Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Recommendation for RV GPS system

Greetings all! Found the MH we wanted and bought a 2014 Itasca Sunstar 30T last week. Very exciting. Bringing it home in two weeks, so I'm interested in what GPS system(s) you have found to be most reliable - for taking into account rig size, roads, weather, traffic .... ease of viewing screen .. all the things that make us wonder what we did before GPS!! Thank you.
jerztime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I got the Garmin 465 Truckers GPS. Works good for me, you can plug in your size and weight plus!
RAYDAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have the Garmin RV 760LMT. I also bought the VicTsing Navigator Sun Shade Glare Visor Shield for 7 inch GPS. Don't leave home without it. I got them both off of Amazon.
ceemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I decided to buy the Rand McNally 7730 RV GPS. I bought it in Sep., used it twice. It just arrived at Rand McNally in Skokie, IL Monday for repair or replace. Too much computerization IMO. It stopped working with the RM DOCK so I played with it some, trying to get the RM DOCK to re-install; finally got a message saying " a file is missing a UUID field". RM tech support emailed me a return UPS shipping label.
I think I should have spent my money with Garmin.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemike View Post
I have the Garmin RV 760LMT. I also bought the VicTsing Navigator Sun Shade Glare Visor Shield for 7 inch GPS. Don't leave home without it. I got them both off of Amazon.
X2 love mine
Old 12-10-2014, 07:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone! great feedback.
jerztime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I use Rand McNally 7720 for the last for the last two years. Very accurate and no problems. Unit does not bother you with telling to stay on the road at ever highway intersection like my other Garmin does.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:22 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I've had an Rand Mcnally RVND-7710 since they first came out. Mine has bee a good GPS and I am trading it in on the RVND-7730. The RVND-7730 came yesterday, haven't set it up yet.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:03 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Howdy!

If you own a smartphone our a tablet with gps.

CoPilot - Your Best way to Navigate

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

When my Garmin gave up working I really did not know what GPS would be best for me. I wanted the RV type and researched all the major brands.
I ended up with the Good Sam, Rand McNally 7735. 7 inch screen. The first trip I made with it I was totally confused as to how to program and operate. Now after using it for a few months I am very happy with it.
GS puts the unit on sale often and can be purchased at a good price, life time updates are included.
I still find it hard to believe these units have that much information in a small box
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:18 PM   #11

I also have the Garmin RV 760LMT love it
spanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:44 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

While all of the above are good GPS systems ( have the Rand McNally) the more difficult decision was where to put it and how. The window suction cup put the unit to far away and nothing would really stick to my dash. I could have put it down in the drink tray, but then I would have to look down to see the screen. Finally settled on the Magellan 5# bean bag base. It has a suction disc in the bottom to attached the GPS to and then you can place it most anywhere you want. Has worked great and when you want to put it away, there are no suction cup marks to clean up.
That's my 2 pennies
TheToads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:35 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
Howdy!

If you own a smartphone our a tablet with gps.

CoPilot - Your Best way to Navigate

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
That website displays the price for the android trucker app @ $149, and that's what a MH owner would likely need.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:28 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I use a regular automotive GPS and am a long time Garmin fan. Bought a Garmin 2797 (with lifetime maps and traffic) that has a 7" display to replace my vintage StreetPilot and it is great. Not sure that I see any value in "RV" or "truck" routing or clearance info. My preference is to plan my route the night before and watch for signage where there might be issues with road widths or heights. The "traffic" info was useful on the last trip and we were able to successfully avoid delays east of Knoxville.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:36 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I bought the Magellan RV with 7" screen at CW. I really like the unit and as mentioned above the bean bag base is great for it sitting on the dash. The only thing I don't like is I want to take a route different then what it suggests it is a bit of a pain to get it to go where you want it to go. With the Rand McNally you can create your route on the Good Sam website and download the route to the Rand McNally. One thing I liked about the Magellan is that you could hook up your phone via Bluetooth so you can hands free call. If the Rand McNally had that feature I would have went with them.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:25 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That website displays the price for the android trucker app @ $149, and that's what a MH owner would likely need.
Howdy!

There is noneed to purchase the Co-Pilot trucker app. The personal app also has a RV setting that you can set the height of you RV up to 13'.

I did purchase the trucker app recently only because out new Toy Hauler 5er is 13' 6" tall. I like using Co-Pilot for the last three years and that was still cheaper than a new stand alone gps. I also use it with my Samsung Note 10.1 tablet and like the large screen while driving.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
Old 12-12-2014, 09:55 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

I have had the Magellan RoadMate RV9165T-LM for a couple years with the 5 pound bean bag on the dash. Great system. Has all the rv park in it. You can enter weight, length and rv type and it will route you on the right roads. It will even keep you off bridges that prohibit propane. I don't go anywhere without it.
dconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:50 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
Howdy!

There is noneed to purchase the Co-Pilot trucker app. The personal app also has a RV setting that you can set the height of you RV up to 13'.

I did purchase the trucker app recently only because out new Toy Hauler 5er is 13' 6" tall. I like using Co-Pilot for the last three years and that was still cheaper than a new stand alone gps. I also use it with my Samsung Note 10.1 tablet and like the large screen while driving.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

I'm considering CoPilot. How do you secure the Note while driving? I've seen a few pad holders out there, but wondering how robust they are.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
I'm considering CoPilot. How do you secure the Note while driving? I've seen a few pad holders out there, but wondering how robust they are.
Howdy!

I ordered a Ram mount on the internet for our MDT. Has worked great.

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-uni...hol-tab8u.html

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
Old 12-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I have always had Garmin Nuvi units in my cars but those screens were just too small for a 40 ft. coach. I settled on the Good Sam Rand McNally 7" screen GPS and have never looked back. Easy to use and I really like the Trip Planner software that can be accessed on a PC to set up multiple stop trips and then downloaded into the GPS. These trips can then either be edited on the PC or the GPS. This unit has an extensive database of campgrounds, fuel stops and places of interest that can be accessed on the fly or plugged in as stops within a specific trip.
Hoffie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps