Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2021, 09:14 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Propane fire pit connection

I just purchased a portable propane fire pit (Outland Firebowl 893), I have the extenda-stay propane adaptor on my 2003 Minnie. I don't bring a 20# tank now because I have the tank that is built into the coach. the extenda-stay has the output that the small green tanks have and one to connect to an external 20# tank. Could I run a hose from that second connection to the firepit? I am unsure if that is a one way valve.
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:55 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I don't use and extend a stay so no comment there but a point to keep in mind might be that you have a point much nearer the passenger side on many RV.
Depending on which RV you have, it might be worth the time to look at the parts drawing of the propane lines going to the inside stove, frig and such if they are on the correct side as they may have a manifold very near where you want it and that is already on the low pressure side of the reg at the tank.
Adding a tee at that point might get you much better use of the hose length if that is the side where you want it??? Or you may have several gas lines already run to that side?
On our Vista it works like this with a number of good options to avoid running the line under or around to the correct side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	manifold.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	176906  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The tank on our Minnie is on the passenger side just behind the tires. So we won't have to run a line under the coach.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:18 AM   #4
Just Trying to Help

Mashmaster-

I recently went through a "though exercise" to determine the best way to feed a firepit from an Extend-a-Stay-type tee fitting. I concluded that using a 1-20 grill hose and a "last-chance steak-saver" adapter was the lowest-cost option that might work. I say "might" because I elected not to buy it and try it, and the fact that the firepit gulps a lot of gas. Still, it will probably work.

Hose here
Adapter here

I believe I have considered about every option for making the Extend-a-Stay more flexible. It would be a long post if I send the pros/cons down. If you are interested in those details, send me a private message. I might consider documenting the options if it would help someone else.

One last note: I have an Outland 870 firepit. It's rated, like yours, at 58,000 BTU/hr at max output. That's more than a typical propane furnace. The firepit appears to burn about 1 gallon of propane in a typical use. I run it off a 20-pound grill cylinder, which means I get about 4 to 5 uses before the cylinder is empty. Tractor Supply fills it at about $2 a gallon. The propane truck at one RV park where I stay charges $5.20 a gallon. A 20-pound cylinder costs about $30 new. If I plan to use the firepit more than 10 times, it pays for me to buy a cylinder, rather than using the tank on the coach. I can also use the cylinder to run my grill, rather than running off the Extend-a-Stay tee. When I leave, I give the cylinder away, as I have no place to carry one safely on the coach.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, it looks like it is best to bring a dedicated tank for the propane firepit. I was just looking for a way to not have to carry a tank. I don't really have a place that I could store it while traveling other than in the coach itself. I tend to do 2 night trips but will do a few longer 5 night trips soon.

I also have a 2009 Honda Fit Sport. Just finished installing the blue ox baseplate and Demco stay N Play brake system. Have you had good success towing yours?

Dave
Old 01-21-2021, 04:48 PM   #6
Just Trying to Help

Dave-

I dunno... for that amount of infrequent use I would buy the hose and the "steak-saver." It's pretty short money to keep from having to carry a cylinder. I would worry if I carried a cylinder in an unsafe location.

We're approaching 30,000 miles of towing the Fit Sport. We have had two problems with the Stay-in-Play Duo:

1) A broken cable on the actuating cylinder (removed, mailed, factory-repaired, reinstalled with factory-recommended slack, this time), and
2) A corroded break-away switch (replaced) (keep spares)

We also keep a spare break-away pin with lanyard in the glovebox of the car.

We have a Roadmaster Sterling towbar and Roadmaster baseplate. No problems to report with those.

On the Honda side, 107k miles on the odometer so far and no significant problems. It's a versatile little car!
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane