Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-30-2014, 08:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Replace satellite dome

I what to replace the dome on my 05 Vectra with one that has 2 heads, so I can use a DVR. My question is has anyone done this and can you pull the extra coax cable through the current roof tunnel where the one coax cable is located.
madred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

If you want the absolute best (IMO) option, replace the dome with a Winegard Travler SWM dish. They are available in either Dish or Direct, HD configurations and you will only have to run one cable from the dish to inside the coach, then you will have up to four available outputs.

The Travler finds the bird quickly and is much less affected by dew or rain fade like the domes.

I installed one on a Winnebago Journey and I was able to use the old cable from the Kingdome I was replacing to pull the new coax into the space behind the TV. I suspect the Vectra is set up the same way.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I agree, the Trav'ler is probably the best antenna available right now. If you Google it you can find some deals on it. They are not cheap but they really work. I had a KVH R4 for 6-7 years and it wore out, replaced it with this one and it is far better.
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Yes you should be able to pull the dome and use the old cables as a pull "string" to pull your new cables. Not to muddy the waters for the Winegard fans, but when we replaced our King Dome, we went with an RF Mogul SWM dish. Very easy to use, finds the satellites easily and quickly and great reception.
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:38 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Camping World has an install special of $39 on ANYTHING right now, plus shop stuff, caulk, rags.
they are both on sale, Direct TV $1800 & Dish is $1500. Hop to it don't miss the Cheap install.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I was at Camping World last week and asked about the cost to install the Traveler. I was told the $39 special does not apply to satellite dishes. I was quoted $139.00 FWIW
bowpulpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:33 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowpulpit View Post
I was at Camping World last week and asked about the cost to install the Traveler. I was told the $39 special does not apply to satellite dishes. I was quoted $139.00 FWIW
I would have to say that is still not too bad.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:03 AM   #8

I have a King Dome and a DVR. The Direct Sat Tech found a 2nd portal on the dome for the cable and ran it thru the same hole. No labor charge from Direct because I took 2yr rental agreement on Receiver/DVR.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:06 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Are you sure you don't have two LNBs. Ours did but they only ran one cable,I just added another cable and ran it along side the other one and then down thru the hole already in the roof.Now I can use my DVR,it works great.
Phil B

Quote:
Originally Posted by madred View Post
I what to replace the dome on my 05 Vectra with one that has 2 heads, so I can use a DVR. My question is has anyone done this and can you pull the extra coax cable through the current roof tunnel where the one coax cable is located.
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:20 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Sometimes we camped where we could not get a signal due to trees or other obstacles so we bought portable automatic satellite dish and connected to the external satellite connection then both the King Dome and remote dish to the DVR receiver. If the signal was bad on the roof unit at least we had the other to either watch TV or record.
Catch14me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I ran a second cable from the King Dome dish to DVR.
They are marked Main and aux.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #12

Camping World Installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Camping World has an install special of $39 on ANYTHING right now, plus shop stuff, caulk, rags.
they are both on sale, Direct TV $1800 & Dish is $1500. Hop to it don't miss the Cheap install.
There was a thread here about a month ago about exactly how CW installed a sat dish. I believe they ran the cable ON THE ROOF and tacked it down every foot or two. Looked like crap and gaurnteed to fail.

I've had to repair/re-install so many of their jobs that I would not trust them to install a roll of toilet paper.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:13 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

If your King dome is working and you want to add a second LNB, why not look at the new Tailgater portable dome. Sets up quick, works around trees and is in the $ 350 range. My brother in law just bought one from someone back East that included the receiver for less than $ 200 but the B ***&%^*(( won't give me the web site till I do some work for him. We may have a Hell freezing over situation soon>
The toads
TheToads is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, satellite