Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2008, 08:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Not sure this is the right forum but I will start here. I just purchased an Itasca Sunstar. I have a Garmin Nuvio 650 GPS. In my old Class C I mounted it on the window and could reach it no problem. On my new Class A I almost need binoculars to read it since the window is so far away. OK, maybe I jest a little I did the trip back home with it mounted on the backup camera display. It worked and was accessible but I am not sure it is the best location. My question is "those of you that don't have a built in GPS, where do you mount it?"

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Not sure this is the right forum but I will start here. I just purchased an Itasca Sunstar. I have a Garmin Nuvio 650 GPS. In my old Class C I mounted it on the window and could reach it no problem. On my new Class A I almost need binoculars to read it since the window is so far away. OK, maybe I jest a little I did the trip back home with it mounted on the backup camera display. It worked and was accessible but I am not sure it is the best location. My question is "those of you that don't have a built in GPS, where do you mount it?"

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hi. We have a 2001 Suncruiser and mount our Garmin GPS on the passenger side window. Of course it has to be operated by the navigator. It works fine in our coach.

Workhorse Chassis
Norm3206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I just got a Garmin C330 Street Pilot for Christmas, and I went ahead and purchased the friction mount for it. It has 3 weighted flexible anti-skid 'pod' feet. This mount will allow the GPS to sit on top of my dash module in front of the pilot.

Based on what I have been reading on this forum it should pick up the sattelites just fine being away from the windshield somewhat due to the fiberglass construction of the coach.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I used double back tape to mound a 4"x4" piece of glass on the console. I use the supplied suction cup mount to hold it in place. I can rotate it so I can see or the DW (navigator) can see. I have a Garmin C330. I had an external antenna, that I used on my old Garmin GPS V, and cable adapter (MCX-BNC) so I can put the external antenna on the dash against the windshield. The combo works great.

With this set up I avoid two problems: 1. Garmin says you are NOT supposed to put the GPS in direct sunlight as it may overheat (so why did the supply a windshield mount?); 2. In Calif. we are not allowed to attach anything to the windshield.

I use this setup in my MH,cars, and truck. Turns out I use my GPS in my cars more that I use it in the MH. I would never purchase a vehicle with a built in GPS.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:01 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I mounted my Magellan 760 directly to the wood portion of the dash in my 2002 Ultimate Advantage. I have also mounted the Sirus radio receiver there along with the Pressure Pro monitor. This puts all within easy reach/view and does not obstruct anything. I ran the antenna wires for the Sirus and the Magellan up the driver side post and then outside to be mounted on the air horn metal mounting plate on the roof. All works very well.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have my unit mounted on top of the instrument panel within easy reach. It is about two feet from the windshield and it has no problem receiving up to seven satellites.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:44 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bjbkkb:
Not sure this is the right forum but I will start here. I just purchased an Itasca Sunstar. I have a Garmin Nuvio 650 GPS. In my old Class C I mounted it on the window and could reach it no problem. On my new Class A I almost need binoculars to read it since the window is so far away. OK, maybe I jest a little I did the trip back home with it mounted on the backup camera display. It worked and was accessible but I am not sure it is the best location. My question is "those of you that don't have a built in GPS, where do you mount it?" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a Magellan 6000T portable GPS and don't have it mounted; I simply use the cupholder with the provided mounting stand. GPS works great and it's easy to read.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:59 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

In a related question, I received a new Garmin c550 for Christmas. I tried it out first in my car and it worked just great plugged into my 12v receptical, however when I tried it in my Journey this weekend, I realized after about 3 hours that it was running off its battery and that the 12volt receptical in the Journey wasn't charging the Garmin. Eventually the battery died down and I couldn't use it anymore on that drive. Later I went around the coach trying it in each of my 12volt outlets and sure enough, it wouldn't run in any of them. So, my question is has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you solve it?
Old 01-07-2008, 09:08 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nu2rvs:
In a related question, I received a new Garmin c550 for Christmas. I tried it out first in my car and it worked just great plugged into my 12v receptical, however when I tried it in my Journey this weekend, I realized after about 3 hours that it was running off its battery and that the 12volt receptical in the Journey wasn't charging the Garmin. Eventually the battery died down and I couldn't use it anymore on that drive. Later I went around the coach trying it in each of my 12volt outlets and sure enough, it wouldn't run in any of them. So, my question is has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you solve it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't imagine that your GPS simply doesn't work when other 12v powered equipment does... do you have power to each 12v outlet, or are they all 'dead'? When you first unplug your GPS, is the 12v socket 'dead' but then cycles back on, possibly after cooling off? Of course, I would think that it would blow a fuse and then the fuse would have to be replaced...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:45 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Some plugs don't work in all makes of sockets. I have run into this a couple of times. Sometimes the dual socket adapters will work as an "adapter."
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:24 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Could there be some connection or unconnection through the radio switch or auxiliary battery switch on the dash?
Our 12volt plugs work all through the coach.
Front Dash, alongside Co-Pilot seat, dinette and in the bedroom.

good luck

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I had some trouble getting my GPS powered thru my car cigarette lighter socket. I believe the issue is the mating plug and it's connection into the socket. I bet if you do a 12V test you will find power at your socket, but the male plug is not making appropriate contact due to what other poster's have said.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Also, check the plug on the end of the Garman wire. There is a fuse in that plug that might be blown. The plug unscrews at the end near where that little tip sticks out.

Good Luck

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I've had problems with many of the 12V male plugs. What seems to work for me is to remove the fuse and spring. Place a small flathead brass screw into the end of the spring that contacts the fuse. This seems to make a better connection and has worked for me on several 12v plugs.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote