Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2020, 08:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

OEM replacement or upgrade?

Im looking to upgrade some electronics on my 2010 Tour 42 AD and was wondering with others have done. Upfront i have the factory GPS, rear view camera and radio stack. 3 separate components. I purchased s Garmin drive 65 to replace the GPS and would love to do the same for the camera LCD and radio. Any suggestions. I can easily replace it with OEM but its not really upgrading the quality of the product. I know ill lose the steering wheel controls and that is okay. Ive been searching for a website that offers ideas for upgrading these systems and haven't had any luck.

Also...do they run any wires through the void in the roof or is everything run below? If i change the rear camera i may have to rewire it.

thanks
LSU2MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:41 AM   #2
Site Team

You could try asking at www.irv2.com. It's a much larger forum with a lot more members and posts. It's run by the owner of this site - and this site is an offshoot of IRV2's Winnie owners subforum there.

I"m sure folks have changed out lots of radios and electronics but not necessarily on your 2010 Tour model or maybe they have and not posted about it.

As for wires... they are strung everywhere roof, walls, floor. ETC. I think you'll find all the camera wires are in the ceiling.

Winnebago builds the roof with custom Styrofoam blocks that route Air to and from the A/C units and each block has wire channels custom molded into the blocks. There is not much if any info on where those channels are.

Summing up... in general you will be on your own but it CAN be done. Perhaps start with the radio. That should be easier. Most radios come in DIN sizes: single, 1 1/2 or double. Find yours by model number and then look for replacements.

Here's a suggestion I make to a lot of folks that want to do what you want to do - take the RV to a Professional Car Audio retailer/installation shop. They'll know what works and how to do it.

Since you're in Montana, that may not be so easy. "Auto Trim Design" in Helena says they do that kind of work. Also "Auto Concepts," "Ron's Automotive Specialties" and "Barreta Audio" all claim to do Car Audio work in Helena.

Auto Trim Design of Helena Welcomes You
https://autoconceptshelena.com/

College towns like Bozeman are best choices - I know it's 80 miles away but Bozeman has 3 or 4 dedicated Car Audio places.

Sometimes a call to Crutchfield for some advice can be helpful. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
You could try asking at www.irv2.com. It's a much larger forum with a lot more members and posts. It's run by the owner of this site - and this site is an offshoot of IRV2's Winnie owners subforum there.

I"m sure folks have changed out lots of radios and electronics but not necessarily on your 2010 Tour model or maybe they have and not posted about it.

As for wires... they are strung everywhere roof, walls, floor. ETC. I think you'll find all the camera wires are in the ceiling

Since you're in Montana, that may not be so easy. "Auto Trim Design" in Helena says they do that kind of work. Also "Auto Concepts," "Ron's Automotive Specialties" and "Barreta Audio" all claim to do Car Audio work in Helena.

Auto Trim Design of Helena Welcomes You
https://autoconceptshelena.com/

College towns like Bozeman are best choices - I know it's 80 miles away but Bozeman has 3 or 4 dedicated Car Audio places.

Sometimes a call to Crutchfield for some advice can be helpful. Good luck.
I just found an example of the Styrofoam you were talking about. There's noway im fishing wires through that! I've had auto trim do some work for me before, ill give them a call. I'll post in the other forum as well, you're right, a lot more members. I love electronics and house electrical work. You've been a lot of help with these RV electronics. Thanks again
Old 08-10-2020, 11:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I've not done a close look on your specific RV but the coax for rear cameras are sometimes run under the trim at the roof edge, making them much easier to replace if needed. .
EDIT: This gives coax location/info for your RV and the coax does go down the cove at the left side and down the column at the front, per sheet one looking at the option triangle number 2 down in the left corner.
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_169861.pdf
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I've not done a close look on your specific RV but the coax for rear cameras are sometimes run under the trim at the roof edge, making them much easier to replace if needed. .
EDIT: This gives coax location/info for your RV and the coax does go down the cove at the left side and down the column at the front, per sheet one looking at the option triangle number 2 down in the left corner.
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_169861.pdf
Nice find. May i ask where u found that! Thanks for the help!

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, upgrade