Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2008, 04:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi Folks: bought an itasca sunrise new over a year ago. has a jensen vr182 radio in the front. when we got it they replaced a blown right speaker. have now replaced the same speaker four times and it keeps blowing. took it to forrest city where they said they tested the voltage to both front speakers and they both came in at around 7 volts. so they replaced the right speaker again. guess what it blew again. they did discover that the front duct work was not properly connected causing condensation above the radio. we are taking it in, for another warranty repair on the speaker, to suncoast by orlando florida. does anyone have any ideas i can tell these people about what is causing the problem. i think the radio has been damaged by the condensation and hopefully a new radio will fix the problem. any help will be appreciated.
olly72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi Folks: bought an itasca sunrise new over a year ago. has a jensen vr182 radio in the front. when we got it they replaced a blown right speaker. have now replaced the same speaker four times and it keeps blowing. took it to forrest city where they said they tested the voltage to both front speakers and they both came in at around 7 volts. so they replaced the right speaker again. guess what it blew again. they did discover that the front duct work was not properly connected causing condensation above the radio. we are taking it in, for another warranty repair on the speaker, to suncoast by orlando florida. does anyone have any ideas i can tell these people about what is causing the problem. i think the radio has been damaged by the condensation and hopefully a new radio will fix the problem. any help will be appreciated.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Four speakers? Just the right one going bad? Hmmm.. Sounds like the next step is to replace the radio. Seven volts sounds high to me, but that's just a guess. Most speakers only have current on them when they are actually doing something (like making noise.) Were they measuring DC or AC?

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:31 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I'm curious about this 7 volts. Is this a static voltage with the volume turned down? It could easily be a shorted output cap dropping final B+ onto that particular speaker coil. Something you might never notice or hear until it burned up again.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

7 volts DC (+7 and -7) isn't out of line for a typical vehicle audio system. However, it obviously isn't your speakers that are the problem, its the head unit. Undoubtedly, once you replace the unit, your problems will be over. A good technician could scope the output signal (going to that speaker) to identify the source of the problem but under warranty, it would be easier and cheaper to simply put in a new head unit. Best of luck.

Jack

Jack
Old 11-18-2008, 11:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Hi olly,

John, Jeff and Jack have it pegged, if the tech measured 7 Volts on the speaker, he must have measured 7 Volts DC and that aint right. If its a 4 ohm speaker then 7 Volts DC would cause a current of 1.75 Amperes and a constant power of 12.25 Watts. Thats enough to burn out a voice coil. The radio could easily be repaired since it probably has a shorted output capacitor but my guess is that the radio should be replaced under warranty by the dealer or Jenson.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:44 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I represent ASA Electronics, the producer of the JENSEN brand of televisions, stereos, and speakers and the Voyager brand of observation monitors and cameras. At ASA, we strive to provide excellent customer service and product satisfaction and would like to offer some assistance in this matter.

Upon reading your post, I hunted down your VR182 that was sent in from your dealer recently. Inspection revealed that there was water damage to the inside of the radio. When water was present on the circuit board, it created a short on the Audio IC, causing the DC voltage to be directed to the speaker output. This is what caused the repeated damage to the speakers. Eventually the water could dry and the short could no longer be present, which was why it could work intermittently until the speaker was damaged. The Audio IC does degrade due to this water damage over time and will eventually fail, resulting in a permanent loss of audio.

I strongly recommend that the source of water contact to the radio be corrected to prevent any further issues. My understanding is that you have received replacements for your radio and speakers. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance in making your Jensen experience a positive one.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:50 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Love this forum! You guy's amaze me with your knowledge - and the Jensen rep signing on is really quite considerate.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

JENSENRVdirect,

Thanks for your input....and rest assured when I replace my RV radio Jensen will be the first I look at.

Dave
Old 12-24-2008, 04:17 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Hi Folks: I'm the one with the jensen radio speaker problem. Just wanted to thank the jensen rep for replying. He was correct as from my earlyier post about the speaker problem you all kinow it started at the time of purchase as they replaced the speaker right then. then when the problem continued we took it to forest city where all they did was replace the third blown speaker. BUT they did find that the front airconditioner ducts right above the radio had not been connected causing condensation to develop when ever we turned the air on. they did reattach these ducts and so solved that condensation problem. so the rep was right that water caused the original problem to the radio. again the duct man must of been in a hurry and caused the orignal problem. I am not too happy with my experience with the repair facility at forrest city as all they do is replace parts until something works. they did not find the electrical short in my wiring for the automatic awning that was done at suncaoast rv near orlando fla. after the second failure of that device. ok ok enough I've had a ball with my itasca sunrise and HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE

Russ