Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Pulling Cable

I need to run HDMI cable from the front to the bedroom and to the first cargo hold. I have the 39 k with slides on both sides of front portion of coach. Any ideas where/how to run these cables. Anyone know where they ran the coax?
Old 07-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
You will need to run all your new cables thru the basement. Fishing the HDMI down thru the bedroom wall to the basement and back up again at the front of the coach can be challenging but you can do it. You probably need to drill a large (1") hole to accommodate the large HDMI plug. Order a 50' HDMI cable(it's a long run), eBay is a good source. At the same time I would pull a coax from the rear TV to the basement TV, a second coax from the rear TV forward to the SWM output, and(if none exists) a third coax from the basement TV up to the switching box. Coax is cheap and it's a lot easier to pull the coax now in case you need it later. This way you will have a couple of options at a later date to use 1 or 2 or even 3 separate receivers, and all of your DirecTV signals will be running thru new, separate wiring. All of your cable/batwing/DVD signals continue to run thru the old Winegard(?) switching box, and you will control signal input at each TV choosing from 1)DirecTV signal or 2)the switching box(cable/batwing/DVD). All your existing coax cable was run thru the ceiling. I would definitely NOT run your DirecTV signal thru the old Winegard(?) switching box... you would just be asking for trouble in DirecTV-Land. There is a coax running from the back of your switching box to the rear TV... but I would continue to use that one with your switching box to carry the signal to the rear TV from your cable/batwing/DVD outputs. If you need to run wiring into/out of a slide, follow along existing wiring and observe how much slack you need when the slide moves... bundle the new wiring with the old. I wired and used this arrangement in my Itasca Horizon for two years and wouldn't have changed it at all, mine was pre-SWM and I used individual HD receivers at each TV. Good luck, you will learn a lot about your coach as you pull the wiring!
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The coax and other wiring runs through channels routed in the foam before the walls are laminated.
The channels are not always point to point but sometimes have right angles made with a semicircle at the corner.
I think it would be very difficult to pull new wires using the old one.
I think Kent's advice about running the new coax/cables in the basement is good.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I learned I don't need to run HDMI if I use separate Direct TV HD receivers. I would just need coax connected to SWM 1to 4 splitter up front and connect to HD receiver coax in. Then connect HDMI cable from Receiver to TV. So that's what I plan to do. I will install separate HD receivers for each of the three TVs. So I just need to get coax to the first passenger side cargo bay from the SWM splitter I have in the upper cabinets. Any ideas on how to route that cable? We will use a "toner" to find which cable runs to the bedroom and connect it to the SWM splitter . Does this sound like a good plan?
Old 07-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Scottma, did you check in the "slot" under the far end kitchen counter where the plumbing slides in and out? I found a slew of wiring and tv cableling in there where I tapped into the cable for a lead to go to the rear outside bay under the kitchen slide so I could set up a tv in that bay when needed.

I recently installed another exterior light on the curb side about 12" behind the rear awning arm. The wiring comes out in the closet next to the shower, then down and under the shower; I removed the black rectangle cover above the propane tank and ran the wiring thru there and thru all the curb side bays existing at the top of the front bay; pulled the wire up thru the wire bundle that feeds the passenger seat switch panel to install my new switch. I mention this because it is a way to get cabeling/wiring to the front of the coach.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

There is electonic equipment out there now that you don't have to run cables anymore. Runs like wifi wireless router. Saves a TON of work. I'll try to remember who posted the info.

I searched it. Here is the result with links.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Wirel...earch=irv2.com
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Yes that is exactly where I found the coax that runs from bedroom to the wall outlet on the exterior entertainment center. I ran it down through The hole that carries wire to the outlet in the 3rd cargo bay and then ran to front cargo bay.