Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2007, 04:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Has anyone else had a problem with the 2006 stock radio? Mine is acting up and before I start DYI trouble shooting I thought I would see if anyone else had had similar problems. My MAGNADYNE M9900CDS Radio will not turn off and many of the front panel buttons don't work. For example, I can turn down the volume down but not turn it up. All functions of the steering wheel remote control unit work perfectly. It's just the buttons on the radio itself that seem to be locked up or maybe the front face of the radio has lost its ground. First I'm going outside to hit the reset button but in that the remote controls work normally I don't expect a miracle with my toothpick. Please let me know if you have solved a similar problem. Thanks folks!
Old 11-01-2007, 06:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have been experiencing the same problems with the stock radio in my Meridian. It's a Magnadyne model M3200CD. The remote has now quit working but I'm assuming it's a battery issue. I hate this radio--very confusing to operate, buttons too small, its position in the dash makes it impossible to adjust or see, breaks up when windshield wipers are on, etc.

Nexus Ghost
richf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

It's junk - made in China. When mine exhibited the same problems, I sent it to Magnadyne and they repaired it under warranty. Shortly after, it quit again...

Magnadyne rep gave me the name of another company that sells retail to the public. Talked to them and they recommended that I purchase another one for $245.

Silence is golden.
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:10 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Ours is an older model Magnadyne, model M9999. It has, on the front panel, a Logic Reset Button.

Operations manual says, "If the display or front panel functions become locked and inoperative, press this button to return all logic back to "Default Mode."

Check for a reset button - it's just a little hole. You need a pencil point or paper clip end to do this.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

We had problems with ours and we sent it back to be repaired. They said it couldn't be fixed and sent us a new one. Think it had a 2 year war.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Just for the next soul who has this problem, the reset switch DID NOT fix the problem but the action of the reset pushbutton switch appeared to work as advertised. As I indicated previously, the remote control works all functions it always has on the radio. Only problem is I can't get back to the FM bands with the remote unfortunately. My paperwork indicates only a one year warrantee so I'll try removing the front bezel and fiddling around with the circuit board beneath same. Stuff like this should not happen to any electronic devise less than two years old IMHO. IF, it was an induced problem, it must have been due to a low chassis battery. The only thing I did to my knowledge that could have screwed it up is attempt to start the RV with a low chassis battery charge. After satisfactorily starting with the boost switch I hooked up my battery charger to the chassis battery to thoroughly charge it. Maybe, (and I don't know), if I had the radio ON during these events the low voltage or high voltage took it out. If it did, it still smacks of a very poor design and poor choice of supplier for a radio used in this application.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Magnadyne is crap. I am on my 3rd radio in 3 years. Will never have another one. Maybe that's why Winniebago's now come with Jensen radios?
jm828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My MAGNADYNE M9900CDS is fixed and working 4.0 now. After pulling it out from the dash and studying how to get the bezel off for nearly an hour it dawned on me that the 3 Philips screws on each side probably held it on. Everything started working normally once I removed the six screws and tugged it away from the main body of the radio. As those of you who have looked beneath the bezel know, there is a printed circuit board attached to the bezel with screws and a multi wire plug lead from that circuit board that plugs into the face of the main body of the radio behind it. I fiddled with the tiny plug a bit but did not remove and reseat just because I was being overly cautious with everything then working normally. I did not have to remove the radio from the dash, just pull it out about three inches to get at the bezel screws. (The tool to do so should be in your original kit of stuff and consists of two U shaped thingamajigs about 3 inches long)

I kind of suspect that MAGNADYNE uses the same radio and just changes out the face plate bezel to call it something else. Anyway, I'm happy now. As a precaution in the future I'll make sure the radio is off prior to starting the chassis engine if I least bit suspect the battery might be low. I will also make sure it's off if I put a charger on the chassis battery. The reset button is suppose to fix any glitches caused by either of the above but it sure didn't in my case. I'm not positive that a low chassis battery or charging same was the actual reason I had the problem but is the only coincidence involved with the failure of many of the front panel controls.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:08 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Ours has started to act up also. The first sympton was no power to it at all. Now it doesn't want to turn off until you kill the main power. I think it's time to replace it with a good after market unit.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

If you're comfortable at all playing with it I strongly suggest you pull it out 4 inches, remove the tiny 6 Philips screws, (3 on either side that go through the black plastic front Bezel extensions), and wiggle some wires where the tiny extension cord from the front Bezel to the main radio unit is located. You have to take it out to replace it so why not practice and maybe it will start working properly. Sounds OK when working for my old ears!
Old 05-03-2008, 01:10 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Having the same problem with my Magnadyne piece of #$%@.

Just bought my 2006 Endeavor and the radio was working fine, when all of a sudden, the volume can't be turned up, it won't shut off, etc...

Will try your fix by taking the darned thing apart and try to fiddle...can't afford the $120.00 hour shop rate for these RV's and the thing is out of warranty.

Thanks for the tips and will let you know if it works for now.

Until then...
Old 05-03-2008, 04:26 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
It's junk - made in China
Is there anything that isn't Chinese junk these days.

I
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:45 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Finally finished! Have to thank Paul T. from Nov. 17 blog about removing the bezel (otherwise known as radio faceplate to us dummies) from the radio.

I also disconnected the wiring harness (it actually just sort of popped off) blew some germs into the insides to move stuff around, reassembled the whole thing and, just as Paul T. said, it works like a charm again!

I have to add an important link to his though, and that link is:

http://www.shareamemory.com/radio/removal.htm

whereby the author tells us neophytes how to jimmy rig the duo pin radio removal tool from a metal coat hanger, insert it as he shows us, and take the radio out. I also had to remove the Monaco imitation burl dash plate to remove the wiring harness as it was a wee bit too tight just to remove from the outside of the faceplate: a simple matter of removing 6 screws from the dashboard.

Man, do I feel smart now! What else can I do on this nice coach (2006 Endeavor). The world is my oyster! Thank you once again to sharememory.com and to Paul T. You saved me mucho deniros.

With much gratitude.

Guy
Old 05-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by ChasA:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It's junk - made in China
Is there anything that isn't Chinese junk these days.

I </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Today's junk is tomorrows Sony, Honda and Toyota.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:57 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I just replaced my Magnadyne m9900 because it was doing the exact same thing. I replaced it with a Sony single din radio and it works so much better. It took some custom modification on my part but it wasn't that hard once I figured out what parts to use. If you wish to replace yours I may be able to help you.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:19 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

If you're going to change out the radio, check this thread, it may help.

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2486094452/m/61610048341
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote