Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2005, 04:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

My outside radio has a mind of its own, it has come on by itself several times. I think i have turned everything off, but today i went to start it up, engine startd fine, outside radio came on, vehicle batteries ok and charged, but coach batteries were down to 5 amps. What is happening?

2004 Saturn Vue
keleri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

My outside radio has a mind of its own, it has come on by itself several times. I think i have turned everything off, but today i went to start it up, engine startd fine, outside radio came on, vehicle batteries ok and charged, but coach batteries were down to 5 amps. What is happening?

2004 Saturn Vue
Old 09-19-2005, 04:58 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

keleri: Please identify your rig specifics (year, model, length, etc); it's best to do this under your "signature" so you don't have to do it each post.

My outside entertainment ctr radio did the same thing--came On by itself. I removed the radio (two bayonet connectors on each side). Then I pressed firmly with my thumb on the Power button until I felt a slight "give" and a mechanical "click". I figure the Power button was getting hung up on some portion of the interior board, and was in an "in-between" mode.

Anyway, it worked & have not had the problem since. It was my last resort before getting a new radio from Jensen/Audiovox. My model is CD3010X.
Jensen/Audiovox 800-323-4815
Protech Electronics (repair) 919-562-5445

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 01:58 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

My "entertainment center" radio, a Jensen too, has done the same mystery on/off a couple of times. I was quite sure I'd turned it off previously, only to come back to the coach several days later and hear the faint sounds of music. Now I make sure I push the power button real good (like Thudman says). But I still have a suspicion there's "some other trigger in the area", like somebody's garage door opener or a strong CB radio?? Oh well, not a problem for the past 4 months...
Old 09-20-2005, 05:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

On my outside radio (Sony), if you just push the off button once, it puts the radio into stand-by mode (clock is still activated). Push and hold the off button in for a second or two and it kills the radio completely. Anything can happen in the stand by mode. I have had it come on by itself in that mode.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 06:45 AM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

I had a Sony in my 2001 and most recently a Jensen in my 2003 however I changed out the radio in our Adventurer for a JVC. Sounds better, looks better, easier to use and it tastes great!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:03 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Speaking of radios, my wife promised me a birthday gift of swapping out my dash radio, with something that is more user friendly. Who has replaced their's and with what brand and model. It must have a remote so I can turn the volume and station changing duties over to my navigator. BTW Driver, was it a question of you not liking your Jensen or was there some other reason????LOL

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 12:17 PM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Captain Bud:
BTW Driver, was it a question of you not liking your Jensen or was there some other reason????LOL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>After having washed the underside of my awning I discovered that the Jensen drowned.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Driver----I heard that Jensen was made by Workhorse.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:12 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We have the same radio gremlin in our bedroom radio. Kept turning it off. Next thing you know it'd be on again. DH kept thinking he must have bumped it while making his side of the bed, changing clothes...etc.

One day while we were setting up the satellite receiver in the bedroom we used the remote to turn on the satellite receiver and heard the radio come on! Mystery solved! Our radio works with the Direct TV remote!

Were you using any tv/receiver remotes in the rv before this happened? (Hope it's this simple for you!)
Jeanne M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:16 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I checked my motorhome today, my outside radio was off, its a magnadyne with remote, we don't use the remote, (never can seem to find it.) my vhecle batteries were up, but my coach batteries were low (8.5), better than the other day. I Still can't find what is draining the coach batteries. Any ideas?

2004 Saturn Vue
Old 09-22-2005, 04:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

How about the Anetnna booster for the TV, that seems to be independent of the aux. cut off switch?
Old 09-23-2005, 04:06 PM   #13
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don K:
Driver----I heard that Jensen was made by Workhorse. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No actually it was made by Seahorse.