Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-12-2007, 06:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I am setting up a portable sat antennea. In the utility bay I have 2 inputs, 1 marked cable and 1 marked port sat ant. I connect my sat to the sat port and assumed that it terminates at the Tv input switcher as there is a cable connected to the SAT input on the switcher. Unfortunately this is not the case. I have looked thru the manual with little info on the subject.

Does anyone know if the rear port is supposed to terminate at the switcher ?

What is the cable attached to the SAT input on the switcher ?

I have tried the cable port and that is correctly wired. I am using the "cable" cable for the satellite.

Any help would be appreciated
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I am setting up a portable sat antennea. In the utility bay I have 2 inputs, 1 marked cable and 1 marked port sat ant. I connect my sat to the sat port and assumed that it terminates at the Tv input switcher as there is a cable connected to the SAT input on the switcher. Unfortunately this is not the case. I have looked thru the manual with little info on the subject.

Does anyone know if the rear port is supposed to terminate at the switcher ?

What is the cable attached to the SAT input on the switcher ?

I have tried the cable port and that is correctly wired. I am using the "cable" cable for the satellite.

Any help would be appreciated
Old 12-13-2007, 02:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The SAT input on the switcher is the output from your Sat receiver. Open the cabinet above the dash in front of the driver. Unless you are very tall, stand on the driver's seat and look above the top shelf in that cabinet. Against the forward wall you should find a set of coax connectors. One is to connect the output of your receiver (this ends up at the switcher). There should also be input from the roof dish or the pre-wire if you don't have a roof dish. I don't have the utility compartment portable hookup, but I would guess that it also terminates in that same cabinet.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I went to the Winne Web site and viewed the wiring diagrams.

I found the panel with DSS inputs from roof and rear in the cabinet on the opposite side from the switcher and AV equipment. I wanted the DSS receiver in the cabinet with all the other equipment, so I jumped the Rear input to the Sat output. Now the SAT cable at the switcher is connected to the rear input port.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2007, 03:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Nice solution! Wouldn't it be great if all of life's little problems were so simple...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I guess I read this wrong on the other forum. So you looped the coax all the way to the rear of the coach and back again?

It's not hard to thread coax between those cabinets. At least on mine there is a fairly large access hole behind the TV with reasonable cabinet access to each cabinet. I rewired mine with either discrete A/V, or component video to get away from the RF feeds to the front TV. The picture is now considerably better.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

On the Sightseer all a/v cabling terminates in the righthand cabinet and that is where the VCR/DVD is as well as the Winegard Video Source switching box.

In the lefthand cabinet is where the DSS cabling terminates, from the roof and from the rear utility compartment. There is also a cable run from the left cabinet to the right cabinet. It is marked "SAT RECEIVER OUT" on the panel and runs to the righthand cabinet and plugs into "IN SAT" on the Winegard switcher.

So all I did was took a short cable and jumped from "Rear DSS IN" to "Sat Rec Out" in the left cabinet and put the the DSS receiver in the righthand cabinet.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:03 PM   #8
KIX
Winnebago Master

That's easy for YOU to say.