Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2016, 03:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to ed rzepka
Removal of Pioneer In-Dash Radio/Back Up Camera Unit

I have a 2016 Sightseer 33c. Does anyone know how to remove the Pioneer in dash entertainment center/camera screen from the dash? I need to install an AUX plug for the docking station for an XM radio we move from vehicle to vehicle to home.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:37 PM   #2
Just Trying to Help

Ed-

What model number is the Pioneer unit?
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:37 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
I have a 2016 Sightseer 33c. Does anyone know how to remove the Pioneer in dash entertainment center/camera screen from the dash? I need to install an AUX plug for the docking station for an XM radio we move from vehicle to vehicle to home.
Sorry, can't help you on that. I am curious though as to which model of Pioneer DVD/receiver that Winnebago put in the 2016 33C. I would like to upgrade mine at some point in time.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Model Number: AVH-17DVD-01. This is a picture from the Winnebago website, not mine.

Image 3 / 4

Old 05-08-2016, 07:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

You can't see it in the picture, but there are two screws around the A/C controls that look like they assist in fastening the fascia plate to a base. You will also notice that the black fascia piece is in part molded around the radio screen. To me, there looks like there might be some sort of spring clips fastening fascia to a base.

ed
Old 05-08-2016, 09:03 PM   #6
Just Trying to Help

Ed-

Perhaps pages 8 and 9 of the attached file apply. If so, then it appears as if there are four screws (under the plastic trim ring around the front of the unit) that hold the unit in.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 130ADTV133.PDF (851.8 KB, 559 views)
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:23 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I see that the screen is angled toward the driver, is there much reflection on the screen. In our 2015 the screen is close to useless due to reflection.

If it is similar to the 2015 there are a lot of screws that need to be removed, many hidden.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:00 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

It’s done. The receiver is mounted to the back of the fascia plate. The plastic housing around the receiver is molded into the fascia plate and does not cannot be removed.

To access the receiver: There are five screws that need to be removed. Two screws are at each end of the little elongated tray close to the bottom of the fascia plate. I didn’t notice them before because of light blindness from all the windows. I had brought my flashlight and that is when I spotted them. The other three screws are along the bottom. You can’t see them in the picture. I noticed the screws before and it looked like they were not screwed into anything. I decided to take them out. It was then I realize that there is a thin piece of metal bracket that they screw into. At the top, there is a metal bracket on the dash and one on the fascia piece they lock together. When all the screws are out, the fascia piece slides down about ½ inch, the fascia unlocks and then pops out. Really easy. The whole job took me 10 minutes once I figured it out. Just reverse the process to reassemble it.

Thanks everybody for taking the time to write.

Sue: There is some reflection. The problem I have is that it is difficult to see with sunglasses. The other issue is that the driver is required to take his (her) eyes off the road and move their head to the right and down to see anything. Too much time. We did not get the GPS with this unit so it is not really used much. We have a 7 inch Garmin on top of the dash that requires no head movement, only eyes. – much less time and you still have peripheral vision on the road. I mainly use the receiver backing or when the turn signals are on. Having pulled 5th wheels for many years, I found that a good set of mirrors that are adjusted properly pretty much do the job for me need the camera to change lanes.

Ed
Old 05-09-2016, 04:38 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I was just interested in the reflection problems. We don't use the screen for anything other than to monitor the toad as we drive down the road. We don't feel it is safe to use the screen for turns etc. Our other concern has been when we turn on the headlights(when it rains) the screen dims and is even more difficult to see. DH contacted Pioneer and they told him which wire needs to be switched or something.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 05-09-2016, 06:17 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
I was just interested in the reflection problems. We don't use the screen for anything other than to monitor the toad as we drive down the road. We don't feel it is safe to use the screen for turns etc. Our other concern has been when we turn on the headlights(when it rains) the screen dims and is even more difficult to see. DH contacted Pioneer and they told him which wire needs to be switched or something.
I didn't look at is closely, but in "Settings" there is a menu item that you can adjust the monitor background light. You might look at this and see what the settings are and you may be able to adjust it accordingly.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:55 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I cannot hardly see what is on the screen when the blinkers are on in the day light, the screen is too dim, I tried to set it as bright as it go;s in settings but still not enough back light. Is there another menu in settings?
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:19 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM251ss View Post
I cannot hardly see what is on the screen when the blinkers are on in the day light, the screen is too dim, I tried to set it as bright as it go;s in settings but still not enough back light. Is there another menu in settings?
I don't have that problem so I never really looked at the dimmer settings. Mine does not dim when using my blinkers. I will have to try my headlights to see what happens. Here is a link to the owners manual: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...nual032415.pdf

Info on dimmer adjustment is on page 24.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:42 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I tried that setting but it doesn't stop the display from getting dim when I put on the headlights. I never looked at it when I put on my blinkers bu I don't see why it should become dim. It does change to the R/L camera but since we don't use them I haven't looked at it closely.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 05-10-2016, 01:57 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Angled Pioneer Mount Mod to pre 2016 Winnebago

I had a 2015 Vista without the angled Pioneer dash unit mount they started using in 2016.
I was able to modify to angle the screen towards the driver and it turned out well. It makes a huge difference in being able to see the screen, for the left and right turn mirror cameras in particular, while driving.

