Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2019, 09:44 AM   #1
Taking it as it goes

Phantom hdmi port on 2018 Navion?

Our 2018 Navion has a hdmi port located on the interior wall behind the swing out TV above the sink. Can any of you tell me what this is for?

Also, the coax roof antenna input jack on that same RCA TV has broken probably from the stress on it from the swing away mount Winnebago designed for this set up. Is there a way to convert the coax antenna signal to hdmi and use one of the exiting hdmi inputs on the tv so I can use this TV? Right now it’s just an expensive cabinet door.

Has anyone replaced this TV?
Free Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:29 AM   #2
Site Team

A broken RF Cable input on your TV is a real bummer and not an easy fix.

Generally you would need a adapter with a TV tuner built in that uses the Coax for the signal and outputs an HDMI signal. You then use this external tuner to change channels - not the TV's tuner.

Assuming it's still under warranty I'd get that TV replaced while you can for free.

If you want to go with an external TV Tuner box here's one on Amazon for $30:

https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HO.../dp/B01EW098XS

I looked at your Operators Manual and saw a photo of it... but no instructions. So, I looked at your wiring diagram. I "think" that it's an HDMI output from the DVD/Radio in your coach. If you connect an HDMI cable from the wall plate to the TV and put a DVD in the Entertainment system of your coach, then select HDMI on the TV Input Source I think you might get better video from the DVD. Also, if you use the above Converter/Tuner I mentioned then I'm guessing that would be the only way to view a DVD from your system.

NOTE: This is all a guess. Good Luck. Just Test everything out.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:00 AM   #3
Taking it as it goes

Thanks! I’ll try that option. We’re on an extended road trip, so trying to get it into a dealer ( you know how efficient that effort is) before the warranty expires next month is probably a non starter.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:06 AM   #4
Site Team

Call Winnebago. Email them a photo of the broken part on the TV. See if they will authorize a replacement TV. Perhaps they'll let you buy a TV and install it yourself. OK, that might take some doing, but perhaps they can ship a replacement to somewhere you're at for a few days or going to be at in a few days.

I just read that that is a 12v TV they cost a bit more. Best would be a call to WBGO and at least get them working on a solution.

I'd guess that WBGO gets the TV from ASA Electronic. They supply Jensen and other RV electronics. You might try contacting them as well. Sometimes that works better than contacting WBGO. If the TV is from them https://www.asaelectronics.com/rv.html. will get you to their website and they have a support link.

Is your TV listed on this webpage:
https://www.asaelectronics.com/rv/lcd-tvs-34.html
Old 10-24-2019, 11:17 AM   #5
Taking it as it goes

You know I thought it was a 12v tv at first, but it only works off the inverter? The TVs an RCA and when I contacted them with the model, they told me it was no longer commercially available. I was thinking that a replacement really would be the best fix and not too expensive. I do plan on contacting WBGO as well so there is at least a record in my file.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Ranger View Post
Our 2018 Navion has a hdmi port located on the interior wall behind the swing out TV above the sink. Can any of you tell me what this is for?

Also, the coax roof antenna input jack on that same RCA TV has broken probably from the stress on it from the swing away mount Winnebago designed for this set up. Is there a way to convert the coax antenna signal to hdmi and use one of the exiting hdmi inputs on the tv so I can use this TV? Right now it’s just an expensive cabinet door.

Has anyone replaced this TV?
The HDMI port is there to allow you to connect a Sat receiver or DVD/Bluray player to your tv. In my Navion I plugged in an HDMI Hub that has my Dish Wally receiver, AppleTV, and Portable Harddrive with movies connected to it. You have to use the Input button on your TV remote to select HDMI2 when you want to use it. It’s set to TV if I want to use the Roof mounted tv antenna. The coax connector on the tv amplifier wall plate is not used on my setup. You do have to use the push button on that plate to turn on the tv amplifier otherwise no tv. The hub has its own remote to select which source I want to use.

Alan
TriGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:14 PM   #7
bkg
Winnebago Owner

As TriGlider stated, the HDMI plate inside the cabinet is for HMDI input from a tabletop DVD/BluRay player or other Media device without having to string the wire to the RCA television.
The RCA is 120 volt and is connected to the inverter.
My coax connector did the exact same thing - loose connector to the TV, like it came loose from inside the television. I was still under warranty and submitted to Winnebago. Still waiting on approval on that and few other items I brought the coach in for.

Bobby
Old 10-31-2019, 12:06 AM   #8
RJ2
Winnebago Camper

HDMI port

Amazon fire stick
RJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago replaces my TV when it happened. HDMI I use for my TiVo input.
Lmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:18 PM   #10
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkg View Post
My coax connector did the exact same thing - loose connector to the TV, like it came loose from inside the television. I was still under warranty and submitted to Winnebago. Still waiting on approval on that and few other items I brought the coach in for.

Bobby
Winnebago approved replacement of the RCA brand TV because of the broken coax connector on the TV; problem is Winnebago no longer has this TV there are not many 28" televisions produced that have match set of connectors (to have the ARC HDMI and audio out RCA connectors for surround sound). Jensen makes the exact same set (an obvious re-brand) but looking to improve over the quality of the RCA/Jensen brand.
Winnebago told the repairing dealer to shop for one locally, the dealer consulted me for selection. I'm stuck. I can't even go bigger since the clearance of the 28" barely squeezes in the current mounting arrangement.

Anyone with a similar install have any experience with the replacement of the
RCA 28GT60?

Bobby
Old 11-18-2019, 12:19 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

As an FYI, I recently found that on my 2016 View 24V the hdmi port in the galley tv cabinet feeds to an existing hdmi splitter (feeding the rear tv) under the bottom galley drawer.
I believe that 2016 was the first year for the hdmi cable to the rear tv in the V/N's.
Read somewhere that the front tv is 12v using an AC converter plug. If this proves true, one of my next mods will be to rewire the front tv power cable to plug into 12v and eliminate the need to use the inverter to watch OTA signals on the front tv. Regards, Mike
Seymour2Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:58 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

We have a 2016G. Do you know how to get the satellite connection to the rear tv? The rear tv is a 12 v. It looks very difficult to remove the tv from mount, but that’s the only way the connections can be seen.
Bsutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:54 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Bsutton, I believe that the rear tv on 2016's and later has an HDMI cable prewired from the wall plate behind the front TV. This HDMI cable goes to a splitter under the bottom galley drawer which is then cabled back to the front and rear TV's.
The rear TV can be easily removed from the mount by removing two set screws on the bottom of the mount and then tilt the TV out and lift it off the mount.
Hope this helps. Regards, Mike
Old 12-12-2019, 07:27 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Seymour2lane, Thanks for your reply about the setup for the View. I’ll go out tomorrow and check for the cable. But, I don’t quite understand-is there something that has to be connected to get the rear tv to work on satellite?
We asked the service department at the dealer, and it seems they don’t know anymore than we do! In the travel trailer we had before this motor home, we had to run a cable from a splitter to the rear tv. We routed it on the ceiling with those cable “hiders”. We’re not about to do that on our beautiful motorhome!
Bsutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Bsutton,
My 2016 View was purchased used in March. Pre-purchase, I was able to confirm with Winnebago support that my coach was prewired with an HDMI cable to the rear TV. It already had a Dish Tailgater on the roof but no Wally.
All I had to do was connect a coaxial cable from the wall plate marked 'Satellite Receiver Connection from Roof' to the new Wally and an HDMI cable from the Wally to the HDMI wall plate in the TV cabinet. On my setup the input on both TV's for the satellite is HDMI-2.
Hope this helps, Mike