If neither apply, then the only way to make it work is surgery... you would have to open the back of the TV to gain access to the TV speakers, and directly solder the wires going to the Surround to the TV speaker connections. Then you'll be sending variable audio out to the surround system.

If this wasn't your problem, or you don't have the Deluxe Surround, please provide more info so we can help.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Tv swap

Wow , you hit it right on the head, the adapter for optic to rca has no volume control, i was going to try headphone jack this afternoon....yes i have the surround sound 2 sub woofers 1 in floor 1 under fridge, but having fire tv is awesome...now just get the sound right.....thank you for the info...i will keep all apprised of how it goes...
Old 10-22-2020, 08:14 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgel View Post
Wow , you hit it right on the head, the adapter for optic to rca has no volume control, i was going to try headphone jack this afternoon....yes i have the surround sound 2 sub woofers 1 in floor 1 under fridge, but having fire tv is awesome...now just get the sound right.....thank you for the info...i will keep all apprised of how it goes...
if you took out the original tv, take the back off and you will probably find a small coil wired into the tv speaker. if you do, take it out and put it in the new tv the same way. I think that is the way they made the original speakers to work with the original tv.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:18 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Tv swap

i SAW THAT COIL . DO I NEED IT. SO I HAVE TO HAVE TIT SOLDERED INT NEW TV, OR CAN I WIRE IT INTO AN ADAPTER FOR THE HEADSET OUTLET ON TV?
Old 10-22-2020, 08:37 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

The coil is just a static suppressor. You can try without it first, then add inline if you hear buzzing. I didn't find it necessary.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:23 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

AWESOME THANK YOU FOR THE INFO...I just ordered a plug to go from headphone outlet on tv to rca plug
Old 10-22-2020, 09:24 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Next is bedroom tv......

Tags
ace, itasca, replace