The opening has to be enlarged slightly with a dremel tool with cutting wheel, the mount for the radio have to be modified to mount the radio at an angle. I covered the small part of the radio case that sticks out with black electrical tape.

For me the slight change in angle along with adjusting the screen brightness almost as high as it will go and adjusting the amount the screen dims with lights on to almost nothing so you can see the screen when driving with lights on in daytime for rainy conditions has really made the turn view cameras more usable.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	126655  
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:14 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for all the infor. Next project is on the books................

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 05-13-2016, 04:43 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I just wanted to share most of the higher end Pioneer AVIC receivers are plug and play and use the stock harness. I just replaced my base unit with an AVIC that has Apple Car Play, Navi, Bluetooth, and Sirius.

Very simple upgrade.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:07 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Ed.

We made it back to Washington State and just spent our first night at home.

The latest thing to give me problems is the in dash radio. At first it had a tortured startup. It attemped to boot up over and over till it would finally start working. I went in through the vrnt hole and I unpluged and replaced the cables and it started working. That lasted only one day.

Now it will not start and if I try to replace the cables I get a frozen screen.

So, where are the screws in the facia plate. I have located the three at the bottom.

Amazon has the radio for $180, X 2700 BS and the latest model, X 2800 BS for $230.

And here is another issue. The rubber sealing my kitchen slide is comming loose. I will have my dealer bond ot back in place. You might want to give your rubber seals a check while at Winnebago.

Also Winnebago checked the seal around the periphery of my roof and on my shower skylight. They said that the paint shop didn't do it correctly and they resealed my top and replaced the external skylight.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:34 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowboat View Post
Ed.

We made it back to Washington State and just spent our first night at home.

The latest thing to give me problems is the in dash radio. At first it had a tortured startup. It attemped to boot up over and over till it would finally start working. I went in through the vrnt hole and I unpluged and replaced the cables and it started working. That lasted only one day.

Now it will not start and if I try to replace the cables I get a frozen screen.

So, where are the screws in the facia plate. I have located the three at the bottom.

Amazon has the radio for $180, X 2700 BS and the latest model, X 2800 BS for $230.

And here is another issue. The rubber sealing my kitchen slide is comming loose. I will have my dealer bond ot back in place. You might want to give your rubber seals a check while at Winnebago.

Also Winnebago checked the seal around the periphery of my roof and on my shower skylight. They said that the paint shop didn't do it correctly and they resealed my top and replaced the external skylight.

Safe travels. JD
JD

Isn't it be covered by warranty?

We are about 110 miles south of Junction City, OR for a few days then to the factory Wednesday for our "visit". This will be the 5h stop this trip for non-routine maintenance. I think after all is said an done, we will probably have lost about three weeks this. Really put a crimp in our plans. After Junction City, we work our way back to Florida, via Maryland to visit friends and my wife's daughter.

ed
Old 08-14-2016, 08:19 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

No it isn't covered by warranty. My one year warranty expired on August 6th.

I found the other two screws and discovered that the dash opens easily.

I unplugged all of the connections including nearby wiring plugs. I did this several times trying to clean any corroded connections. Apparently it worked. The radio comes on normally on house or coach battery.

Tomorrow I will try it again to see if the fix worked over night.

Tomorrow afternoon I plan to deliver our coach to our dealer to check the differential seal and a few coach issues.

I understand about delays impacting your trip. We started our trip but returned to our dealer because of a shower drain leak. We lost more than two weeks. Then we lost five more days in Forest City for a slide repair. We shortened our time in Florida and scrapped plans to visit Yellowstone National Park. While attending the GNR we were homeless on two of the hottest days and we were limited on activities because we were dog sitting.

Safe travels. JD
Old 08-16-2016, 10:26 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

We dropped off our coach at the dealer yesterday for more repairs.

My radio worked for several hours. I could turn it on and off and switch between chassis and house power. But after several hours of being off it would not come back on even when I unplugged all of the connections and plugged them back in. I attempted to run a direct ground but that didn't work. I think it is a faulty radio but I'm not positive.

The Ford side of the dealership will check chassis issues. It's handy having a dealer that can work on everything in one stop. And they are more responsive than my previous dealer who would keep our RV for a month or so. Awesome RV will put our coach back together while waiting for parts so that we can use it.

They will look at my differential seep and tighten my exhaust pipe as it is loose and droops near the ground.

The motorhome side will check out my shower skylight. Winnebago removed and replaced the outer shell while we were in Forest City. Humidity was 100 percent and now I can see droplets of moisture trapped in between.

Winnebago fixed a gap in the entry door where light shined through at the top of thr door. Now I can see light at the bottom of the door.

Also, on the drivers side kitchen slide the rubber gap seal is pulling away from the coach. The bonding material is failing.

Every time I get repairs I hope that now everything is fixed but unfortunately new problems keep cropping up.

Safe travels. JD

Tags
camera, dash, radio, removal