Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Removing radio in the passenger side compartment

Is it very difficult to remove the radio unit mounted in the passenger side storage compartment just behind the entry door? I'm planning on having my slide-out nylon bushings replaced before long and I understand they will pull the slide-out rams out the passenger side of the coach. It looks like the front ram will have to come out right behind the radio mounted in that front compartment and I thought I'd have it out of the way ahead of time possibly saving some labor costs.
This is on a 2004 Meridian 36G.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi wagonmaster2,

I was just going to replace the radio in mine tomorrow and will let you know.

How can I tell if I need to change out the slide bushings on our 2004 Journey?
Mr Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
Hi wagonmaster2,

Good question
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #4

I tried to take out the radio in my Class B yesterday, couldn't do it. Checked with Haynes and it says that it takes special tools.

So how to they steal them so easily?
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I would expect that your 'black bag' should have the little clips or u-shaped rods that are used to remove the radio.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The ones for my in-dash Audiovox VR-180 look like this.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:19 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

When I had my slide bushings replaced on my 36G at Forest City, they did not remove the radio to do any of the work. Perhaps there are other approaches to the job that would require removal of it .
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #8

Took the rig to Fry's, bought a radio and installation for $40 more. Took the poor guy 1 1/2 hours. Best $40 I've spent in a long time.

Gave me squat for the trade-in, though. Nothing. That must be where they make the big bucks.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
Hi wagonmaster2,

Hi Ron,

With the front slide extended look at the outer bottom of the piece the ram sets on and the two small whitish nylon bushings (glides) supporting the ram. One of mine on each end of the room have pieces broken off and also the nylon pieces the room slides up/down on to make the room floor level have cracks in them. Also the room seems to be settling as the room is dragging more & more on the carpet as it extends/retracts so I'm assuming they are wearing down.
I think this was pretty much some kind of Mickey Mouse design by some engineer who probably never has seen a motor home.

I'm hoping there isn't too much trouble removing the outside radio but as usual with most of my projects I can generally double the time I think it should take then add a couple more hours. I will need to remove the whole board the radio/speakers are mounted in to have access to that black metal panel behind it all.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thumbs up

Don't feel alone buddy! owning a machine shop, most of my projects are totally over engineered disasters and Cindy will come along and say "why don't you just use this peel n stick double ended bungee cord thing-a-ma-jig!!!

@#%$*&^%...yes dear...

I took a peek at the Slide Ram you need serviced and it looks as though you can access all of the hardware and hydraulic lines with the radio in place without much difficulty. The black steel box our radio resides in seems a bit overkill but should last a very long time. I did not have the opportunity to exchange radios yet because I had to redo my slobber tube solution and install a flat screen in the basement bay that houses the radio. I climbed in and snapped a few shots of the ram and how the steel box mounts but it doesn't look too bad if I did have to yank it out.

Thanks so much for the slide bushing lowdown as I'll be "back under the bus" again tomorrow after work looking for signs of nylon disintegration!

Our Journey and your Meridian are the same age so any help from you , I consider golden!

Pardon me as I've gotta research a new radiator recovery tank now....
Old 02-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Ron -
Your comment on the radiator recovery tank is going to be one of my coming-up projects also, but by the FL shop. I'm waiting for the weather to clear up so I can make an appointment in Tulsa for several items to be replaced.
My fan blade bearing isn't causing any problem right now but from what I'm reading on the Forums that bearing (sealed and not greaseable) can go out anywhere from 15,000 miles on up, and when it goes it sounds like the fan blades can do a lot of other damage back there. While under the bed there I figured I'd have the mechanic replace the idler and tension bearings, the radiator recovery pressure tank, the thermostats, and any hoses and belts that look like they should be replaced. All this may be overkill but after 9 years and 59,000 miles surely it should be good maintenance (and very very expensive) as I'd hate to have to do any of the replacements out on the road (not the fan bearing or tank as they'd have to be done in a shop). On a car you can usually hear any problems ahead of time (the idler/tension bearing on my Wrangler certainly made enough noise) and get them fixed before any serious trouble but the noise a diesel makes a person would be lucky to hear a jack hammer in there.

Seems the older I get the scarier it gets thinking about the some of these things happening on the road. I drove gas RVs for 16 years and vacationed in station wagons another 20 years without any thought about having to be towed after a breakdown, but now with almost 9 years in this diesel I've read about so many things that can cause a complete shutdown requiring a tow. And seeing so many semi tractors stopped along side the Interstates with the hood up doesn't help any either.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Well, I opened up both slides and shot a few photos of the white delrin/nylon looking bushings and it looks as if the original owner had them changed out recently and the rectangle tubes appear to be freshly lubed as well.

I'm actually feeling more and more confidence in our Journey as I cruise around under our rig on my old creeper. I think the original owner must have been a long time member here. Clean engine oil, transmission and hydraulic fluids, filters with recent dates marked on them. The belts and hoses look to be in good condition too.

I'll plan on doing the recovery tank swap and whip up a cool looking protective cover if it is in fact UV damage from the sun doing the damage.

Our 04 Journey has 69139 and the counting has just begun...

Whether we're on the road or out camping, I do notice tons of older rigs and being mechanical in nature, things will happen, but at the end of the day, we can only worry about the stuff we have control over. Seems the older I get the more I ramble....Sorry.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Most of what I'm reading on the Forums, RVers seem to blame the cracking/breaking of the recovery tank onto the UV rays of the sun. But when I mentioned to the tech at the Freightliner shop in Tulsa that I try to keep mine covered most of the time for protection he said it's more the engine heat that's doing the damage. Who knows what to blame. Course I guess there's not much we can do about engine heat.

Tags
radio