Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

One more Sony replaced and S. sound works

I would like to 'tell the story' of my replacement and give some hints to the next person doing a similar update, hoping it will make their installation easier.

I followed the guidance of other posts on removing the wood faceplate and under panel. From there the removal was fairly straight forward. Please have a couple of strong agile people ready to lift the Sony out and remove it from the motorhome.

I had not watched a TV show since the analog went out of date, so I did not require an extravagant TV, I got a Vizio E291iA1, cost and size were my main interest points.

To get the surround sound from my TV to the coach I had to use the 3.5 mini plug in the headset jack. For this I had to purchase a cable. This worked but I had a disturbing buzz so I installed the filter that was used on the original Sony. There were only 11 screws to remove to open the Sony. Then clip the wires that were soldered to the speakers. I should have soldered on female RCA jacks but I didn't have any on hand, see pictures.

HINT: If for some reason you can not get any sound out of your surround sound DON"T overlook the wires attached to your Radio - TV switch. I had one short wire and it came off when trying to straighten out the spaghetti wire mess behind the old Sony. This thing drove me nuts for a long time.

Here are 3 pictures, good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Headset jack cable copy.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	52340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony noise filter used with Vizio 1 copy.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	52341  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony noise filter used with Vizio 2 copy.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	52342  
Old 12-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the information. Does your tv remote control the surround sound volume in this configuration?
Old 12-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Yes, the only control I have for the volume is the TV remote, not the radio.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I just changed out the original Sony TV in our '05 Horizon 36RD with a Samsung LED TV. I did what erniet did for the audio cable; but, our TV remote will only control the volume and mute the audio for the TV speakers. It will not mute or adjust volume on the surround sound speakers. I'm going to try opening the Samsung, remove the RCA tips that I soldered to the cable, and solder the ends to the TV speakers to see if that works for me.
luckydog1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:07 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog1949 View Post
I just changed out the original Sony TV in our '05 Horizon 36RD with a Samsung LED TV. I did what erniet did for the audio cable; but, our TV remote will only control the volume and mute the audio for the TV speakers. It will not mute or adjust volume on the surround sound speakers. I'm going to try opening the Samsung, remove the RCA tips that I soldered to the cable, and solder the ends to the TV speakers to see if that works for me.
I had a 2007 Cambria with an old tube style Sony TV. I also had the surround sound speakers. Reading previous posts, you need to make sure the new TV has "Variable Audio Output." This will allow you to adjust your surround sound volume. Very few new TVs made have this feature. Most now have "Fixed Audio Output." I found a JVC 32" flat screen that had variable audio output that worked perfect. I believe Sony still makes TVs with the variable audio output feature. There are other solutions, but they involved soldering some wires to the speakers (like you mentioned above if I remember correctly).
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Gents,
This is all very interesting to me. We have an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD and yes, it still has the perfectly working Sony "200 lb. beast" as the original TV. I hate throwing things away that work perfectly fine. But, in the interest of, progress, better quality, possibly more channels, and, maybe a mile per gallon better due to weight loss, we too will be changing out that dinosaur sometime in the near future.

Our surround sound works but, not all that well. I'm reasonably sure it's the same surround sound system, and components, that most or all of you have in your coaches. And that is, two base speakers, (one at the drivers left foot and, one in the base of the refrigerator) and, three small overhead speakers up front and, two over head speakers in the rear galley/living room area.

During radio operations, the sound quality and ability to separate/control the sound i.e. left/right/forward/rear is way better than with the TV system in play. With the TV, I have no ability to control fading or, left to right.

So, I'm hoping that when we purchase a new TV, maybe some of the sound quality will be better but, I'm no engineer for acoustics and stereo design. I read all your info here with great interest and learning. I would have never known about the "variable" portion of sound output if I'd have not read it hear. I sure appreciate your info here. Now, if I could just remember where to find it when the time comes to change out that TV. Thanks again.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I finally got in and soldered the cable from the surround sound system to the speaker wires inside the Samsung TV. Surround sound works well, now. Now, I'm just building out the cabinet so it looks good and we can use the area behind the new TV.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:42 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

All,

Thanks for the info about the sound system. Any tips or lessons learned from building the mount inside the cage for the TV. Some us metal some use 2x4s and plywood. We pulled the SONY out last weekend and its time to build the mount.
ArmyGuy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:19 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

TV Mounting and framework

ArmyGuy,
I made a steel bracket to mount the TV to a 3/4" plywood board I mounted towards the back of the steel framework. My TV does not fill vertically the original opening. I contoured a couple of pieces of 2X4s to put in the lower corners for the TV to rest on. I had a friend, cabinet maker, add some woodwork to the sides and top of the original frame opening so the TV could rest against something. I just made the trip from WI to AZ, the TV rides very solid.
I went to Walmart and purchased some black foam-like shelf lining. I have the bottom of the steel framework covered with this lining and I also put some of this on the back side of the wood framework for a cushion of the TV to the wood. The area under the TV has been a good place for the TV remote and the VCR/DVD remote. The bigger remote we found had to be place with the keys down while we are traveling as it would eventually bounce out. Oh yes, I installed a piece of 1/8" X 3/4" steel across the bottom framework to reduce the chance of 'things' bouncing out.
Now you have my 2 cents worth. Good luck!
Old 02-02-2014, 08:21 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

When I changed mine out I just routed out the back of the face frame so the new tv would fit tighter to the frame and used Velcro to hold it to the face frame. This cushions it for vibration and after several trips it has not moved at all. The new tvs don't weigh much so they don't need to be mounted as strongly as the old one did.
BobnMelba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:08 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnMelba View Post
When I changed mine out I just routed out the back of the face frame so the new tv would fit tighter to the frame and used Velcro to hold it to the face frame. This cushions it for vibration and after several trips it has not moved at all. The new tvs don't weigh much so they don't need to be mounted as strongly as the old one did.
can you please post pictures?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnMelba View Post
To each his own; but, we decided to err on the side of caution. I built a frame, attaching it to the existing metal housing with metal brackets, and mounted the TV to that framework. I'd rather take the time to do this than for me or the DW to face a chance of being struck in the head by a flying TV while on the highway. Even though newer TVs only weigh between 12 to 20 pounds, if I can pull them loose from their mounting with my bare hands (velcro), it's nowhere near secure enough. JMHO.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:24 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

"I can pull them loose from their mounting with my bare hands (velcro)"

I sure hope so ... or we'd have a lot of us seniors permanently wearing our special occasion shoes

Old 02-04-2014, 05:51 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Clarification

I must not have made it clear that I put the velcro on the inside of the cabinet face frame. It cannot fall out.
BobnMelba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace